Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:55 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times

Advertisements

It's painfully obvious which posters walk, and which don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:18 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I rather die waiting than at the hands of a inconsiderate driver.
I wouldn't even be able to get to my office if I waited for every car to stop before starting out.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I'm sure drivers say the same thing when pedestrians and cyclists run out in front of them instead of crossing properly. If/when everyone follows the rules there won't be any issues.
Maybe you should grab a bunch of kids from your nearest cul-de-sac and go on a field trip to the city so they can see how it's done. Then you can be happy having done your part, and you won't have to worry about them darting in front of your wagon anymore!

Old 04-28-2016, 02:36 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Maybe you should grab a bunch of kids from your nearest cul-de-sac and go on a field trip to the city so they can see how it's done. Then you can be happy having done your part, and you won't have to worry about them darting in front of your wagon anymore!
Crossing the street is learned in school on usually one of the first days. Either many need a refresher course or someone told them that their time is more valuable than a drivers time rather than being equal. If one can't properly and safely cross the street as adults, there's probably no teaching them.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's painfully obvious which posters walk, and which don't.
I walk around the neighborhood all the time. Even walk some of da 'burgh depending where I park and what I'm doing there. I never assume a driver is going to stop. I don't run across traffic. I look left, then right, then left again just as you do walking, cycling or driving.

Who deemed pedestrians and cyclists time more valuable than motorists time?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:34 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Not a half bad idea, get the kids from simulated community into a real one, learn some street smarts etc.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Not a half bad idea, get the kids from simulated community into a real one, learn some street smarts etc.
How is it that if street smarts are so prevalent, there's so much complaining about not being able to safely cross the road?

One thing that would help is if people would look before they cross rather than watching their phone.

Last edited by erieguy; 04-28-2016 at 03:53 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 03:54 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
One thing that would help is if people would look before they cross rather than watching their phone.
That goes for all facets of life. I'm relatively new to the smartphone craze, having only purchased my iPhone 6 in late-2014 once I realized I needed it for work. Prior to that I remember making a snarky remark on here about smartphones and how they are ruining people's social skills, coping skills, and life overall. Flash-forward to early-2016, and I'm just as addicted as everyone else. Have to wait for a table at a restaurant? Now instead of gawking at things or conversing my face goes down to the screen. Having an awkward conversation I don't want to be a part of anymore? There's the phone! Every time it buzzes in my pocket it's screaming "LOOK AT ME!!!"

I hate, hate, HATE having an iPhone now!

Old 04-28-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
That goes for all facets of life. I'm relatively new to the smartphone craze, having only purchased my iPhone 6 in late-2014 once I realized I needed it for work. Prior to that I remember making a snarky remark on here about smartphones and how they are ruining people's social skills, coping skills, and life overall. Flash-forward to early-2016, and I'm just as addicted as everyone else. Have to wait for a table at a restaurant? Now instead of gawking at things or conversing my face goes down to the screen. Having an awkward conversation I don't want to be a part of anymore? There's the phone! Every time it buzzes in my pocket it's screaming "LOOK AT ME!!!"

I hate, hate, HATE having an iPhone now!
Interesting how opinions change when one actually experiences what they criticize.

If you hate it so much don't use it for anything but work. Simple fix.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:11 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Wait til they take the signals out of the Stanwix/ Liberty/Forbes/Penn intersections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh