Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 02:18 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times

Advertisements

Some neighborhoods, like Woods Run, are so small that the renovation of even just a few homes in key locations could change the shape of the neighborhood. I also think our little business district has a lot of potential. There are a couple big lots on the corner of Brighton and Woods Run which would be ideal for future infill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 02:23 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Some neighborhoods, like Woods Run, are so small that the renovation of even just a few homes in key locations could change the shape of the neighborhood. I also think our little business district has a lot of potential. There are a couple big lots on the corner of Brighton and Woods Run which would be ideal for future infill.
Even with recent appreciation, Pittsburgh property values are still low enough you're never going to see infill which isn't subsided in some manner unless a neighborhood is already gentrifying.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:55 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times
I don't know. They're building things on vacant lots in downtown Connellsville, and that place isn't gentrifying. I don't know why half the city of Pittsburgh has to stagnate so that the other half can be overpriced. Then we perpetuate the cycle by telling people that buying or renovating homes in distressed neighborhoods shouldn't be done. It's no wonder everyone is crowding into the same neighborhoods, while there is a vacant housing epidemic in large swaths of the city.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:37 PM

615 posts, read 394,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I don't know. They're building things on vacant lots in downtown Connellsville, and that place isn't gentrifying. I don't know why half the city of Pittsburgh has to stagnate so that the other half can be overpriced. Then we perpetuate the cycle by telling people that buying or renovating homes in distressed neighborhoods shouldn't be done. It's no wonder everyone is crowding into the same neighborhoods, while there is a vacant housing epidemic in large swaths of the city.
Yep you nailed it. They created a vacuum and it’s artifically increased prices in these areas to rediculous levels. While the rest of the city and neighborhoods like Allentown and beechview with rail line service going directly through have half empty business districts somehow are off the radar for development even though they have dense housing walkable to the rail and business district. And you have a lot of people protesting and thinking they can’t afford a decent home in the city.

Peduto was crying the blues about the public transit being an issue. How much walkable city housing is off of the radar in the south hills neighborhoods. Why isn’t he pushing or promoting these areas? I think it has everything to do with making a few big developers very wealthy and keeping everything close to him in the east end. Does anybody else not see this?

Somebody needs to give him a map to find the south hills with the light rail going through it.

https://www.wtae.com/article/pittsbu...gions/22751768

Old 08-17-2018, 08:19 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
I can’t believe I am responding, but there is so much misinformation being put out there I had to. Granted none of this will be enough to quiet the haters, but perhaps someone else will read it.

Only one city south city neighborhood has light rail, Beechview. And Beechview is getting redevelopment....

https://www.bikepgh.org/2018/01/30/h...ave-beechview/

https://www.wpxi.com/news/4m-redevel...view/368139903

Officials Urge Beechview Residents To Think Of Broadway Avenue Redesign As

Once Broadway is redone, the demand in that area should pick up. Right now it is just not the most welcoming street but at the same time I am not sure the housing vacancy rate in Beechview is very high. Also, I challenge the walkability of Beechview. It is along the T line, but the hills are very steep and they drop away from the business district right away.

Brookline Blvd was reconstructed a few years and at this point with the increase in housing prices in Brookline I dont think they need to promote it very much. Prices have increased, homes are being renovated, but it is still cheaper than other areas so it doing well. Not booming (which is a good thing) but vacancy, or empty lots, is not an issue in Brookline either. The stores on the Blvd are 75% a disgrace but the I feel like at some point soon that fever is going to have to break.

So that leaves Overbrook on the south side of 51, which doesn’t have a business district and is not walkable.

North of 51, the neighborhoods are far worse (mt washington excluded), but Carrick has bigger issues right now than redevelopment. It is ground zero for opioids and the police are working very hard to get it under the control. The residents and the police are working hand in hand against that problem. So the city is paying attention to that neighborhood.

You keep saying “they” created or they promoted, but who is “they?” I think the turnaround and popularity (which feeds on itself after a while) was more done by individuals and neighborhood groups, not the mayor. The mayor doesn’t pay you off to move to Lawrenceville. I am also not sure how much influence you think the mayor has. What kind of redevelopment do you want? A Google office? The South Hills was never more than a residential and small business districts. They are not going to build large apartment buildings or office buildings in those areas, nor should they. So what is left? Working on the business districts, which they are currently doing or have done.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:08 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Only one city south city neighborhood has light rail, Beechview. And Beechview is getting redevelopment....
Hey man, don't forget about Bon-Air

Old 08-18-2018, 05:01 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Ashamed to admit but i completely forgot about it even when thinking of the non-business district ones. As my follow up then, I am not sure there is much to redevelop in that area and probably no vacancy.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:43 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Technically Mt Washington, and Beltzhoover also have direct connections to the T as well, maybe not as convenient as Beechview’s or Bon air’s but you can still walk to the station without crossing a major street.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:44 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Ashamed to admit but i completely forgot about it even when thinking of the non-business district ones. As my follow up then, I am not sure there is much to redevelop in that area and probably no vacancy.
One day, pretty much the entirety of Beltzhoover is ripe for redevelopment

Old 08-18-2018, 07:09 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
One day, pretty much the entirety of Beltzhoover is ripe for redevelopment
I believe if the warrington ave business district continues to get better, more and more Allentown and Beltzhoover development and investment will take place. Its not going to happen overnight, but in 10 years, I think anyone buying properties in these locations will do pretty darn well. Im pretty sure the days of livable houses selling for around the same price as an average new Honda are coming to an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh