Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:28 AM

527 posts, read 320,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What bothers me is that we have been eclipsed by Tulsa and Wichita! Does it really matter how big Pittsburgh is,
Pittsburgh is what 55 square miles?

Tulsa is about 200 and Wichita is +160

City populations much be looked at in context of their political boundaries...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 11:07 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
Pittsburgh is what 55 square miles?

Tulsa is about 200 and Wichita is +160

City populations much be looked at in context of their political boundaries...
Sounds great, can you convince the media and general public to only compare city populations by city boundary? Houston is over 600 square miles, yet the media and general public like to compare it to Chicago (234 square miles) and Philadelphia (142 square miles). I recently read an article about how Houston may surpass Chicago in population because Chicago's population continues to decline. Of course the article was ridiculous as Chicago is geographically much smaller than Houston and Houston is nowhere close to surpassing Chicago in population anytime soon, but the media loves to cover the "doom and gloom."

Old 05-30-2018, 01:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm inclined to agree. However, MOST Americans look at a city and think "population growth = city must be doing something right" vs. "population decline = city must be doing something wrong".

If Pittsburgh is going to continue to lose overall population, but the population that remains will be progressively higher-earning and better-educated via gentrification, then is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Probably both. For one thing, I have a problem with the idea of "better" people living in Pittsburgh or any city. For another, federal funding is often based on population, so more people is inherently better by that metric. OTOH, people who can pay more taxes to the city and spend more money in the city is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Explain why anyone other than Pittsburghers or Columbus and Colorado trolls care about the population dropping below 300k?
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Most people don't.
But some forumites who live in the suburbs and/or no longer live here enjoy the narrative that Pittsburgh is a terrible place to live. That helps them feel good about their life choices. It's funny that the people on here who like the city are people who actually live in the city. Hmm...
Did you two have someone in mind?

Old 05-30-2018, 06:35 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,920 times
Hi Pittsburgh. Just checking from Baltimore in regarding population loss. I took some time to analyze Baltimore's 2016 population loss by Zip Code and determined that the areas losing large amount of population aren't generally its well documented slums. Instead, the losses are in lower middle class and not unusually troubled areas. The slummy areas did have some very modest losses. Thriving areas near the Johns Hopkins University campus had nearly 10% yearly declines. It was also interesting that fast growing (in terms of new apartment buildings) harbor adjacent areas are showing very little population growth. All in all, I am puzzled by the population loss statistics in Baltimore. I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh also has some counter intuitive patterns.

In general, it seems that Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis are all in a strange pattern where resident incomes are growing at surprising rates while population losses are showing cities in a downward spiral.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:45 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Why are people always making excuses for Pittsburgh's population loss? I keep hearing it's going to increase next year, and every year it's lost people. Pittsburgh defenders are very adamant about their population, more so than almost any other city

Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Hi Pittsburgh. Just checking from Baltimore in regarding population loss. I took some time to analyze Baltimore's 2016 population loss by Zip Code and determined that the areas losing large amount of population aren't generally its well documented slums. Instead, the losses are in lower middle class and not unusually troubled areas. The slummy areas did have some very modest losses. Thriving areas near the Johns Hopkins University campus had nearly 10% yearly declines. It was also interesting that fast growing (in terms of new apartment buildings) harbor adjacent areas are showing very little population growth. All in all, I am puzzled by the population loss statistics in Baltimore. I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh also has some counter intuitive patterns.

In general, it seems that Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis are all in a strange pattern where resident incomes are growing at surprising rates while population losses are showing cities in a downward spiral.
When I looked at the Pittsburgh numbers by census tract, I concluded they were total garbage when you drilled down that far. I mean, I saw things like population increases in historically blighted neighborhoods like the Hill District, yet 20%+ projected declines in Oakland (which has seen substantial new construction, and IIRC hasn't lost population since the 1960s).

The bottom line is the numbers were ridiculous for Pittsburgh, so I'm not bothering to analyze them. I'm guessing the same is true for Baltimore.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:40 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Why are people always making excuses for Pittsburgh's population loss? I keep hearing it's going to increase next year, and every year it's lost people. Pittsburgh defenders are very adamant about their population, more so than almost any other city
I couldn’t care less about the population of Pittsburgh, but I also place very little faith in census estimates. I’ll discuss population numbers when the results of the 2020 census are in.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:57 AM

716 posts, read 766,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What kind of nightmare are you stuck living in where you are "always" hearing excuses and "keep hearing" the population of Pittsburgh is going to increase? You need a new job, new hobbies, new friends or something if this discussion plagues your existence so.

Anyway Pittsburgh is a great city and doesn't need "defenders," as you say and count me in on the list of resident posters who couldn't care less about population.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I couldn’t care less about the population of Pittsburgh, but I also place very little faith in census estimates. I’ll discuss population numbers when the results of the 2020 census are in.
People on this same forum were saying what you're saying now just before the 2010 census, where the city lost 29,000 people over 10 years. Maybe you're right, but it sure isn't looking that way.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
What kind of nightmare are you stuck living in where you are "always" hearing excuses and "keep hearing" the population of Pittsburgh is going to increase? You need a new job, new hobbies, new friends or something if this discussion plagues your existence so.

Anyway Pittsburgh is a great city and doesn't need "defenders," as you say and count me in on the list of resident posters who couldn't care less about population.
You seem pretty offended by my remark. Half the comments on this thread are excuses for the city's loss in population, have you been reading the comments at all???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh