Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,087 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My first post (been lurking for a while)... and I can use some help from the boards.

My wife, young son and I are moving back to Pittsburgh this fall. We've lived in Pittsburgh before from 1998-2004. We currently live in Columbus, OH. (And yes, I've looked at all the threads on Columbus vs. Pittsburgh and agree Columbus is pretty vanilla compared to Pittsburgh. Plus, never can seem to get the Steelers on tv here when one of those other Ohio teams are playing... won't even mention their names.)

Anyway, we're beginning to look at where to live in Pittsburgh so we can plan our upcoming September 2008 move and can use some help. When we last lived in Pittsburgh we first lived in Bridgeville and then moved to Greentree City, and liked it ok, but now that we're moving back, we want to try and be north of the city, to avoid the Fort Pitt tunnels.

My wife will be working downtown at Oxford Center and I'll be working in Aspinwall so two cars are pretty much a must for us. We're looking for someplace to rent (we'll only be in PGH 2-3 years) that will be equally easy (if there's such a thing in PGH driving) for both of us to get to work.

A few more variables... I guess the surburban sprawl of Columbus has grown on us, as I really got to liking two car garages and single family homes. So, I don't want to live in Squirrel Hill/Shadyside/Oakland, anyplace I have to park on the street or live in an apartment building.

I'm more well versed on the south side of Pittsburgh, so can anyone help with the north side? I've been looking at rentals on the net, and really can't see much single family homes or condos on the north side for rent. Anyone have any ideas or links for places to live that might fit the bill? I'm also interested in an area with decent preschools and elementary schools since our little guy will probably start school while we're in Pittsburgh.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help and look forward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 03:51 PM

176 posts, read 767,610 times
I can definetly say North Allegheny is one of the finest school districts in this area...I am from Mt. Lebo, so it takes alot to impress me when it comes to the educational system...

I have two close friends who teach and quite a few others who send their children to that district...My wife actually wants to take the kids from Mt. Lebo and move to the N.Hills because that school is so good...And she grew up in Lebo also...

Properties in that area vary greatly...you can probably grab a 2 br townhome in McCandless for $ 750.00 or a 3 Bd house $1,000.00

Wexford will be alittle more, but not by much....Good luck in your search

Old 03-05-2008, 06:35 PM

58 posts, read 247,475 times
Not sure if Wexford is too far up, but Christopher Wren might have what you are looking for.

A search for a house rental would be best served using craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh