Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 07:35 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times

Advertisements

If they put some condos down there I just might be tempted. Easy access to the highways, boat ride to Bucco games, my favorite "joint", The Gandy Dancer within crawling distance, along the bike trails, just wish they had kept Hooters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 08:20 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...on-square.html

Old 03-19-2017, 02:59 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,957 times
I'm really getting sick of the 6 story apartment projects everywhere. This is on prime land directly opposite downtown, you would think they'd go at least 10-12 stories and keep the rest of the land for a potential future project. The higher floors would have incredible views as well. More middling crap is not what's needed there.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:38 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,366 times
I'd like taller as well, but honestly this is Pittsburgh, not Chicago or New York or even Philly. The city has less than 400,000 ppl. we don't need 10+ Story density outside of the CBD

Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 AM

140 posts, read 166,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I'm really getting sick of the 6 story apartment projects everywhere. This is on prime land directly opposite downtown, you would think they'd go at least 10-12 stories and keep the rest of the land for a potential future project. The higher floors would have incredible views as well. More middling crap is not what's needed there.
It sounds like everyone is trying to avoid getting their buildings classified as "highrise".. There are probably some very heavy cost implications due to the stricter code requirements for a highrise.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMan_152 View Post
It sounds like everyone is trying to avoid getting their buildings classified as "highrise".. There are probably some very heavy cost implications due to the stricter code requirements for a highrise.
From what I understand, the costs rise dramatically once you go much above six stories, because you have to switch away from partial "stick" construction to building the structure entirely out of steel. And unfortunately, Pittsburgh rents, although they have climbed, are nowhere near high enough yet (on the residential or commercial front) to warrant steel-framed highrises.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:12 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Updates to the Freight House on the way: 'Significant' update may be in store for Station Square's Freight House Shops | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
“We want to maintain the integrity of the Freight House Shops, probably reconfigure it, and maintain the aesthetic value of it,” he said.

“We’re going to do some structural improvements and probably make it more open.”

The company will work with current tenants as part of the redevelopment, he said. Among other users, it is considering chef-driven restaurants and locally sourced food venues as possible new tenants.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:01 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,726 times
While I hope this redevelopment of apartments and new restaurants/retail proves to be successful, I can't help but think of the South Side Works, and how it still has massive retail vacancies despite having apartments and office buildings.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:43 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
While I hope this redevelopment of apartments and new restaurants/retail proves to be successful, I can't help but think of the South Side Works, and how it still has massive retail vacancies despite having apartments and office buildings.
Why is that? All that parking, a pleasant walking experience for customers...Could it be there is not the critical mass of potential customers? It's possible the Waterfront had won out potential tenants.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:49 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Why is that? All that parking, a pleasant walking experience for customers...Could it be there is not the critical mass of potential customers? It's possible the Waterfront had won out potential tenants.
I'm inclined to believe that the area was built to be a dense town center, and simply does not have the (walkable diatance) population density to warrant that much shopping. However, with all the new residential development (finally) this could change quickly.

I feel like these developments push the Commerce side first because its more $$$ early, but they eventually fail because they depend on having residential population close to keep them busy and open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh