Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:56 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I have frequented the South Side since the early 1990's. Been to bars and restaurants. Basically every neighborhood has a drug store or a grocery store. Stuff I need these days is a pair of shorts for my kids or an gift for my wife.

I realize that the South Side Works is technically part of the South Side but it really isn't connected to heard of the Southside.
i can understand how one's personal neighborhood desires vary quite a bit & some people prefer closeby big box stores or whatever, but the bolded part I don't understand. It takes like 20 mins to walk the entire length of Carson St through the neighborhood & you don't have to deviate from a straight walk at all through a continuous line of commercial establishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 12:04 PM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
Its a bizzare claim to me that the old mill site in an old mill neighborhood is being considered not technically part of the neighborhood.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:58 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
I have lived in and love southside, but its definitely still going through growing pains. East of 17th street, restaurants and bars are rotating in and out pretty frequently. It needs some more commercial stability to really take off. Love Doublewide and Bartram's and can't beat Dish Osteria for date nights along with pre or post drinks at Acacia. Good stuff is happening, but it could easily revert back if Pittsburgh went in to a recession. Not nearly as stable as Shadyside or Squirrel Hill, but that's what you get with rapid growth areas. One day I hope to be back, atleast if I can afford it, lol.

I don't believe there is a truly overrated part of Pittsburgh. The city is truly a diamond in the rough when it comes to affordability still and so many areas have great views and cozy niches. I hope only good things for all areas and continuing success and appreciation for all the real estate. Coming from flat, hot, uniform Houston, Pittsburgh is a breath of fresh air.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:25 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,696 times
Man, Shiloh St is one of my favorite business districts in the city. Floored by the people hating on it or claiming there is "nothing but the view" to Mt. Washington.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Man, Shiloh St is one of my favorite business districts in the city. Floored by the people hating on it or claiming there is "nothing but the view" to Mt. Washington.
I don't think Shiloh is terrible. However, it's small, and not particularly walkable to the majority of the neighborhood. Worse still (at least from the perspective of someone looking to buy a home) virtually all of the houses in the streets around Shiloh seem to be rentals, which makes it pretty difficult to land in the walkable part of Mount Washington.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:48 PM

595 posts, read 600,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't think Shiloh is terrible. However, it's small, and not particularly walkable to the majority of the neighborhood. Worse still (at least from the perspective of someone looking to buy a home) virtually all of the houses in the streets around Shiloh seem to be rentals, which makes it pretty difficult to land in the walkable part of Mount Washington.
I live 2 blocks from Shiloh (off Kearsarge), rented and ended up buying the house I was renting. I know a lot of big rental companies up there are willing to flip their houses to a prospective buyer. Bought my house in 2007 for $35K, put about $30K into it, refinanced last year (the appraisal came back at $138K).

Once you get west of Maple Terrace there are quite a few homes for sale. I absolutely love the part of Mt. Washington west of Shiloh street headed towards Bigham. The large majority of that area is pretty walkable with a wide variety of housing stock (some great, some terrible, and everything in between). The terrain for the most part is pretty manageable in that section and crime is almost non-existent.

Sure, the housing stock in Mt. Washington isn't cute rowhouses that are fully rehabbed in a flat trendy area. But Mt. Washington is one of the best examples of "Baby Bear's Bed" that you'll find.
  • Central to all points north, south, east, and west
  • Over the tunnels instead of through them
  • Not overpriced
  • Walkable and successful business district (though small)
  • Most amenities
  • Decent elementary school
  • Ability to have a backyard
  • Tons of parks
  • Low crime (depending on the section - it is a big neighborhood)
  • Close to Downtown & the South Side
  • Access to the T

It's remarkable in how unremarkable it is. It's quiet without being boring. It's nice without being too expensive. But it's super close and convenient to everything. It's Baby Bear's Bed.

...and that's not even factoring in the view.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:09 AM

325 posts, read 323,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My own thoughts:

Mount Lebanon: If you're picking Mount Lebanon for the schools, that's one thing. But I don't understand the repeated claims that Mount Lebanon is walkable. Uptown Mount Lebanon is, and the area within a 10-15 minute walk around it, which comprises at most a third of the borough. People from Mount Lebanon will talk about how the borough has "several other wakable districts" but besides a block on Beverly Road they're all either strip malls or half-dead.

Duquense Heights: Tends to be more expensive than Mount Washington, but the housing stock is worse overall, and there's no business district. I don't get the appeal.

South Oakland: Really far south, like below Boulevard of the Allies. I know it's not rated highly in general, but the area still has a fair amount of Pitt student renters, and I don't get why. It's an inconveniently long walk to Pitt's campus, and there's no local business district.

South Side Slopes: Sure, the views are great. But it's too long of a walk to South Side Flats, and the housing stock is among the worst in the city. Worse, in the winter time both the public stairwells and side streets are generally ice bound, making it hazardous to even venture out of your home. I can think of a half dozen better places to buy a home with a view.

Please name me six places with a city view not including mt. wash or north side

Old 05-14-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Don't see the fuss about Lawrenceville? Tell us about it. Think East Liberty is a festering stinkhole? This is your post.

I personally don't get the fuss about Mt Washington. A handful of gorgeous homes with nice views, but that's it. The business district is tiny, and the majority of the neighborhood is kinda run down and filled with narrow, wind-ey roads.
IDK y the hate for Mt. Washington. It is technically the closest "neighborhood" to the city. Is not dangerous at all unless you live near Allentown. Has a san Francisco feel to it.. Learn your areas...

Old 05-14-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
In the city, Mt. Washington. The view is the only thing about the neighborhood that's not mediocre.

In the suburbs, Mt. Lebanon. Even the smaller, more spartan houses are expensive, and the traffic blows.
How about sweetbriar, Bailey, Olympia park area and tons of new construction popping up. I am from Penn hills and these East End fools pump up there neighborhoods and they have no VIEWS!. I do not get how the east end can command big bucks with no vistas...

Old 05-14-2016, 10:24 AM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
How about sweetbriar, Bailey, Olympia park area and tons of new construction popping up. I am from Penn hills and these East End fools pump up there neighborhoods and they have no VIEWS!. I do not get how the east end can command big bucks with no vistas...
Are you being for real right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh