Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:16 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,134,126 times

Advertisements

Agree, I grew up in NJ and lived in FL for 11 years too and my prior work had me spend weeks or months around the country at times. Here in Pgh for 14 now though my family is all from here so I have always visited 1-2 times a year when I didnt live here. I love most aspects but the one thing you really do have to consider is weather, I like the cold and snow so it wasnt a big deal to me but until I lived here I didnt realize how cloudy it really is. https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...est-cities.php

We are up in the top, and most cloudy days in winter are not partly cloudy its usually full on clouds all day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 AM

37,207 posts, read 39,473,415 times
What you're saying seems to match up pretty well with moving here. You should probably take a trip here first--perhaps pair that trip with lining up some job interviews?

Old 11-08-2018, 08:03 PM

44 posts, read 28,662 times
Any luck w/ the job hunt and move? What type of tech are you in?
I'm considering a very similar move, I work as a Linux engineer L3 support, seems like there are some good opportunities I just hope the salaries are good too. We almost moved to Raleigh a few years ago but lack of full time, non-contract, decent pay jobs was a deal breaker. May have been the time of year/job market//my skill level, not totally a Raleigh thing. The peopleople and food were great though.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:43 AM

97 posts, read 101,055 times
Mental health services are very good here. Ive lived in a few cities and Pittsburgh has the best Ive seen.
Lots of culture and amazing architecture and history here.
Geographically and historically, Pittsburgh has a strong sense of place.
Lush green hills as opposed to the desert.
But cold, cold winters. That's the biggest downside.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:35 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,649,585 times
I moved to Pittsburgh from CA six years ago. I did a ton of research and made multiple visits before the move. I'm very happy here, but I hate the weather. My advice echos other posters. Visit, be a tourist, but also explore the area as though you lived here. This board was incredibly helpful for gathering info, asking questions, etc.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,649,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlwhip View Post
Mental health services are very good here. Ive lived in a few cities and Pittsburgh has the best Ive seen.
Agreed, but for me the hot humid summers are the worst. I'm a total wimp with hot weather.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:37 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,315,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlwhip View Post
It’s a typical northeast winter. It’s cold but not that harsh. If you go a bit north to Erie or upstate NY, that’s a cold snowy winter!

Old 11-10-2018, 09:55 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,777,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
It’s a typical northeast winter. It’s cold but not that harsh. If you go a bit north to Erie or upstate NY, that’s a cold snowy winter!

True, but midwestern cities feel like they have colder winters, to me. Wind is the biggest difference, and cities are much flatter and more windy in the midwest. Pittsburgh has relatively mild winters.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:08 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,560,117 times
I knew a Wisconsin girl that lived here for a few years. She'd laugh when people complained about the harsh winters in Pittsburgh. They are relatively mild, grey and overcast and sometimes downright ugly, but not that cold.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:24 AM

755 posts, read 473,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
True, but midwestern cities feel like they have colder winters, to me. Wind is the biggest difference, and cities are much flatter and more windy in the midwest. Pittsburgh has relatively mild winters.
Yes. Wind! Wind! Wind! Lived in upstate NY for 15 years and the wind made a huge difference. Not only in temp but the drifting of snow would be significant. People would ask how much snow we got and I'd say it depends. I can see the grass in the back of the house but it's up to the porch deck in the front of the house. I would not call the winters in Pittsburgh severe by any stretch. Gray, glum and gloomy, for sure. But there are a lot of indoor events and activities and that's what gets me through. Plus pretty good air service to warmer climes if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh