Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:14 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times

Advertisements

What industry do you work in? Downtown is a huge employment center, but so is Oakland and the surrounding parts of the east end. Your goal to eliminate commutes may be better served by living in the Oakland/Shadyside area, where your kids can go to school in the neighborhood with no bus ride and you can also find jobs in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 02:25 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HariP View Post
No grocery store is very discouraging. In fact, a good grocery store can do a lot to attract families to downtown.
Oh, yes -- this has been discussed on here quite a bit. There is a small neighborhood market in Market Square, but it's more of a "boutique" than a proper grocery store. I do think downtown will have better shopping options within the next 10 or 15 years, but not in the more immediate future.

Is it clear that you will be working downtown? Ferraris raises a good point about Oakland, and there are also a lot of jobs in the suburbs, but perhaps you already have a specific employer in mind.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:30 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
I don't know if a lack of a grocery store downtown is a negitive. There is a horrible but usable giant eagle in the north side, but it is closer to downtown than most grocery stores are to us suburbanites. There are also alot of amenities that are just a short trolley ride away.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:47 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I don't know if a lack of a grocery store downtown is a negitive. There is a horrible but usable giant eagle in the north side, but it is closer to downtown than most grocery stores are to us suburbanites. There are also alot of amenities that are just a short trolley ride away.
Right -- honestly that Giant Eagle has been getting less horrible and more usable every year.

OP, there's a really nice little neighborhood along Avery, Lockhard, and Pressley Streets in the lower part of Deutschtown -- I would look very closely at those blocks, and keep an eye on it because stuff comes on the market but sells pretty quickly. There are historic homes of various sizes and also some condo/townhouse options that are newer construction all around Allegheny Center. This is a short walk or a quick bus ride to downtown, and much more lively and community-oriented than downtown proper. It also has one of the most racially diverse populations you'll find in Pittsburgh, with some outstanding local businesses that are owned and operated by African-American Pittsburgh families, which is not something you find everywhere. I'm not against downtown, as I said, but don't overlook the Northside in your search because it will give you lots of options while staying within very close range of where you want to be.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:20 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
We are moving back to the states after living overseas for almost 7 years. Have always lived in the NY area before that. Hoping to live and work in the downtown area and send our kid to a private middle school at WT or shady side. Living downtown with middle school age kids seems to be unusual but we are hoping downtown living is closest to city life that we like- more diversity, no mowing/plowing, no maintaining McMansions, more things to do - arts, culture, libraries, theatre, movies and biking.
Are we completely off about this? Are there families with middle school kids that live in downtown Pittsburgh?
Downtown Pittsburgh is not a residential neighborhood. It's a CBD with a few apartment buildings. I grew up in Manhattan, and I can't imagine raising kids in Downtown Pittsburgh. I agree with the other poster who suggested Mexican War Streets and the Central North Side. I'd also suggest Lawrenceville. Shadyside might also be a good choice, it's probably slightly suburban by European standards, but it has just about every amenity you might need, it's one of the more diverse neighborhoods in the city, and its 10 minutes from downtown by mass transit (BRT).

Old 01-08-2017, 06:48 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
If you want to give your kids a good taste of urban living with more conveniences (including museums) I would suggest moving closer to Oakland (Pittsburgh's "second downtown"). Either North Oakland or Shadyside and Squirrel Hill where buses are frequent to Oakland. It's the site of the main branch of the public library, Carnegie Museum of Natural History and Art, as well as amenities and culture associated with a university neighbourhood. Whole Foods and Giant Eagle Grocery stores are nearby.
I wish downtown Pittsburgh well in attracting more residences, but to be honest, it's rather dead in the evening. By the time they get to high school, I suspect your kids will be bored. The exception would be if they went to CAPA school downtown.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:58 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Coming from Ireland, and living in NY for many years, Downtown Pittsburgh is not very good for kids. It is dead at the weekends and evenings. It is not like any smaller city in Europe at all. Friends of ours live in Point Breeze and the kids go to CAPA. There is no grocery shop and really, you would be very disappointed with it.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:18 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
No grocery store is very discouraging. In fact, a good grocery store can do a lot to attract families to downtown.
I have a lot of friends who live overseas or have lived overseas. The European and American "downtowns" are very different.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:09 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Coming from Ireland, and living in NY for many years, Downtown Pittsburgh is not very good for kids. It is dead at the weekends and evenings. It is not like any smaller city in Europe at all. Friends of ours live in Point Breeze and the kids go to CAPA. There is no grocery shop and really, you would be very disappointed with it.
I'm not sure there isn't a gray area here - there IS a sizeable population of young adults there now. It's not families, but THOSE do exist in some number.

One could say the lower north side is an extension of downtown, and so not too unlike manhattan and european cities. Sure, there are few residents who live among the skyscrapers of commerce, and not many more living close to the cultural buildings (Benedum, etc.), but on the other side of the bridge are hundreds.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:36 AM

271 posts, read 332,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I'm not sure there isn't a gray area here - there IS a sizeable population of young adults there now. It's not families, but THOSE do exist in some number.

One could say the lower north side is an extension of downtown, and so not too unlike manhattan and european cities. Sure, there are few residents who live among the skyscrapers of commerce, and not many more living close to the cultural buildings (Benedum, etc.), but on the other side of the bridge are hundreds.
I lived/worked in both Manhattan and Downtown Pittsburgh. Not even remotely similar. Both nice in their own ways. If you are looking for Manhattan style living and move to downtown PGH you will be very disappointed. Right now the population in downtown PGH consists of empty nesters and young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh