Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 01:34 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Lawrenceville has become for the North Hills what the South Side has been for the South Hills - a place that suburbanites go out to for a "night on the town." I presume this is the logic behind the NPL - that they know a lot of suburbanites are already on Butler Street on Friday/Saturday nights for dinner and/or to hit the other bars, so they might like an old familiar standby as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 02:01 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Lawrenceville has become for the North Hills what the South Side has been for the South Hills - a place that suburbanites go out to for a "night on the town." I presume this is the logic behind the NPL - that they know a lot of suburbanites are already on Butler Street on Friday/Saturday nights for dinner and/or to hit the other bars, so they might like an old familiar standby as well.
why would a suburbanite come into the city when they have the same restaurant in their own neighborhood? when you leave morningside to go to lawrenceville is that your "night on the town"?

i think the real reason is that different people in different areas like many of the same things. do you think you can pick out suburbanites and l'ville dwellers walking down the street?

Old 11-20-2017, 02:12 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
why would a suburbanite come into the city when they have the same restaurant in their own neighborhood? when you leave morningside to go to lawrenceville is that your "night on the town"?

i think the real reason is that different people in different areas like many of the same things. do you think you can pick out suburbanites and l'ville dwellers walking down the street?
Bingo.

Suburbanites will check it out to see how similar/different it is to the others but we’re certainly not making it a “night on the town”. It’s business is going to come from city dwellers.

Last edited by erieguy; 11-20-2017 at 02:26 PM..

Old 11-20-2017, 02:51 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Seriously, do you have any data at all to support that claim? If I don't go to the Primanti's or the NPL in the North Hills, why in hell would I travel to Lawrenceville? Scratching my head over that one.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:51 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post

I think you are missing the point of what he meant. North Hills people are not going to drive to Lawrenceville to go to NPL, but they will for Piccolo Forno and then maybe swing by NPL for a beer.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:54 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Seriously, do you have any data at all to support that claim? If I don't go to the Primanti's or the NPL in the North Hills, why in hell would I travel to Lawrenceville? Scratching my head over that one.
To stereotype....Lawrenceville bars used to be filled with a more hipster (for lack of a better word) crowd. Lately, its a bunch of Daves, you know him...he’s the financial planner from Ross, who drives an Altima and did CrossFit once.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I think you are missing the point of what he meant. North Hills people are not going to drive to Lawrenceville to go to NPL, but they will for Piccolo Forno and then maybe swing by NPL for a beer.
Not if they don’t go there to begin with or if they have one in their own back yard. They may stop in once to check it out but they’re not going to spend much time there. They’re going to go somewhere they don’t have in their own area. NPL business is going to come from the area/city.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:02 PM

716 posts, read 766,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don’t think the demographics of Lawrenceville are what you think & you’re basing your conclusion that the place will fail on the stereotype hipster version of the area which only makes up a small portion of the residents or visitors & if anything has actually been declining.
If hipster = a yuppie 20s-30s crowd in 2017 terms, which it seems to, I would strongly disagree with the assertion that it's declining. I've lived in Lawrenceville for quite a while and it amazes me how much the prevalence of that demo has been on the rise in this nrighborhood. Between houses selling for 300k+ and new rental developments like the foundry there are hipster/yuppies/tech bros everwhere. Idk whether npl will be successful but this demographic seems to have a ton of money to burn and I'm sure they'll try it out regardless of whether it has suburban locations. Will they come back? Who knows. I'll just comtimue to spend my beer/bar food money at Stinky's probably.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
To stereotype....Lawrenceville bars used to be filled with a more hipster (for lack of a better word) crowd. Lately, its a bunch of Daves, you know him...he’s the financial planner from Ross, who drives an Altima and did CrossFit once.
Not all NPL’s are the same. They will conform to the area and it’s clientele.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:13 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
The one in Robinson folded about 10 Years ago. It was too bland. Even Dave from Ross didn't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh