Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,860 times

Advertisements

Looking to rent an apartment with a couple friends, we're all recent college grad girls in our early 20's. We've found a few places we liked, but the one we like the most is on Keystone Street in Upper Lawrenceville. Is this a safe area? I've been hearing mixed things about this part of Lawrenceville so I just wanted to see if anyone who lives there/near there has any input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 05:41 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Where have you lived before? It's perfectly safe by city standards, but that's assuming basic street smarts.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:01 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
Its been on the upswing for years now. Its pretty much fine, but as in any gritty city neighborhoods, use a bit of street smarts. Don't be obviously drunk wandering the streets at 200 am by yourself.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:58 AM

121 posts, read 110,946 times
Here's a similar thread I posted a few months ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...er-safety.html

I ultimately choose the Strip District over Upper Lawrenceville but I spend quite a bit of time in Lawrenceville.

As others have noted, just use common sense. If you are going out to the bars late at night, take an uber/lyft back to your place.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:19 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
I'm in my 20's and have lived in Upper Lawrenceville for most of my life. It has improved significantly since I was younger and I do not feel unsafe in general here. After all, they are developing the former McCleary school into condos and town homes with prices up to $500k so there has to be demand to live here with that going on. Keystone Street is fine, though if you're used to quieter suburbs and smaller towns, it may seem a little loud in the area at first.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Where have you lived before? It's perfectly safe by city standards, but that's assuming basic street smarts.
I'm from McKeesport, so really anything better than there seems safe to me. But my 3 friends are all from more quiet areas such as Upper St. Clair and such, so they're more worried about it than I am. Obviously using basic common sense/street smarts, and we wouldn't be walking at night alone or anything. They were more worried about theft/breaking into cars and such. They've heard there's been a few problems with that in the area.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:32 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Yes, depending on where exactly you end up you might think carefully about where to park, whether to have a home alarm, that sort of thing. I still think it's safe, but peace of mind is nice. I honestly feel safer in Lawrenceville than I do in parts of Oakland, FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh