Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:10 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine growing up in a high rise. I'll take the 'burbs or country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 03:07 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Who is buying all of these million dollar condos in the city?

Old 07-16-2018, 03:08 PM

53 posts, read 55,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
My guess is investors who then lease them out

Old 07-16-2018, 03:09 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I can't imagine growing up in a high rise. I'll take the 'burbs or country.
It's nice to have the option for those who want a city high rise experience. That's what is nice about Pittsburgh. There is variety. Our downtown is stacked high, we have a few dense, historic core urban neighborhoods, we have leafy streetcar suburbs, some mid century suburbs, and we have the soulless exurbs.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:41 PM

615 posts, read 394,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
The idea for apartments above the new garage was scrapped, now it's planned to be condos on an additional 9 story structure above the garage. I wonder if they are going with a similar look as the former renderings. Some of the condos are projected to be in the 2 million range. One person involved commented that they want to see it begin contruction in a few weeks. That would be nice but seems way too optimistic.

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...igh-end-condos
It seems these are targeted to empty nester folks. Hard to imagine a huge influx of young people purchasing these condos especially when migration of younger people to the suburbs when it’s family time. Or the other few city neighborhoods with a walkable Main Street with more options. Mill craft did the whole condo thing around 10 years ago near market square. It took a few years before they all sold. This would be better served as apartments I believe. They probably get more money or something for making them condos vs apartments.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:44 PM

615 posts, read 394,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Good question. Somebody, but not soon I bet. It takes a while to sell those and most are purchased by empty nesters or folks with a thick wallet that live here part of the time. Not many people are in the market to shell out that dough to live in downtown Pittsburgh.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:46 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
It seems these are targeted to empty nester folks. Hard to imagine a huge influx of young people purchasing these condos especially when migration of younger people to the suburbs when it’s family time. Or the other few city neighborhoods with a walkable Main Street with more options. Mill craft did the whole condo thing around 10 years ago near market square. It took a few years before they all sold. This would be better served as apartments I believe. They probably get more money or something for making them condos vs apartments.
They needed to pre-sell 30% of the units to get financing, so they at least selling at that rate. I'm not familiar with those types of financing deals so I can't compare to other condo developments. I don't think it will take long for them to sell.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:31 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
All but one, the penthouse, of the $1MM+ condos are sold.

As for who is buying them...

“We have couples — old and young — empty nesters, professionals, tech workers who work for Google and other tech companies,” he said. “We’ve got people with children coming. We’ve got families, too, which is great for Downtown.”

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...y-condo-market

Old 07-16-2018, 05:24 PM

53 posts, read 55,034 times
if you go on the project website it looks like 35 of the 86 condos are sold

Old 07-16-2018, 09:15 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
If one of these projects is announced and they sell out immediately - then you'll know Amazon is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh