Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 06:54 AM

598 posts, read 747,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
If this is the best a national search could have came up with, what a joke.
Well, the quality of the school district naturally limits the pool of potential top talent candidates who would be willing to risk their career. Hence, they have to choose from what's left as demonstrated by the results of the search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 06:55 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times
Quote:
And the race card is being pulled out over this whole plagiarism thing.......

Pittsburgh school board to meet to discuss superintendent | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Can't believe it took this long, actually.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:57 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
Well, the quality of the school district naturally limits the pool of potential top talent candidates who would be willing to risk their career. Hence, they have to choose from what's left as demonstrated by the results of the search.
I'm not sure that's really the case. Big urban school districts offer big challenges, but also a lot more political power and resources on hand than you would get in a small suburban district. All things considered, I would think it's more likely that you'd get someone interested in moving across the country to manage PPS versus say North Hills SD.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:01 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It looks like the BOE is starting to backtrack. I wouldn't be surprised if his job is rescinded. Although at this point they might have to pay him damages since he already resigned from his existing job.
I'm not sure why they didn't seem to have a problem with his inflated numbers yet seem to have a problem with this (I consider both to be bad but don't really see how this new piece is actually worse than the fake results from his job). Maybe city residents are calling their local board member to show their displeasure with this hire now as well.

Quote:
I'm not sure that's really the case. Big urban school districts offer big challenges, but also a lot more political power and resources on hand than you would get in a small suburban district. All things considered, I would think it's more likely that you'd get someone interested in moving across the country to manage PPS versus say North Hills SD.
Agreed. You're not going to get the notoriety you want just staying a small suburban districts for you're entire career IMO.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:02 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
“I am extremely angry and yet not surprised” at the scrutiny Mr. Hamlet has received, said the Rev. De Neice Welch, pastor at the Bidwell Street United Presbyterian Church and chair of the spiritual leaders caucus at the Pittsburgh Interfaith Impact Network. “The racial overtones are quite evident. This is how this city and its officials have always behaved.”

Rev. Welch pointed to the tenure of former superintendent John Thompson, whose stormy relationship with the board led local foundations to suspend their financial support of district programs. Mr. Thompson left after the board chose not to renew his contract in 2004. His successor, Mark Roosevelt, was a white former state representative who had never been a teacher or a school administrator.

“This time, our voices will not be silenced by some backroom shuffling and completely biased newspaper accounts,” Rev. Welch said.

Rev Welch sounds like an idiot.
Along with people on the other side of the extreme, these people are why we can't all get along and have nice things as well.....

Old 06-10-2016, 07:07 AM

598 posts, read 747,955 times
Quote:
It is true that they offer big challenges, and yes they present interesting opportunities, but they also come with significant risks. A 200k salary with significant career risks and relocation to Pittsburgh would require finding a very committed top talent to fill the position.

There is a lot less risk and stress being a superintendent in NA making almost the same 190K, and then moving on to a high level admin position at a university.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:07 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,894 times
I'm sure the district's legal team has been meeting for days to try to find the best way out of this mess. The Board has to realize this is a brewing "sh^t storm" about to rage out of control. At this point, I would be trying to pinpoint the person responsible for hiring the consulting company that performed the "search" in the first place. After that, I'd "follow the money" (so to speak).

Old 06-10-2016, 07:09 AM

994 posts, read 900,861 times
Quote:
Along with people on the other side of the extreme, these people are why we can't all get along and have nice things as well.....
Stupid is stupid and should be called out, no matter what side of the political spectrum people fall into.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:10 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
Rev. Welch pointed to the tenure of former superintendent John Thompson, whose stormy relationship with the board led local foundations to suspend their financial support of district programs. Mr. Thompson left after the board chose not to renew his contract in 2004. His successor, Mark Roosevelt, was a white former state representative who had never been a teacher or a school administrator.
So the school board has a history of appointing grossly unqualified superintendents? From a race-based perspective, I certainly wouldn't choose this hill to die on, but I can see the frustration. It's quite similar to the reaction of New York's Chinese American community when Peter Liang was convicted of killing an unarmed black man. Incompetence is incompetence. We can fight against privilege without asking for equal opportunity to suck at our jobs.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:12 AM

994 posts, read 900,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
They probably could have literally hired any other candidate and that person would have been better. They wanted this guy because he is huge and played in the NFL, and we are in a football town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh