Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 01:01 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I moved here from Boston. The town has the worst food scene of any major metro in the country.
I was just in Boston (only two days) and when there we went to this place in Cambridge called the Friendly Toast. The wait was insanely long (over an hour and a half IIRC) and I thought the breakfast was pretty average overall. I've definitely preferred what I've had at Pamela's over there. Another aside about Massachusetts in general, I've never been somewhere (in a pretty populated area) where I've seen so many places closed by 10 PM on a weekend before in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 02:39 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I was just in Boston (only two days) and when there we went to this place in Cambridge called the Friendly Toast. The wait was insanely long (over an hour and a half IIRC) and I thought the breakfast was pretty average overall. I've definitely preferred what I've had at Pamela's over there. Another aside about Massachusetts in general, I've never been somewhere (in a pretty populated area) where I've seen so many places closed by 10 PM on a weekend before in my life.
Bars officially close at 1AM except in Boston in MA, but I remember when I was younger a lot of places would have last call at 12 or even 11.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:21 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Bars officially close at 1AM except in Boston in MA, but I remember when I was younger a lot of places would have last call at 12 or even 11.
Also, happy hour specials are illegal.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:43 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Goodness, I could see those times on a Monday or Tuesday, but not the weekend. And people complain about bars closing early here at 2 AM (looking at Wiki, 2 AM seems to be the most common last call time for many cities). It was just strange to see so many even just regular restaurants closed by 10, when here they would generally still be open for another hour or two at least. I liked my visit to New England, but it's definitely not the place to go if you're looking for long nights out.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:07 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Acacia, home of some of the finest cocktails in all of Pgh, re-opens tonight at 5 pm. Not sure of the backstory on this one.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Acacia, home of some of the finest cocktails in all of Pgh, re-opens tonight at 5 pm. Not sure of the backstory on this one.
Hopefully a re-model of the bathrooms. They were atrocious.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:38 PM

595 posts, read 600,668 times
Quote:
I'm a vegan, my wife is picky as **** (and hates trying new restaurants), and I have two kids, so take this with a grain of salt, because I seldom go to the real upscale/foodie type restaurants.

Apteka - All vegan Polish restaurant. Lots of carnivores like it, so even if veggie food isn't your thing check it out.

B52 - Nice, all-vegan middle-eastern cafe in Lawrenceville. I usually only go there for breakfast or brunch. Their buckwheat pancakes are the bomb, but I usually go with their cashew yogurt and avocado toast.

Nicky's Thai Cuisine - best Thai food in the city by far. I'll go to other places, but they're kinda meh.

Pho Minh - In Garfield, and my favorite of the (admittedly small) array of Vietnamese restaurants in the city.

Round Corner Cantina - Mexican-ish restaurant in Lawrenceville with the best outdoor patio in the city. Food has been getting more meh as time passes, but the have some of the best freshly-made tortilla chips in the city. I'd recommend going there for drinks, chips, and the patio if nothing else.

Tamarind (Oakland) - My favorite place if I want South Indian food in the city.

Pittsburgh only has one Ethiopian place (Tana in East Liberty) and it's mediocre. Don't bother trying to find good bagels - there are none.

Edit: There are also places I go to a lot because they work for the whole family, but aren't anything special (e.g., Mad Mex) and places I love, but I think wouldn't have much appeal to non-vegans (e.g., Onion Maiden).
Nicky's is great - but I'm also a big fan of Little Bangkok in the Strip. The interior is meh - but the food is terrific.

I wish the other Tamarind (Green Tree & Cranberry locations aren't affiliated with the Oakland location) would open a location in the city (South Side please?!?!). I used to work for a company based in Kerala, and when our colleagues would come, they felt right at home at the Green Tree location as most of the staff actually spoke Malayalam.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:41 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
I wish the other Tamarind (Green Tree & Cranberry locations aren't affiliated with the Oakland location) would open a location in the city (South Side please?!?!). I used to work for a company based in Kerala, and when our colleagues would come, they felt right at home at the Green Tree location as most of the staff actually spoke Malayalam.
Yeah, the other Tamarind is way, way better. But it's a hike. I used to go there with my wife when coming back from her parents when our daughter was little a lot. But since my daughter will not eat any Indian food, and my son eats the bread and nothing else, I don't get a chance to partake much in general any longer.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:35 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Bad food may have previously been a Pittsburgh thing to be proud of but thankfully we have some great options now.

I apologize for reviving an old thread, but I just found a "LeMont" Restaurant menu from the 1960s. Though most of the restaurants in the Burgh 56 years ago were pretty awful, LeMont was the exception. Why it never received more than 3 stars in the Mobil Travel Guide, I don't know. Amazing that it is still in operation.

CONTENTdm

Old 07-08-2019, 09:32 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
My colleague was just taken to Sugar & Smoke in Bloomfield by her boyfriend, and she raved over the food. It's in the former "Del's" space. Anyone else try it out yet? I've been meaning to get there.

Also, not quite "restaurant"-related, but has anyone patronized Chantal's, the cheese shop in Bloomfield, yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh