Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On 04/26/2016, My Vote in the Democratic Presidential Primary for PA Will Be For...
Sec. Hillary Rodham Clinton (NY) 29 32.95%
Sen. Bernard "Bernie" Sanders (VT) 52 59.09%
I Plan to Vote for a Write-In Candidate 7 7.95%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 05:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
. Black folks love the Clinton's in spite of. The black middle class grew more under the Clinton administration than any other before or after.

You don't give any credit to the Congress of the 1990's that was led by Uncle Newtie and featured Gov. Kasich as a key player?

Old 03-09-2016, 05:58 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
You don't give any credit to the Congress of the 1990's that was led by Uncle Newtie and featured Gov. Kasich as a key player?
F?ck uncle newtie. It was the Clinton administration not the Gingrich administration.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:10 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
F?ck uncle newtie. It was the Clinton administration not the Gingrich administration.
Can you tell us what specifically Bill Clinton did for the African American community, and why you now associate it with Hillary today?

Old 03-09-2016, 06:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Clinton couldn't have signed Welfare Reform and other proposals if they weren't passed by congress first.

The system is a lot more checks and balances than you might think

Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Back on topic instead of the race thingy, it is interesting most of our group would go with Sanders. Sadly, I don't think it will matter by the time all this gets to PA. The states aren't aligned for Sanders, since all the more progressive states are mostly at the very end, so it is pretty much over. Clinton is focusing on the GOP now and this is over. I really don't like the way the primaries are run with such a long time to get to the coastal big states. Sure favors Clinton in this case.

Nice topic SCR. I thought it would get shut down, but it stayed. Nice.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:56 PM

281 posts, read 340,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Can you tell us what specifically Bill Clinton did for the African American community, and why you now associate it with Hillary today?
Hey Mr. Eugenics, remember when you posted on here that African-Americans have lower IQs than white people?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Back on topic instead of the race thingy, it is interesting most of our group would go with Sanders. Sadly, I don't think it will matter by the time all this gets to PA. The states aren't aligned for Sanders, since all the more progressive states are mostly at the very end, so it is pretty much over. Clinton is focusing on the GOP now and this is over. I really don't like the way the primaries are run with such a long time to get to the coastal big states. Sure favors Clinton in this case.

Nice topic SCR. I thought it would get shut down, but it stayed. Nice.
Figured I would try and try and hide that last post on this thread, since it will get it closed. This is an interesting thread and could go on until we actually vote, but of course there is always someone trying to do the "race thingy". Everything seems to be about this race thing. Strange stuff, but it is in these days.

Maybe we can discuss what could be at stake in this election. We could vote for someone that is actually against the bank stronghold on our young people, starting them out with student loans of crazy amounts of money. How is a young person without rich parents going to afford to start their lives? Buy a home? Good luck with that being in the hole over $100K. The only candidate that may fix it is Sanders. Hilary is in bed with the banks and of course Trump could care less.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:39 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
How is a young person without rich parents going to afford to start their lives? Buy a home? Good luck with that being in the hole over $100K. The only candidate that may fix it is Sanders. Hilary is in bed with the banks and of course Trump could care less.
If kids these days are stupid enough to finance themselves to the hilt (and if their parents are stupid enough to co-sign for them), then they deserve what comes their way afterwards. There are still plenty of affordable options for college education - community colleges, CLEP testing, state universities. Not everyone has to go to a private liberal arts school, or spend 4 years living in Oakland and partying at Pitt as part of The College Experience. It's a lie advanced by the irresponsible that you need $100k of debt to finance an American education in 2016.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:24 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
If kids these days are stupid enough to finance themselves to the hilt (and if their parents are stupid enough to co-sign for them), then they deserve what comes their way afterwards. There are still plenty of affordable options for college education - community colleges, CLEP testing, state universities. Not everyone has to go to a private liberal arts school, or spend 4 years living in Oakland and partying at Pitt as part of The College Experience. It's a lie advanced by the irresponsible that you need $100k of debt to finance an American education in 2016.
To be fair, when you were 16-17, were you mature enough psychologically, emotionally, and mentally to fully grasp the repercussions of how profoundly the decisions you would make over the course of the next year would impact your entire life? If you were, then good for you, as you are in a small minority.

If I could have done things differently I would have gone to a local community college for my first two years of undergraduate studies while I continued to grow into adulthood and determine what it was I really wanted to accomplish in life. Instead I applied to and enrolled within an expensive private liberal arts college that my father and sister also graduated from in order to try to curry favor with a father whom I never felt truly loved me, and I majored in something to "follow the money" (Accounting) instead of following my heart (Urban Planning and/or Architecture). Now I'm pretty much a failure in life---chronically underemployed and still paying off hefty student loan bills that have prevented me from buying a house, even at age 29, as I watch this city trend more and more affluent with each successive year.

If I thought the military was more LGBT-tolerant back in the late-2000's I gladly would have considered enlisting to see the world and help pay for school. Even with DADT I just assumed homophobia probably still ran rampant within the ranks, with straight guys afraid gay guys would take advantage of them in the showers instead of treating us with equal respect.

Just a lot of bad luck. Some bad decisions are on me, too, of course.

In any event it's easy to stand upon a pedestal and judge others (see Donald Trump). It's even more impressive to approach a podium and preach values of equality and justice, though, which is why I'll vote for Bernie Sanders in April and then sit out the general election in November, just like at least 1/3 of Sanders's supporters are also planning to do.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/poll-33-...120220441.html

Old 03-10-2016, 07:22 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
To be fair, when you were 16-17, were you mature enough psychologically, emotionally, and mentally to fully grasp the repercussions of how profoundly the decisions you would make over the course of the next year would impact your entire life? If you were, then good for you, as you are in a small minority.

If I thought the military was more LGBT-tolerant back in the late-2000's I gladly would have considered enlisting to see the world and help pay for school. Even with DADT I just assumed homophobia probably still ran rampant within the ranks, with straight guys afraid gay guys would take advantage of them in the showers instead of treating us with equal respect.
[/url]
At 17, I was.
I toyed with the idea of going to some prestigious schools. Tulane. American University. U of Toronto. U of Glasgow. Ended up applying to less expensive, but still good schools - Arcadia and Pitt. Got accepted to both. Half scholarship offer to Arcadia. But I was scared of starting my adult life with such a load of debt. And I wasn't sure of what I wanted to study, and hence didn't want to invest in education with such uncertainty.

So I took a gap year. I worked with my dad on the graveyard shift doing backbreaking warehouse work for 5 months after graduating high school, saved my pennies, and then spent 3 months backpacking across Europe independently (Ireland to Poland and points in between).

I came home and did a year at community college. Joined the National Guard for state tuition benefits and Federal GI Bill benefits. Finished my degree at a state university (an SSHE school, not a Commonwealth school). Did over a semester's worth of work by CLEP tests. I did a BA in 2.5-3 years. Came out with less than $10k debt.

Everything was provided by me, or through opportunities I earned. I didn't get a dollar from my family for my education - hence the decisions I made. And hence the utter disdain and contempt I feel towards people who irresponsibly racked up triple digit debt and are now looking to taxpaying citizens such as myself to bail them out.

I never observed any homophobia in my Air Force unit. Nobody cared, as long as you did your job and acted professionally. You can still enlist - look into options with the Air Guard at the 171st Air Refueling Wing at Pgh Airport (www.goang.com). I think you'd be a good fit in Aviation Resource Management, Logistics Plans, Maintenance Management Analysis, Photojournalist, or Public Health. The website shows all of those specialties are open. Look into it at least - talk to the Air Guard and see how the state benefits could help you, and then talk to some Reserve recruiters (I'd recommend AF or Navy) and see how federal benefits could help you. And then go from there - it's not too late!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh