Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 11:03 PM

395 posts, read 488,556 times

Advertisements

I see all these people posting on the c3 FB page saying that the place is going to close in the immediate future and I don't think it will. I think it has at least an other few more years if not an other decade or two. Why? Because if you look at other malls on the same level of decline as C3 they have like 2 anchoring stores like Macy's and Penney's keeping them alive and all of the rest of the stores are non clothing stores, whereas c3 has some other places that sell clothing besides Penney's, like Victoria's Secret, Jimmy Jazz, Hot Topic and those other malls don't. I think in the case of C3 even if Penney's closes those other clothing stores could keep the mall kicking for at least a little longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 04:58 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
I see all these people posting on the c3 FB page saying that the place is going to close in the immediate future and I don't think it will. I think it has at least an other few more years if not an other decade or two. Why? Because if you look at other malls on the same level of decline as C3 they have like 2 anchoring stores like Macy's and Penney's keeping them alive and all of the rest of the stores are non clothing stores, whereas c3 has some other places that sell clothing besides Penney's, like Victoria's Secret, Jimmy Jazz, Hot Topic and those other malls don't. I think in the case of C3 even if Penney's closes those other clothing stores could keep the mall kicking for at least a little longer.
The other stores don't take up the square footage of Penny's.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:04 AM

96 posts, read 73,617 times
Abercrombie, Gap forecasts signal tough holiday quarter for retailers | Reuters

I just saw that article this morning. It suggests that things aren't looking rosy for some of the big name stores, one can posit that they are not the only two seeing slumping sales.

The Amazon effect will continue to slowly kill malls like Century III that already suffer from a bad reputation and is in need of a renovation. Even the new mall at Pittsburgh Mills was never able to find success in the current environment.

Some malls will continue to survive, like Ross Park and South Hills Village. I feel like Century III has been on its last leg for a while now. It will be interesting to see what happens though.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:06 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forging Steel View Post

I just saw that article this morning. It suggests that things aren't looking rosy for some of the big name stores, one can posit that they are not the only two seeing slumping sales.

The Amazon effect will continue to slowly kill malls like Century III that already suffer from a bad reputation and is in need of a renovation. Even the new mall at Pittsburgh Mills was never able to find success in the current environment.

Some malls will continue to survive, like Ross Park and South Hills Village. I feel like Century III has been on its last leg for a while now. It will be interesting to see what happens though.
I don't disagree per se but using Abercrombie & the gap as any kind of bellwether is a bit too biased as those brands have been in decline for years.

Last edited by UKyank; 11-20-2016 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Spl

Old 11-20-2016, 08:29 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't disagree per se but using Abercrombie & the gap as any kind of bellwether is a bit too biased as those brands have been in decline for years.
fo realz? time to upgrade wardrobe

Old 11-20-2016, 11:17 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
There are a bunch of big box retail stores in the area around C3 mall. If only Kohl's, Burlington, and Gabe's, among others, could move into the mall, it would probably have a comeback. I think the problem is these retailers don't want to be chained to a sinking ship, and dying indoor malls are a thing nationwide.

This got me thinking. If malls are dying, could local business districts stage a comeback? Couldn't some of these retailers just as easily move to downtown Greensburg or downtown McKeesport or downtown Braddock, as in the old days? Some of the old department stores are still sitting vacant in these towns.

Rather than speculating on how to fix an empty mall, wouldn't it be better to focus on revitalizing local business districts (you know, the places that the malls killed)?

Old 11-20-2016, 12:17 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forging Steel View Post

This is often stated, but I don't know anyone who's purchased a single article of clothing from Amazon. If you're using Amazon as shorthand for online shopping, then maybe. I buy a lot of clothes online, but I wouldn't if I lived in a city with better retail options.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:27 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is often stated, but I don't know anyone who's purchased a single article of clothing from Amazon. If you're using Amazon as shorthand for online shopping, then maybe. I buy a lot of clothes online, but I wouldn't if I lived in a city with better retail options.
What retail options does this area lack? Ross Park Mall has a wide array of upscale clothiers. Downtown has upscale apparel retailers also.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:04 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What retail options does this area lack? Ross Park Mall has a wide array of upscale clothiers. Downtown has upscale apparel retailers also.
Moda is pretty much the only option for fashion-forward casual wear. Most of Downtown's high-end is business/formal oriented. Ross Park's high end stuff is really cheesy BRANDZ like Burberry or Louis Vuitton. You aren't going to find items from young interesting designers in Pittsburgh.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:34 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Moda is pretty much the only option for fashion-forward casual wear. Most of Downtown's high-end is business/formal oriented. Ross Park's high end stuff is really cheesy BRANDZ like Burberry or Louis Vuitton. You aren't going to find items from young interesting designers in Pittsburgh.
How about Vestis or Kinsman in Lawrenceville? I agree with the premise that there is little selection, though. That said, these places don't appeal to the average Pittsburgher, and many who can afford the more upscale options can also afford to shop when traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh