Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Look, I was responding to a general comment about how "America is too big" -- all I meant is that it's hard to reach consensus across such a large geographic area as this country. I understand that the bigger picture is more complicated than what I can type on my phone while bored at a bus stop. Got it.
I did not appreciate you implying that I was too ignorant to understand that there are red, blue and "swing" states, whatever it is you meant by that, and that you couldn't convince me. What you don't seem to get is that there is a wide distribution of these states, which wouldn't be resolved by dividing the country up geographically. See this: "Of those in solid red territory, four are in the South, as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau (Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alabama and South Carolina), four are in the Mountain West (Utah, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming), three are in the Midwest (North Dakota, South Dakota and Kansas), and the other is Alaska. Of those, Wyoming is the most Republican state, with 31.8 percent of respondents over the course of the last year identifying as Republican or leaning Republican. ... The solid Democratic states in 2015 were largely coastal (California, New York, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey), with a few inland outliers (Illinois, New Mexico and Vermont). The only two states that moved in a more Democratic direction in 2015 were New Mexico and Nebraska (which, as stated above, still leans Republican)."

Read more: Gallup: Red states now outnumber blue states - POLITICO
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Note that the blue states span the country, and there are red states everywhere except the northeast and the west coast (though some consider Idaho, or at least part of it as west coast). Note also that even in Wyoming, the reddest of the reds, only 31% consider themselves Republican or leaning Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 06:07 PM

432 posts, read 360,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What you don't seem to get is that there is a wide distribution of these states, which wouldn't be resolved by dividing the country up geographically.
Of course things are considerably more fragmented than that. Having lived in CA, OR, and WA, I can attest that in general the eastern and rural portions of all these states are pretty conservative. Long live the Great State of Jefferson!

To address the original topic: I've never lived in the Midwest or on the East Coast. As a relative Pgh newbie of less than two years, I don't consider Pittsburgh particularly NE or Appalachian or Great Plains (which is what I think of when I think of the Midwest, shows what I know.) I guess I'm on Team Mid-Atlantic (although I'll admit to a complete ignorance of any such named region prior to moving here and seeing the question addressed on this forum. What *are* they teaching kids in school these days?!?)

Old 03-16-2016, 06:17 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,601,850 times
Quote:
I did not appreciate you implying that I was too ignorant to understand that there are red, blue and "swing" states...

I never thought you were ignorant. I don't think we have a substantive disagreement about anything. I was making a broad generalization about the fact that it's hard to reach consensus in this country. You are continuing to argue that the picture is more complicated than that. You are correct. The rest is you reading a whole lot of stuff into comments that aren't meant to be taken very seriously. I am really only responding because I feel bad about this, not because I actually care what you think of me or my general understanding of the world.

I do think debates would be resolved more quickly in a smaller country, not because that makes the populace less divergent in their opinions, but simply because it's easier to establish productive dialogue when the group of people is smaller. It's a very banal point, and I am sorry that it seems to be upsetting you so deeply. I know it's awful when strangers on the Internet are wrong.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
Of course things are considerably more fragmented than that. Having lived in CA, OR, and WA, I can attest that in general the eastern and rural portions of all these states are pretty conservative. Long live the Great State of Jefferson!

To address the original topic: I've never lived in the Midwest or on the East Coast. As a relative Pgh newbie of less than two years, I don't consider Pittsburgh particularly NE or Appalachian or Great Plains (which is what I think of when I think of the Midwest, shows what I know.) I guess I'm on Team Mid-Atlantic (although I'll admit to a complete ignorance of any such named region prior to moving here and seeing the question addressed on this forum. What *are* they teaching kids in school these days?!?)
As I said upthread, I learned that term back in grade school in the 50s. I guess it's a PA thing. Whereas I had never heard of the "Upper Midwest" until I don't know exactly when, but I was well out of college by then.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
People happy with things in the old world didn't leave.

I visited the town in Germany from which mine came and saw 3 war memorials - for the Franco Prussian war, WWI and WWII. The first had about 20 names, half of which were my relatives. The WWI memorial had about 40 names on it. My people left around 1880 so they avoided that one. The WWII memorial had over 100 names. There are only about 300 homes in the town.

That really brought home to me that they made the right decision leaving.
My mom's mom's family left Germany some time before the US civil war, so my great gf could avoid the German draft. Instead, he enlisted in the 26th Wisconsin Infantry for the Civil War and saw action at a number of major battles. He helped Gen. Sherman burn down Atlanta. His unit was at Gettysburg, but he was in a Confederate hospital at the time, having been taken prisoner during the battle of Chancellorsville. (Rumor has it a confederate doctor let him escape.) He shook hands with Abraham Lincoln when Lincoln reviewed the troops at the end of the war, shortly before he (Lincoln) was shot.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:43 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,066,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
People happy with things in the old world didn't leave.

I visited the town in Germany from which mine came and saw 3 war memorials - for the Franco Prussian war, WWI and WWII. The first had about 20 names, half of which were my relatives. The WWI memorial had about 40 names on it. My people left around 1880 so they avoided that one. The WWII memorial had over 100 names. There are only about 300 homes in the town.

That really brought home to me that they made the right decision leaving.
I've been interested in going back to my great grandfather's home village (which was also my great grandmother's - they didn't know each other in the village because her family immigrated when she was three, while he waited until 17 - they happened to meet up through mutual acquaintances once in America). That said, the village is now in Romania, and was completely ethnically cleansed of ethnic Germans (who made up the entire population) following World War II. So I sort of don't see the point. Maybe the family homes of my great grandparents are still standing however.

I'm pretty certain I have some third cousins and the like who live in Germany today. But there's really no purpose in meeting them.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:24 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,557,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I've been interested in going back to my great grandfather's home village (which was also my great grandmother's - they didn't know each other in the village because her family immigrated when she was three, while he waited until 17 - they happened to meet up through mutual acquaintances once in America). That said, the village is now in Romania, and was completely ethnically cleansed of ethnic Germans (who made up the entire population) following World War II. So I sort of don't see the point. Maybe the family homes of my great grandparents are still standing however.

I'm pretty certain I have some third cousins and the like who live in Germany today. But there's really no purpose in meeting them.
You might be surprised. We walked into the small hotel in the town and the woman behind the desk looked so much like one of my sisters they could have been twins. I took a photo of her and sent it to all my sisters without comment and they were astounded. We all got together via Skype and talked. It was great.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:

My great-grandfather's hometown is now in Poland.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
well it is very strange that every other region is defined strictly along state boundaries (even the very large western states), but PA and NY they decide to cut down the middle in order to keep drawing the line south.

There is no way that NoVa or the Virginia coast is Northeast. Could be called Mid-atlantic, but they for some reason went out of their way to include it with the Northeast.
Quote:
They put a piece of Idaho in with the west coast. Also, oddly, they have Utah, Arizona and Nevada in with the west coast.
Just noticed that a big chunk of NE Minnesota is broken off from the rest of the state as well.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:44 AM

115 posts, read 100,203 times
Quote:
I think another element is there really isn't such a thing as "Northeastern" or "Midwestern" culture. There's just a generic Northern culture which really tends to vary as much (actually more) on a north to south basis than an east to west basis. Thus both the Northeast and Midwest only make sense as geographical identifiers, not as culture families, as the South does.

I don't know if I agree. Pittsburgh is basically caught in a cross-cultural identity struggle.
It cant figure out if it's Northeast, Midwest, or Southern/Appalachian. Personally I love that part about it, and I think thats what gives it much of its charm and character. There certainly is a mid-western culture though. Whether you can perceive it is another thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh