Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 AM

598 posts, read 748,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSantoRules View Post
You're telling me that they can start building a $43.2 million apartment complex in Castle Shannon of all places and can't get anyone interested in this site? Come on now.
Hill District's CDC may not be as investor friendly as Castle Shannon. This may be one of the reasons it's hard to find an interested and motivated party push this project forward.

Penguins, Hill District clash over appeal in Civic Arena site development | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 09:19 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
No one forced the Steelers to build affordable housing on the North Shore, and they've still slow-walked development as much as possible in order to prolong the existence of surface parking.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:23 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No one forced the Steelers to build affordable housing on the North Shore, and they've still slow-walked development as much as possible in order to prolong the existence of surface parking.
Has nothing to do with what the Stillers did. Pens didn't cause the initial delays.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:24 AM

271 posts, read 332,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Has nothing to do with what the Stillers did. Pens didn't cause the initial delays.
You're right -- the Pens have only held the development rights at this site since 2007 (nearly a decade now). How could they have anticipated that the Hill District -- five decades after having more than 8,000 of its residents displaced to build Civic Arena -- might not rubber stamp whatever development proposal the team put forth?

Old 05-18-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
You're right -- the Pens have only held the development rights at this site since 2007 (nearly a decade now). How could they have anticipated that the Hill District -- five decades after having more than 8,000 of its residents displaced to build Civic Arena -- might not rubber stamp whatever development proposal the team put forth?
Exactly. Mostly only people that have issue with it are non-sports/Pens fans.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Exactly. Mostly only people that have issue with it are non-sports/Pens fans.
It appears you overlooked the sarcasm in my post -- to give the Pens a free pass on the delays is to deliberately ignore the facts.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:39 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,315 times
A lot of people I work with park at the former Civic Arena site. Just curious, where do the proceeds for daily, non-event parking ($6 per vehicle) go? If a large portion of those proceeds (beyond lot maintenance and attendant salary) aren't earmarked for the Hill and development projects, that seems a bit ... uh... sketchy.

I'll admit, though, that I'm completely ignorant about ownership and proprietorship of the lots in question (and the "business" of parking in general), and what knowledge I have is complete hearsay.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
It appears you overlooked the sarcasm in my post -- to give the Pens a free pass on the delays is to deliberately ignore the facts.
Yep. Sure did miss it. Impossible not to as there were initial plans and plans after that were kyboshed. Playing those guys cost time and $$$. If the city lets that nonsense go on/continue, I'd do the same thing as the Pens.

And now it's okay to build on contaminated land? Great stuff for sure.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
A lot of people I work with park at the former Civic Arena site. Just curious, where do the proceeds for daily, non-event parking ($6 per vehicle) go? If a large portion of those proceeds (beyond lot maintenance and attendant salary) aren't earmarked for the Hill and development projects, that seems a bit ... uh... sketchy.

I'll admit, though, that I'm completely ignorant about ownership and proprietorship of the lots in question (and the "business" of parking in general), and what knowledge I have is complete hearsay.
The MOU/Term Sheet on the SEA's website says that the revenue goes to the Penguins:

http://www.pgh-sea.com/images/MOUCom...mieuxGroup.pdf

Quote:

(b) Upon the opening of the new arena, the SEA will impose a new surcharge on parking. The first $400,000/year of revenue generated from the new parking surcharge will be deposited annually into a capital reserve fund established to maintain and improve the new arena. The balance of the proceeds from the new parking surcharge in excess of $400,000/year shall go to the Penguins.

(c) Upon the opening of the new arena, the SEA, at its expense, shall promptly demolish Mellon Arena and pave, stripe and in all respects prepare the land under Mellon Arena for use as a parking lot. This use shall continue until the land under the Mellon Arena is developed. Upon completion of this work, the Penguins shall pay an additional $200,000/year over the life of the lease.

4. Except for the new parking surcharge, all revenue generated from existing surcharges
shall go to the Penguins and no new surcharges of any kind shall be imposed without the approval of the Penguins.

5. Prior to redevelopment, the Penguins shall manage, operate, maintain and retain all
revenues from all current and future parking lots on the current Mellon arena site.

6. The SEA will provide a 500 space surface lot adjacent to the new arena; the Penguins
will manage, operate, maintain and retain all revenues from said lot. Alternatively, the Penguins may elect for the SEA to construct a 500 space structured parking garage adjacent and connected to the new arena in exchange for the Penguins paying an additional $500,000 per year throughout the term of the new arena lease. The parties will agree on a deadline for the Penguins to make such election. If the Penguins inform the SEA of their election to build the garage by May 1, 2007, the SEA will be obligated to complete the garage in time for it to open in conjunction with the opening of the new arena. The Penguins will manage, operate, maintain and retain all revenues from the garage.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:15 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,315 times
Many thanks for the clarification. That seems like even more of a raw deal for the Hill and provides even less impetus for the Pens to move forward.

Not a fan. Of the deal. Still 100-percent pulling for the Pens to take back home ice tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh