Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 01:52 PM

14 posts, read 18,579 times

Advertisements

Hello again,

It looks like me, my wife, and our 3 year old son will be moving to Hampton instead of Fox Chapel. I just have one question: why do people always call it "The Bubble"? I have heard that it is a fairly affluent area, however. We have a middle-class income and are looking for a home between $150-200K. Will my son be one of the only kids at his school with that kind of background?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,694 times
I live in Hampton, and have never heard it called "the bubble" lived here since 1995, my son went through the district, def has pros and cons....cons are how they like to keep their blue ribbon (or did) status at all costs up to and including labeling kids and not offering adequate support. Until I got remarried in 2006 I admit it was a little rough on the soccer fields with some (not all) sahm. My husband and I are middle class, son ended up quite awesome despite Hampton's predictions and we couldn't be more pleased! That said, I much prefer the north hills and where we are than anywhere around Pittsburgh, short of moving to the OBX! I think you will be just fine. We've established a great network of friends that live here now and all "middle class".

Old 02-21-2016, 02:38 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Never once heard it called the bubble. I expect he'll do well and much better than in FC.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Daddy View Post
Hampton is a fairly affluent area, however. We have a middle-class income and are looking for a home between $150-200K. Will my son be one of the only kids at his school with that kind of background?
You will be fine. Hampton IS middle class, or what is left of middle class. People in Hampton can't afford Country Clubs or super expensive dining, but it is pretty solid. Your middle or lower middle will be more than welcome there. It is NO Fox Chapel and not even close to the funding of the school system by residents of FC, which is the wealthiest town in the state, but Hampton is a nice little working class suburb. You will fit right in. Lots of pickups and work vans around there.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
You will be fine. Hampton IS middle class, or what is left of middle class. People in Hampton can't afford Country Clubs or super expensive dining, but it is pretty solid. Your middle or lower middle will be more than welcome there. It is NO Fox Chapel and not even close to the funding of the school system by residents of FC, which is the wealthiest town in the state, but Hampton is a nice little working class suburb. You will fit right in. Lots of pickups and work vans around there.
Pretty sure the wealthiest town in the state is Rossyln Farms...and pretty sure Hampton isn't middle class.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:54 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Northern Allegheny County is getting more expensive. A quick search shows very few homes under 200k in that district. If you are the guy from Erie, a middle class neighborhood in Pittsburgh is above $200k. Life is much different here. I know parents that put out most of their paychecks to keep their kids on top of the trends in order to be "in" and they don't attend the wealthiest school districts. Good luck.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 02-21-2016 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 07:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Hampton is a very orderly, low crime community that has a lot to say for it. Good schools, a lot of salt of the earth types, certainly not exceedingly wealthy, but pretty much middle class. Close to the McKnight Road shopping district, as well as their own on Route 8 as well as the Richland Mall up there.

Its a good selection for a lot of people.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:00 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Northern Allegheny County is getting less middle class. A quick search shows very few homes under 200k in that district. If you are the guy from Erie, a middle class neighborhood in Pittsburgh is above $200k. Life is much different here.
Middle class would be a home under $500,000 IMHO. Of course that is JUST the home. If you have to take a mortgage instead of cash then you may not even be middle if you can get some back loan for that $500K. Class is more about net worth, which is what you have minus debt. Some so-called middle class are worth nothing, BUT live in a $500K home. Those folks aren't middle class, but they think they are wealthy. They are fake and a TON of them are in the North Hills. The real money is in Fox Chapel. There is real savings and money. Less fake stuff going on. Enjoy!

Old 02-21-2016, 08:05 PM

FC median age is almost 50 with a lot of old $$$. It's a nice, quiet, dark, and sleepy little area.

There's a whole lot of $$$ in the North Hills along with more to do. More to do in Hampton also and imo better suited for kids.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:14 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Sometimes I don't think anyone besides myself has taken a drive up McKnight Road past North Park Mall in the last 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh