Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 PM
Jn7 Jn7 started this thread

3 posts, read 2,768 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at houses that give us quick access to 79 & 279 - this has primarily led us to North Allegheny and Seneca Valley school districts, but we are also interested in a house in the Avonworth school district.

I know NA is ranked as a great school, but I do not care for the huge size of the district. How does Avonworth compare to these types of top tier schools? We are very interested in the house in Ohio Twp because it fits so many of our families needs for home/work life. I just would like to hear how the school district is before getting my hopes up about this house. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Avonworth is one of the smallest public school districts in Allegheny County. Student performance on past standardized tests is within the "middle tier" range, when compared to other schools in the region. Because of its limited enrollment size, middle school and high school students are housed/transported to a single school building, with most of the middle school and high school being on different levels of the building. Advanced placement and course offerings are not nearly as diverse, nor readily available, as the larger (and higher performing) nearby school districts, but the opportunities to participate in extracurricular activities abound in Avonworth. In years past, Avonworth has been mentioned as a possible candidate for merger with other nearby school districts, but this scenario has not been revisited in quite awhile, to my knowledge.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:24 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jn7 View Post
We have been looking at houses that give us quick access to 79 & 279 - this has primarily led us to North Allegheny and Seneca Valley school districts, but we are also interested in a house in the Avonworth school district.

I know NA is ranked as a great school, but I do not care for the huge size of the district. How does Avonworth compare to these types of top tier schools? We are very interested in the house in Ohio Twp because it fits so many of our families needs for home/work life. I just would like to hear how the school district is before getting my hopes up about this house. Thx.
I would check out north hills which is a little bigger than avonworth and better performing. there are new developments off of highland with easy access.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:30 AM

130 posts, read 122,605 times
If you don't care for a huge district, one of the trade offs would be a decreased amount of course options (which may or may not matter to you). Personally, I think Avonworth is an excellent school district. Because enrollment numbers are so small it will never get the same fanfare as the big time districts. It may be a touch below other small districts like South Fayette and Quaker Valley, which are great. I should mention that at this point you are really splitting hairs. Most of the suburban Allegheny County schools are above average, and since education is what you make of it you should find a district that you feel comfortable with. Not everyone wants to graduate with 700 other people, or needs 30 AP courses.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
Avonworth is a good school district and definitely worth considering. Smaller than NA or SV by a lot, but that can be a positive to a lot of people. The district has actually grown quite a bit in the past 15 years. I graduated from Avonworth with 88 people, today graduating classes are about double that.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Belt Kid View Post
If you don't care for a huge district, one of the trade offs would be a decreased amount of course options (which may or may not matter to you). Personally, I think Avonworth is an excellent school district. Because enrollment numbers are so small it will never get the same fanfare as the big time districts. It may be a touch below other small districts like South Fayette and Quaker Valley, which are great. I should mention that at this point you are really splitting hairs. Most of the suburban Allegheny County schools are above average, and since education is what you make of it you should find a district that you feel comfortable with. Not everyone wants to graduate with 700 other people, or needs 30 AP courses.
Yes, this is probably closest to how we feel; thanks for posting.

I appreciate the other comments too. It's nice to be moving to an area with many great options.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:12 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
One of the region's most influential education figures moved his kid from the Fox Chapel School District to Avonworth. The district is very good and getting even better.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:50 AM

994 posts, read 901,302 times
I recently moved away from the Pittsburgh area, but if we decided to stay then Ben Avon (Avonworth SD) is where we would live. Frankly, I don't care about the multitude of offerings that large districts like NA have. Avonworth is certainly good enough.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:07 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
I think Coach pretty much nailed it. Great opportunity to participate in sports and other extra curricular activities at the expense of some AP courses. The real question though is whether or not this difference matters when applying to colleges.

Thinking out loud, how many AP courses does Avonworth have compared with North Allegheny? And would this difference even impact your child (cause it probably wouldn't impact my kids)?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 AM

Paschoolperformace.org lists NA at 28 & Avonworth at 9 for AP classes.

For us, personally, I think our children can achieve and be successful with 9. But it is kinda WOW that somewhere can offer 28!

Honors (not AP) and duel enrollment classes are always options too.

This is probably not a new thought to this site, but parents who are seeking opportunities for their kids are probably going to do well at a variety of schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh