Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 10:29 AM

123 posts, read 138,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I always thought that those who sought refugee in Millvale from Lawrenceville housing prices were those in the service industry and artists who could not afford Lawrenceville anymore. So everyone was talking about it as a place that was close to the hottest markets but was still affordable, but not one that was ever going to be as much of a hot market itself.

So, one has to ask, do people want to live in Millvale because it is close to Lawrenceville or do people have to live in Millvale to be close to Lawrenceville. People who can afford to buy in Lawrenceville have plenty of other options n the city, so the draw of Millvale is lessened.
Either way it makes it a desirable area, no? There's actual nice homes for $150k, shocking to someone like me who is used to Boston prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 10:34 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattolson View Post
Either way it makes it a desirable area, no? There's actual nice homes for $150k, shocking to someone like me who is used to Boston prices.

I meant that the people that were moving there were doing so because they could afford it, not because it was someplace cool to live. That being said it has cool things happening over there, just not sure enough to make it a really hot area.

Also, do you have a link to the nice homes in Millvale for 150k?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:36 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Belt Kid View Post
The OP may want to keep Millvale in mind. Not a lot of inventory, but sometimes something pops up every now and then that really tempts me. The housing stock isn't great (similar to Bloomfield), but Millvale is a cool little town in its own right (2 breweries, French bakery, coffee shop, record store, etc), and has the advantage of being right across the bridge from Lawrenceville. I would imagine a renovated home near the Millvale amenities would appreciate well--especially in 2-3 yrs.
someone willing to pay 2,500 isn't going to want to live in millvale. let's be real here.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I meant that the people that were moving there were doing so because they could afford it, not because it was someplace cool to live. That being said it has cool things happening over there, just not sure enough to make it a really hot area.

Also, do you have a link to the nice homes in Millvale for 150k?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

Please correct me if I've wrong. I still haven't spent a day in Pitt, in relation to this move.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:37 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I never hear anything about Millvale anymore. Is Millville is gentrification/rejuvenation still happening, or did that shift back to the city?
Millvale's definitely still on the rise, but the housing stock is ****. Lots of rentals too, so little comes on the market.

Only thing I can see on the market now which isn't pending are two completely fixed up small frame rowhouses selling for $209,000 a piece.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:37 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I never hear anything about Millvale anymore. Is Millville is gentrification/rejuvenation still happening, or did that shift back to the city?
word on the street is that all the houses are owned by a few landlords. houses rarely go on the market.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Please correct me if I've wrong. I still haven't spent a day in Pitt, in relation to this move.

That is Etna, its the next town upriver from Millvale. So it is closer to Sharpsburg, not Lawrenceville. I am not sure if you can bike to Millvale from Etna or not. I know there is plans for the trail to be extended, just not sure how far it goes at this point.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:

That's Etna, not Millvale. Etna really isn't hip by any means yet, though it's arguably slowly on the rise as well now.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Millvale's definitely still on the rise, but the housing stock is ****. Lots of rentals too, so little comes on the market.

Only thing I can see on the market now which isn't pending are two completely fixed up small frame rowhouses selling for $209,000 a piece.
Nice guardrail for a front yard on those places too...you have to really dedicated to the cause to pay that for those places.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That's Etna, not Millvale. Etna really isn't hip by any means yet, though it's arguably slowly on the rise as well now.
I see. I went by zip on Zillow and must have picked the wrong one. I'm going to add that house to the list. I guess it can't hurt to explore all options. The yard is nice for the dogs too.

(Still love the Liverpool St place)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh