Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:22 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
i didn't say it was a negative. i was commenting on a prior poster's question of why they aren't seeing visual improvement to an area that they where expecting to. i compared to two other areas that are similar.

Heck you were replying to me, and I wholeheartedly agree with what you said. It wasn't negative. Brookline is changing demographically and housing wise, yet the business district is stuck in a rut. Same as many other parts of the city. It will reach a tipping point, but it has taken longer than I anticipated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 12:23 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
That's a good way to put it -- the disagreement is really about how to define "gritty" these days. Millvale is funny, because on the surface it certainly preserves the veneer of an average PA town, but once you spend time inside the newer establishments you start to see the differences pretty clearly.

Editing to respond to Paul -- I wouldn't read too much into the negative part; I just took that to mean if someone sees Lawrenceville as "gritty" it says a lot about where they are coming from, and what they mean by the word.
unfortunately i can't put it as eloquently as you but that is what i was getting at.

to the second part. i have no doubt those posters chose the words for a reason. they put me into some sort of stereotype for some reason and their comments are condescending, such as assuming that i haven't lived in the area for years.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Heck you were replying to me, and I wholeheartedly agree with what you said. It wasn't negative. Brookline is changing demographically and housing wise, yet the business district is stuck in a rut. Same as many other parts of the city. It will reach a tipping point, but it has taken longer than I anticipated.
i just think it is characteristic of Pittsburgh. even in places like mt lebo where you would expect daisy fields and pristine lawns there is a good amount of "grit" in some parts. i'm not saying that in a bad way at all.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:32 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,019,980 times
I do think it's true that compared to other metro areas I've lived in/visited, people let the outside of their houses look more ratty/run down in Pittsburgh than they would if they were of the same socio-economic status but live elsewhere.

That said, this is a universal thing, it's not about Lawrenceville or Millvale. Shadyside has a whole lot of ugly considering how rich it is.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:07 PM

325 posts, read 322,981 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4507...7i13312!8i6656

you been warned!! haha don't park here unless you are trained in hand to hand combat

Old 08-24-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post

you been warned!! haha don't park here unless you are trained in hand to hand combat

In that parking lot? Or where that black SUV is parked?

Old 08-24-2017, 01:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,090 times
Quote:

Um, those are probably private lots. If you want to park there during events you's typically expect to pay. If you didn't pay, it's a wonder that you weren't towed. Unreal.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:48 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Um, those are probably private lots. If you want to park there during events you's typically expect to pay. If you didn't pay, it's a wonder that you weren't towed. Unreal.
When did ones private property become public property?

If they're private and you don't have permission, you should expect to be towed.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
not to bash anyone.. but the north side of Pittsburgh has always been rough as heck.. I am a lifetime Pittsburgh native.. literally on sunday I parked my car on a PUBLIC side street to walk to the steelers game.. A guy had a whole bunch of chairs blocking the street so he can CHARGE people to park on a public street.. Of course I didn't know this so as soon as I got out my vehicle he ran up to me in my face screaming that the spot was saved and his.. I nudged the guy outta my face before I had to do something.. it was just redicolous.. North side has a long way to go never heard one good thing except for ccac and north shore
they said street but who knows

Old 08-24-2017, 02:03 PM

Yeah but almost that entire block of public street is a curb cut out, so you cant legally part there, even if there is a chain up on the private land. Perhaps the guy was blocking the curb cut out area, and then charging for him not caring that you were blocking entrance to the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh