Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:22 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You took off the link because it doesn't show what you think it said but we should believe what you can't link to because reasons?
Those are waivers, not the complete financial aid package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 07:25 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Those are waivers, not the complete financial aid package.
You're still at, "This one guy you don't know told me something and you can trust me."

Old 05-09-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
You're still at, "This one guy you don't know told me something and you can trust me."
TASFA (Texas Application for State Financial Aid) : Financial Aid and Scholarships : Texas State University

There is more to financial aid then just waivers.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 AM

That's saying that foreign students may be entitled to the same financial aid as Texas residents. Which, unless I've missed something, is not "free" by any means.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
That's saying that foreign students may be entitled to the same financial aid as Texas residents. Which, unless I've missed something, is not "free" by any means.
Most foreign students come from dirt poor families. That is why they get "qualify for" free tuition.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Most foreign students come from dirt poor families. That is why they get "qualify for" free tuition.
Unless Texas does something very different from the other states, students from poor families get loans, not free tuition.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:59 AM

697 posts, read 778,267 times
Quote:
Where did you get this info? I used to work in higher ed. Are there some international students who come from "dirt poor" families? Sure. But many come from affluent families, namely those in China, India and Saudi Arabia, which also happen to be top feeder countries for international students.

Edited to add: Since this thread is about a development org, and not international students, wanted to mention that I'm sorry to see that ARTEZ is closing and I hope the riverfront development continues

Old 05-10-2016, 03:12 PM

252 posts, read 348,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
CMU is already ~50% international students. To keep themselves viable at current levels I foresee that rising to ~70% in a decade.
Actually, CMU's undergraduate population was 19% international students in 2013, 21% in 2014, and 22% in 2015. If you include undergrads and grads together, it's 43% international as of 2015.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:17 PM

252 posts, read 348,237 times
The % of international students has been rising linearly for about a decade and I don't expect it to explode any time soon.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:03 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
Actually, CMU's undergraduate population was 19% international students in 2013, 21% in 2014, and 22% in 2015. If you include undergrads and grads together, it's 43% international as of 2015.
Yes. I meant that the undergraduate/graduate enrollment combined is roughly 50% international. 43% (and rising) isn't far off. I'm thrilled Pittsburgh can court such brilliant minds from around the world, but I'm not so thrilled that we don't retain very many of them at all. I'm going to be attending the wedding of a recent CMU graduate in my hometown, as he's marrying the sister of my best childhood friend. He's a native of the SF Bay Area and moved back for a great job with Apple after graduating a couple of years ago. If "cutting costs" is all the rage in corporate America these days, then why not bring more of the entry-level tech opportunities to Pittsburgh, where CMU can funnel their grads into their ranks each year while paying them less than what they'd pay newly-minted grads in Cupertino or San Jose? It's obviously going to be a skill mismatch for UBER, Apple, Google, etc. to expect there to be tons of highly-skilled veteran software/tech types here when the industry is so new here.

As I referenced even if CMU and Pitt are prestigious enough to more easily weather a downturn in the number of applicants in the coming years associated with the decline in college-aged individuals I don't know how Chatham, Carlow, Point Park, etc. will all also be able to maintain current staffing levels without making cuts, as I don't foresee them being able to meaningfully increase international recruitment enough to offset the loss in domestic students. It's already begun with EDMC laying off so many people in recent months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh