Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:31 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,009,248 times

Advertisements

I went to a brewpub in Springdale of all places the other night and it got me thinking how many brewpubs are around here. Here is a start of a list, but it will be wildly incomplete. I think it would be fun to list some and give your thoughts on them.

Grist House Millvale. Pretty good beer, parking isn't the greatest, no food, but food trucks often.
Draai Laag Millvale. Belgium style beers and VERY good. Great atmosphere with game tables and cool seating.
Couch Brewery. East Liberty (Negley Run/Washington Blvd) Great beer selection, no food. Nice inside. I really like this place, good parking.
Dancing Gnome Sharpsburg. Mostly hoppy beers, nice building. Food trucks out front sometimes. Not my style of beer for the most part. Didn't have the best service on one occasion as a woman seemed bothered by some questions as I explained it was my first time there.
Leaning Cask Springdale. Great place and atmosphere. They had a food truck when I was there serving brick oven pizza. I will go back to this one.
Hope Farm Lawrenceville. I wasn't sure about this one because I don't like really hoppy beers, but alas it wasn't all hoppy. I think they have some really good beers and nice atmosphere. They have some small plates like cheese and such. Good place and I go to this now and again.
Voodoo Homestead Great beer and atmosphere with food trucks. If I am in this area, I stop by.
Church Pittsburgh Huge place full menu and cool idea. I think this place was just too big for me. Beer is okay.
Penn Brewery Another pretty big place. I like it okay and they serve food. Huge Oktoberfest!
Fatheads Southside An unsung place IMHO. They have beer on cask, which is rare. Big food and good beer, but crowded with that location. It also has been around long before the brewpub craze and I feel it is underrated.

For a long drive? I just have to mention North Country in Slippery Rock. Great farm to fork burgers and just great food. Try the beer bread that isn't really even on the menu. Very good beer selection and beer on cask. This is my favorite brewpub in Western PA. Lots of cool wood carvings as well. No TV's!

There are plenty of others, but this is a start. Let me know about your favorites as I am always interested to try new places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 10:44 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,242,908 times
Shubrew in Zelienople is excellent and The Harmony Inn is owned by North Country Brewing. Same beers and food. It's better because it has tv's to watch the games.

Huge fan of East End Brewery and Hofbrauhaus.

Fatheads is excellent, and a blast during and after sporting events.

Last edited by erieguy; 08-25-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-25-2017, 12:25 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
Does Fat Head's actually count as a brewpub since the beer is actually made in Cleveland?

There's also:
Spoonwood in Bethel Park
Mindful Brewing in Castle Shannon
Hitchhiker in Mt. Lebanon

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-25-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 12:36 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,162,325 times
Stick City Brewing is a new one on the way in Mars. It will be in an old fire station.
Brew Gentlemen in Braddock is also considered by many to be one of the better breweries around.

Of the ones already listed, I really enjoy Voodoo, Grist House, and Draai Laag.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:43 PM

110 posts, read 96,032 times
Southern Tier, as well!

Old 08-25-2017, 12:50 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,105,206 times
Allegheny City Brewing on Foreland street. Beers are all they serve, sometimes they have guest beers on tap. Will have food trucks occasionally. Small place, decent beer, check them out.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:17 PM

189 posts, read 166,385 times
We are big craft beer fans and have tried many listed. Love that there are always new ones to check out. We enjoy a variety of beer styles so can almost always find something to drink. And if its not so great...well, it was just one beer!

Also love that so many host food trucks rather than try to do food too. Concentrate on what you can do well.

To the list I would add...

Roundabout, Lawrenceville- fun events, some with live music, and some food and often trucks.
Insurrection, Heidelburg - like their beer and love their charcuterie menu, although it can get pricey. Great mac & cheese too
Full Pint, North Versailles and Lawrenceville- so glad they opened a second location. Great place for a beer before dinner at Cure.
Helltown, Mt. Pleasant - was only here once but like their beer

Also FYI the original Voodoo is in Meadville in case you're on a road trip.

Grist House and Hitchhiker are dog friendly.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Does Fat Head's actually count as a brewpub since the beer is actually made in Cleveland?

There's also:
Spoonwood in Bethel Park
Mindful Brewing in Castle Shannon
Hitchhiker in Mt. Lebanon
Soon Hitchhiker is going to open a place in Sharpsburg. Looking forward to that. Have no been to the other two you listed, but they are pretty far away for me, but I will keep them in mind.

Well, Fat Heads is an offshoot I guess. Sort of like Southern Tier, which I am not a fan of with all those hops.

https://twitter.com/Hitchhikerbrew

Old 08-25-2017, 02:26 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,601,176 times
Benjamins Burger Bar on Western Ave has been bought out by the War Streets Brewery. The plan is to keep the menu the same, change the name to Bier's Pub (I think -- something involving Bier), and start serving War Streets beer by November. Apparently renovating the original site in the MWS was too tough to pull off, but at least they are still planning to stay on the Northside. They do a lot of small events, and we like their beer, so we're looking forward to this.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieRose View Post
We are big craft beer fans and have tried many listed. Love that there are always new ones to check out. We enjoy a variety of beer styles so can almost always find something to drink. And if its not so great...well, it was just one beer!

Also love that so many host food trucks rather than try to do food too. Concentrate on what you can do well.

To the list I would add...

Roundabout, Lawrenceville- fun events, some with live music, and some food and often trucks.
Insurrection, Heidelburg - like their beer and love their charcuterie menu, although it can get pricey. Great mac & cheese too
Full Pint, North Versailles and Lawrenceville- so glad they opened a second location. Great place for a beer before dinner at Cure.
Helltown, Mt. Pleasant - was only here once but like their beer

Also FYI the original Voodoo is in Meadville in case you're on a road trip.

Grist House and Hitchhiker are dog friendly.
Been thinking about going to Helltown, but no food there or even trucks. I'll have to try it.

Leaning Cask in Springdale is also dog friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh