Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Congratulations! Will you be in the humanities department?
Thanks,
No, they were at least smart enough to keep me away from there ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 05:40 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Thanks,
Got it -- I'm sure you'll be great at whatever it is you're teaching. See you around; even if we're in different areas it's still one university and a wonderful place to work.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Thanks,
You are a barrister, correct? Teaching at Pitt's law school I'd expect.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Got it -- I'm sure you'll be great at whatever it is you're teaching. See you around; even if we're in different areas it's still one university and a wonderful place to work.
Thanks; & I should clarify why i put the smartbros as a unworthwhile site. Having met a handful of the contributors, they make no qualms that the operation of the site consists of looking at what is currently angering white people & crafting articles with the specific intent to fan those flames & drive traffic by way of decisiveness. While I realize this is how most blogs operate (solely to maximize click money rather then doing anything but the most cursorary 'journalistic' work), it's makes it even worse to hear it firsthand. Blogs in general are primarily complete garbage by people who want to make money without doing much actual work & which make society a worse place in general.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You are a barrister, correct? Teaching at Pitt's law school I'd expect.
No, law teaching jobs are nearly impossible to get around here (elsewhere too I expect) given the amount of un or underemployed people in the field. I'm just doing an undergrad class to get some more academic credentials on my CV & to maybe do more teaching in the future.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:31 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
No, law teaching jobs are nearly impossible to get around here (elsewhere too I expect) given the amount of un or underemployed people in the field. I'm just doing an undergrad class to get some more academic credentials on my CV & to maybe do more teaching in the future.
Congratulations on the new gig, and best of luck!

Old 08-18-2017, 01:46 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Congratulations on the new gig, and best of luck!
second that!

Old 08-18-2017, 02:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Thanks; & I should clarify why i put the smartbros as a unworthwhile site. Having met a handful of the contributors, they make no qualms that the operation of the site consists of looking at what is currently angering white people & crafting articles with the specific intent to fan those flames & drive traffic by way of decisiveness. While I realize this is how most blogs operate (solely to maximize click money rather then doing anything but the most cursorary 'journalistic' work), it's makes it even worse to hear it firsthand. Blogs in general are primarily complete garbage by people who want to make money without doing much actual work & which make society a worse place in general.
Yeah, as I went to that site and looked around, it was a site that trashed white people on every click. Just moronic stuff to make money. I guess that is what everything is from somewhat moderate mainstream media to as low as that site. Seems to be working for them as they get traffic. Oddly, I find people putting down white people in the city as if it is just normal everyday life. They don't feel it is prejudicial at all, which I find odd, but not surprising.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:38 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Both countries have things that each does better than the other IMO. The US does offer more opportunity, more in the way of well known universities and hospitals, more diversity in just about every category, and overall I think it offers much more in the way of interesting climates and places to see (not that Canada is a slouch). Canada is certainly better though with crime, access to health care and healthy living, less political polarization, and I also think people are way more laid back than in the US. I have seen a few articles the American Dream and goals of the future might reside in Canada though if we continue on this part of insanity.

Just curious, how do the Canadians you know feel about coming south since the election? I have seen a lot of comments on Canadian websites in recent months of people cancelling trips or saying they done coming here now.
I'll answer as a Canadian. There are some people here who won't travel to the U.S. to protest Trump but IMO the vast majority of Canadians not going to the U.S. are making that decision due to the low value of the Canadian dollar.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:58 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
It's not like we aren't in the middle of an opioid epidemic or anything...Chicago is a war zone...but let's focus on a statue in Pittsburgh that almost everyone has never noticed.
Interesting how all this "statue talk" wasn't such an issue under the prior administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh