Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times

Advertisements

Oh my poor kid. He has the above choice to make. He is pretty bummed as he wanted to get into the main campus's but got into the other campus's instead. Its ok. Amazing one of the kids in his class with a lower SAT score (1050) got into Penn State Main. The reason ; her dad is good friends with the powers that be.

Anyway, can anyone voice their opinions on either ; good, bad or ugly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 06:31 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,024 times
There are a lot of reasons why colleges chose one applicant over another. He will be able to transfer to the main campus once he proves himself.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
There are a lot of reasons why colleges chose one applicant over another. He will be able to transfer to the main campus once he proves himself.
I keep telling him that. But when one kid takes AP classes, and honors classes and has a 1300 sat, and the other takes regular classes and has a much less sat, its hard to believe that there are other reasons besides knowledge of the inside. He will thrive no matter where he goes, but I was just wondering which campus would be better.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:17 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,106 times
I prefer Altoona to Johnstown as a place to be. Don't know much about the two schools.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:18 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,591,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Amazing one of the kids in his class with a lower SAT score (1050) got into Penn State Main.
Certainly people get into schools for different reasons beyond SAT scores, but are you comparing apples to apples? Sometimes people include the writing score and sometimes people don't. And then I understand the changed the formula just recently.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:10 AM

977 posts, read 567,162 times
There can be advantages to going to the branch campuses. I am familiar with both Pitt campuses (main and Johnstown), although it's been quite some time, so I can't really speak to specifics about either one now. In general, though, the Johnstown campus had some very knowledgeable professors with smaller class sizes and more personalized attention. Pitt main is more of a research institution, and at least in my field (chemistry), the professors seemed to be more concerned with their research projects than with teaching undergrads. (I am generalizing here; there were some profs who were good teachers, it just seemed like many others were not interested).

It also is not true that your son would have to go to Pitt main to complete his degree. Johnstown offers BS programs in most majors. He could complete his degree entirely at Johnstown if that's what he wants to do. Educationally, Johnstown is quite good. It is with the extracurriculars and other things to do where Johnstown lacks. Johnstown is a small city that your son would probably find to be pretty boring if he's used to living in the Pittsburgh area. I am also pretty sure that university-related activities are more limited at Johnstown than at main. Overall, though, the Johnstown campus might be a good fit, and like others have said, he may have the opportunity to attend Main in a couple years.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with the Altoona PSU campus. City wise, though, Altoona is pretty similar to Johnstown. Both are relatively small cities that your son would probably find pretty boring.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Certainly people get into schools for different reasons beyond SAT scores, but are you comparing apples to apples? Sometimes people include the writing score and sometimes people don't. And then I understand the changed the formula just recently.
I don't know if I am comparing apples to apples. I do know that my son did the essay part which now is a choice. Its just frustrating. I know all colleges have their reasons etc ; I have two sons ; one didn't study and got into his first choice last year. This kid did all the right things ; studies, applies himself in school, takes challenging courses, etc and thought he was doing the right things to get into his first choice or at least his second choice. Its such a frustrating game. Sometimes it seems to be better, or at least more fun to rock the boat and see where it lands.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I keep telling him that. But when one kid takes AP classes, and honors classes and has a 1300 sat, and the other takes regular classes and has a much less sat, its hard to believe that there are other reasons besides knowledge of the inside. He will thrive no matter where he goes, but I was just wondering which campus would be better.

Happens all the time for various reasons. I had two students, girls, one year who applied to the University of Maryland College Park for Engineering.

One was the class's Co-Valedictorian with AP classes out the ying yang to include AP Calculus AB, had a 4.5 GPA (if I remember correctly) and a bunch of extra curriculars, National Honor Society, something from the College Board because she had multiple scores of 4/5, etc. She was accepted as a provisional student.

The other one had a 3.2, no APs, highest Math was Alg II/Trig, few extra curriculars. She was accepted as a full student in the program.

The difference was that the second student was a member of an under represented group in Engineering.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:56 AM

130 posts, read 122,510 times
I think they are both rolling admissions, so someone that applies early has a better chance than someone that applies in the winter.

Both schools will be similar. Johnstown is probably the most rigorous Pitt branch campus, while Altoona probably ranks behind Behrend in that regard.

The likelihood of your son eventually transferring to the main campus is high, so he should base it on whether he'd rather go to Pittsburgh or University Park. That said he probably has an advantage over the people that do 4 years at the main campus. The 101 level courses at the main campuses are usually 300 person lectures that may or may not be taught by someone interested in teaching. By doing 1 or 2 years at a branch campus, they can get a better foundation in a smaller environment in (generally) easier classes.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:06 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,876 times
Pitt. It really doesn't matter where he does his first year or 2. The program he's interested in is #1 in the country at Pitt. He needs to get a post grad degree. If he graduates from Pitt in that field, it means something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh