Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I spend a lot of time in Erie, I don't see many waterfront properties. That is why I didn't recommend it.
They do have a yacht club up there that I was thinking of joining. I think Lake Erie is a bit scary for many because of the storms, but it is pretty huge. The lake has a lot of shallow areas and can be very choppy for boating. Not as sheltered as some lakes. I still think it has a lot going for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 08:18 PM

615 posts, read 393,922 times
Here are the best lakes with lakefront homes within 3 hours of the burgh. I have rented lakefront homes at each.

1. Deep Creek Lake, Maryland
2. Lake Chautauqua, New York
3. Apple Valley Lake, Ohio
4. Cheat Lake, West Virginia
5. Buckeye Lake, Ohio
6. Tappan Lake, Ohio
7. Lake Erie, lots of lakefront homes in Ohio just east of Cleveland.
8. Alpine Lake, West Virginia and probably the best bargain of the above mentioned. It is 20
Miles from deep creek just on the WV MD border

If you are willing to have a 5 hour drive limit. I would suggest the Finger Lakes in upstate New York

Old 07-06-2018, 06:40 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,541,508 times
Deep Creek is becoming McLake, if not already there. It's rather small and you really have to be a good boater, which seems to be a lost art. If you're an avid skier plan on hitting the lake by 6 AM before it gets too crowded. Jet Skis have restricted hours. Prices are skyrocketing due to the influx of those from DC and Maryland that are shut out of the Chesapeake. I can tell you personally that lakefront at Chautauqua is high as well, probably 600K to start for a shack. It's not over improved, yet. Still a lot of parks, retreats, and camps that can be used by those shut out by price.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Deep Creek is becoming McLake, if not already there. It's rather small and you really have to be a good boater, which seems to be a lost art. If you're an avid skier plan on hitting the lake by 6 AM before it gets too crowded. Jet Skis have restricted hours. Prices are skyrocketing due to the influx of those from DC and Maryland that are shut out of the Chesapeake. I can tell you personally that lakefront at Chautauqua is high as well, probably 600K to start for a shack. It's not over improved, yet. Still a lot of parks, retreats, and camps that can be used by those shut out by price.
The OP may have to expand from 3-5 hours to get what they want. The finger lakes is probably their best bet for not being over crowded. These are large deep natural lakes with plenty of room.

Probably the least crowded of all lakes I mentioned would be Tappan Lake. We are close to large population centers east and west. Too many people overcrowd most of these lakes.

Most of Pa lakes are surrounded by public land and are parks. My favorite fishing area is Lake Wilhelm. It is a Great Lake to fish and doesn’t get the pressure of pymatuning and Arthur

Old 07-12-2018, 11:57 AM

395 posts, read 488,262 times
Tappan and Treasure Lakes would be nice lakes if it weren't for the areas there in which IMO are very depressing.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
Tappan and Treasure Lakes would be nice lakes if it weren't for the areas there in which IMO are very depressing.
It’s basically rural Pittsburgh. If you can stomach rural Pittsburgh these areas are a breeze. You can be blindfolded and placed there. You wouldn’t know if you were in rural Washington county or Tappan lake. All of these areas look the same to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh