Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:00 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times

Advertisements

See here. It's pretty long, but worth the read. It's very attractive and ambitious. I particularly like on page 98 where they unveil the new zoning for Uptown - which will result in a new high-density "mixed-use" zone closer to downtown with no parking minimums.

Probably the most controversial part of their plan is the long-term vision for Boulevard of the Allies, transforming it from a highway in all but name back to a surface boulevard, with a sidewalk overlooking the riverfront.

These changes will result in greater traffic on Bouevard of the Allies, both because the sidewalk will require the elimination of one lane, along with changes to intersections to make them more pedestrian friendly resulting in lights and crosswalks. The attitude of the planners is basically that we should see if the BRT system lowers congestion on BoA first, and then make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 08:23 AM

271 posts, read 332,026 times
Here's the Post Gazette story on this:

City plan aims to entice investment Uptown, West Oakland | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
From potentially slowing down Boulevard of the Allies through lane reductions, to creating more public green spaces and pumping about $215 million in infrastructure investment as part of the Bus Rapid Transit system between Downtown and Oakland, the plan aims to end a legacy of disinvestment in the area. It will rely on funds from public, private and philanthropic groups.

The plan also addresses concerns of driving out the over 130 long-term landowners in the area. Not wanting to price them out, the high-density mixed-used development will focus around the west of the neighborhood closer to Downtown leaving much of the center and eastern sections as low-density residential areas. It will also encourage developers to build affordable housing and discourage building demolitions.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:29 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSantoRules View Post
this sounds like a great plan. but wouldn't giving landowners tax break be better than halting progress though? i also wonder how many of these landowners are individuals that occupy residences.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,613 times
I love it, but changing BofA into that amazing looking streetscape will go over about as well as a bike lane. I can already hear the cries of "I can't drive 75 mph anymore!!" It would take some careful planning and speed mitigation to get travelers going west off the parkway to slow down before hitting BofA, but what a wonderful view that would be from that sidewalk.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:58 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,345 times
Insanity. City leadership hates drivers and hates people that can't easily hop on a bus to get to their destination. Screw anybody who doesn't want to live in the East End Center of the Universe.

Uptown is already walkable! Why are folks coming up with solutions in search of problems?

There's no problem walking down Fifth Ave from the Hill to Downtown through Uptown. I do it every day - and every day back to the Hill. The only problem for me is risking my life every day by crossing Diamond Street - but that's a downtown problem - not a "we should take out a lane on the Boulevard to screw those evil commuters so I can walk next to the river".

Old 07-13-2017, 08:59 AM

354 posts, read 475,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
this sounds like a great plan. but wouldn't giving landowners tax break be better than halting progress though? i also wonder how many of these landowners are individuals that occupy residences.
Idk. So much of Uptown is still more or less land banked by speculators. I don't think giving them a tax break would encourage them to move on at all.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:07 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Insanity. City leadership hates drivers and hates people that can't easily hop on a bus to get to their destination. Screw anybody who doesn't want to live in the East End Center of the Universe.

Uptown is already walkable! Why are folks coming up with solutions in search of problems?

There's no problem walking down Fifth Ave from the Hill to Downtown through Uptown. I do it every day - and every day back to the Hill. The only problem for me is risking my life every day by crossing Diamond Street - but that's a downtown problem - not a "we should take out a lane on the Boulevard to screw those evil commuters so I can walk next to the river".
Imagine living a city that's home to the state's second and third-largest business districts, and being upset that the city wants to eliminate the blight between the two.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:25 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,090 times
The Boulevard was at one time full of store fronts, as was Bigelow. It wasn't always Pittsburgh's Nurburgring.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:25 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
The idea behind "protecting homeowners" is basically that the upzoning is limited to the western side of the neighborhood - the corridor around Fifth Avenue. They want to ensure that the infill in the zone which still has a lot of rowhouses remains at rowhouse density, so that the land speculators who have bought up a lot of the rowhouses (and demolished countless more for parking) don't just knock everything down to build new high-density apartment buildings, effectively pushing the homeowners out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

Uptown is sort of walkable, but there are significant improvements which could be made to sidewalks and pedestrian infrastructure. Perhaps more importantly, there's not much to walk to. Discounting Duquense students and those who live in the county jail, there's only around 1,000 residents, which is far too little to support a viable business district. This is why they've come up with a master plan to add 2,000+ units of housing into the neighborhood (mostly closer to downtown).

If you read through the entire master plan, it seems clear that the BoA redesign is nice to have, but not essential. Much more is focused on the restoration of the Fifth Avenue corridor to a vibrant urban streetscape and filling in the blight. I do think at minimum something needs to be done with Boulevard of the Allies from Van Braam to Senaca though. Lots of buildings directly front on it (including rowhouses) and they'll never be more than slum housing in the current configuration of the street.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:35 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The idea behind "protecting homeowners" is basically that the upzoning is limited to the western side of the neighborhood - the corridor around Fifth Avenue. They want to ensure that the infill in the zone which still has a lot of rowhouses remains at rowhouse density, so that the land speculators who have bought up a lot of the rowhouses (and demolished countless more for parking) don't just knock everything down to build new high-density apartment buildings, effectively pushing the homeowners out.

Uptown is sort of walkable, but there are significant improvements which could be made to sidewalks and pedestrian infrastructure. Perhaps more importantly, there's not much to walk to. Discounting Duquense students and those who live in the county jail, there's only around 1,000 residents, which is far too little to support a viable business district. This is why they've come up with a master plan to add 2,000+ units of housing into the neighborhood (mostly closer to downtown).

If you read through the entire master plan, it seems clear that the BoA redesign is nice to have, but not essential. Much more is focused on the restoration of the Fifth Avenue corridor to a vibrant urban streetscape and filling in the blight. I do think at minimum something needs to be done with Boulevard of the Allies from Van Braam to Senaca though. Lots of buildings directly front on it (including rowhouses) and they'll never be more than slum housing in the current configuration of the street.
that makes sense. how will building high density buildings push homeowners out though that wouldn't happen with the increased desirability of the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh