Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:50 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
He's not saying that he doesn't believe metros have to end at state lines, he's saying that the portions of WV and Ohio included in the MSA are too far away from the city and not truly connected. Counties can be included in the MSA if they have enough people who commute into one of the core counties, meaning a county that has zero people who commute into Allegheny county, let alone the city itself, could still be included in the MSA.
It still doesn't make sense and what he said is inaccurate anyway since the areas he's talking about are only like 30 miles away. The far reaches of Westmoreland County are like 5 minutes from Johnstown and 60 miles away I seriously doubt there's many people out that way in a rural area going to Pittsburgh on normal basis for work or something.

if you wanted to nitpick it technically the "lump the whole county into the metro" that is used for Pittsburgh is pretty inaccurate in general. If you look at the Phoenix metro it makes much more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 10:55 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
He's not saying that he doesn't believe metros have to end at state lines, he's saying that the portions of WV and Ohio included in the MSA are too far away from the city and not truly connected. Counties can be included in the MSA if they have enough people who commute into one of the core counties, meaning a county that has zero people who commute into Allegheny county, let alone the city itself, could still be included in the MSA.
Exactly and trying to compare and contrast the metro boundaries of Pittsburgh with those of Washington DC or New York seems rather silly. Of course people from parts of WV and OH visit Pittsburgh and possibly even commute to Pittsburgh for work, but that doesn't mean that those areas are connected with Pittsburgh or even Allegheny county.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Exactly and trying to compare and contrast the metro boundaries of Pittsburgh with those of Washington DC or New York seems rather silly. Of course people from parts of WV and OH visit Pittsburgh and possibly even commute to Pittsburgh for work, but that doesn't mean that those areas are connected with Pittsburgh or even Allegheny county.
Yes they are it's like that all over the country anything within an hour is considered connected. It has nothing to do with state lines. It's distance partially forming a radius around the core of the city. I am 50 miles away and get TV stations and news from Pittsburgh and they sell Pittsburgh newspapers in my city. That's a form of connection.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Metros have nothing to do with states they are generally based on distance and in most of the US anything within an hour radius is considered the city metro. There are more people in Pittsburgh from WV and Ohio doing business and using services and so on than there are from the far reaches of Armstrong County. D.C.'s metro extends clear into the eastern panhandle of WV. According to your logic Newark wouldn't be a part of the NYC metro since it's a different state.
Metro areas are based on commuting patterns.
Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas Main - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

Old 01-01-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yeah I've read all that before...there is no way Pittsburgh's is accurate they are fudging it for some reason this has been discussed so many times on here. Like I said the far reaches of Westmoreland County are out in B.F.E. and practically in Johnstown.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Yes they are it's like that all over the country anything within an hour is considered connected. It has nothing to do with state lines. It's distance partially forming a radius around the core of the city. I am 50 miles away and get TV stations and news from Pittsburgh and they sell Pittsburgh newspapers in my city. That's a form of connection.
Sorry but I believe metros are more than just driving distance and media markets. If you truly believe that places like Wheeling and Pittsburgh are highly connected I think we just have to agree to disagree.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Yeah I've read all that before...there is no way Pittsburgh's is accurate this has been discussed so many times on here. Like I said the far reaches of Westmoreland County are out in B.F.E. and practically in Johnstown.
The CB seems to have gone from using parts of counties to just using the whole county, probably for simplification purposes. Part of my county in Colorado is in Rocky Mountain National Park, yet the whole count is included in the MSA.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Sorry but I believe metros are more than just driving distance and media markets. If you truly believe that places like Wheeling and Pittsburgh are highly connected I think we just have to agree to disagree.
They are extremely connected are you serious? Where are you from? Erie? How would you even know Erie is more connected with Cleveland or Buffalo. My area always has been connected going back to the industrial and pre-Civil War era. About half my friends work in Pittsburgh or the edges of Washington County before entering Allegheny and a lot of people use Pittsburgh for services including the airport, and hospitals. I'm honestly confused at what you would consider connected in the context of a metro. You must have a really odd view of the country and how metros work.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 01-01-2017 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-01-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The CB seems to have gone from using parts of counties to just using the whole county, probably for simplification purposes. Part of my county in Colorado is in Rocky Mountain National Park, yet the whole count is included in the MSA.
This is a great point and of course some of the farther portions of Westmoreland county are probably pushing the edge of the metro boundaries, but for simplification it is easier to just include the whole county.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
They are extremely connected are you serious? Where are you from? Erie? How would you even know Erie is more connected with Cleveland or Buffalo. My area always has been connected going back to the industrial and pre-Civil War era. About half my friends work in Pittsburgh or the edges of Washington County before entering Allegheny and a lot of people use Pittsburgh for services including the airport, and hospitals. I'm honestly confused at what you would consider connected in the context of a metro. You must have a really odd view of the country and how metros work.
I am originally from Pittsburgh and I currently live in Erie and visit Pittsburgh quite often as my family still lives there. I have also lived in St. Paul, Cleveland, and Philly so I am pretty familiar with how metros work and are defined. I think you are having trouble distinguishing between nearby cities/areas and parts of a metro. Of course people in Wheeling visit Pittsburgh and some even commute to Pittsburgh for work, but that does not mean Wheeling is part of the Pittsburgh metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh