Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:45 AM

123 posts, read 138,651 times

Advertisements

Having just moved to Pittsburgh (not Pitt) and being a huge foodie and culinary guy; was a chef earlier on in my career. Where are some must try places?

The only places we've been so far is Meat & Potatoes and BRGR. We are open to any type of cuisine, just want to create a must try list.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 09:53 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Superior Motors: https://www.superiormotors15104.com/

Old 08-08-2018, 10:02 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
If I had a create a list it would be:

-Umami in Lawrenceville is amazing for some late night eats.
-Merchant Oyster Co. and Muddy Waters are great raw bars.
-Or, the Whale has a great dinner and brunch menu
-Ace Hotel for cocktails at a good price
-Morcilla has some of the best charcuterie in the country
-Tako has great creative tequila drinks but always packed

Eating/drinking is my favorite pastime...

I would also try to get into one of these in their next season...

http://churchviewfarmpgh.com/2018-farm-dinner-series/

I am attending Festa Della Porchetta in a few weeks, and anticipate it being the highlight of my summer.

http://churchviewfarmpgh.com/special...lla-porchetta/

Old 08-08-2018, 10:08 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Apteka on Penn Avenue in Garfield offer vegan Eastern European cuisine, which is very good.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:16 AM

755 posts, read 472,738 times
Cinderlands - Lawrenceville
Scratch - Troy Hill
Apteka - Bloomfield/Garfield
Honest John's- Homestead
D'anoia's - Strip
Federal Galley - North Side (rotating space for emerging chefs/concepts), also sister restaurant Smallman Galley in the Strip

Cocktails - The Summit (Mt Washington), The Commoner (downtown)

And if you see a Leona`s ice cream sandwich anywhere...... EAT IT!

http://www.leonaspgh.com

Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Cinderlands - Lawrenceville
Scratch - Troy Hill
Apteka - Bloomfield/Garfield
Honest John's- Homestead
D'anoia's - Strip
Federal Galley - North Side (rotating space for emerging chefs/concepts), also sister restaurant Smallman Galley in the Strip

Cocktails - The Summit (Mt Washington), The Commoner (downtown)

Def agree with this list and The Summit is a def must visit. In my opinion, it is a top two bar in the city for cocktails. The prices are very reasonable for the quality and the staff is great. They recently brought back their "classics" and the Donnie Darko is by far my favorite drink ever.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:29 AM

755 posts, read 472,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Def agree with this list and The Summit is a def must visit. In my opinion, it is a top two bar in the city for cocktails. The prices are very reasonable for the quality and the staff is great. They recently brought back their "classics" and the Donnie Darko is by far my favorite drink ever.
Speaking of Donnie Darko, Row House Cinema is having a Brew and View screening on August 15.

Pretty trippy flick and with a couple brews on the side should be interesting: Row House Cinema

Old 08-08-2018, 12:08 PM

595 posts, read 600,668 times
Gaucho Parrilla Argentina

Old 08-08-2018, 12:36 PM

189 posts, read 166,197 times
Lots of great suggestions above! Many of our favorites and some new suggestions to try too. Looking forward to checking out the Summit.

I'll second/third the following

Morcilla (tapas) and Cure (charcuterie)- same chef- several James Beard nominations
Ace Hotel for drinks and we also like the Whitaker for brunch/lunch...never tried dinner
D'Anoia's- love for brunch
Federal and Smallman Galleys- also same owner- chef incubator with 4 different "kitchens"
Gaucho- favorite casual place in the city
Tako is my favorite from the DeShanz group
Scratch- interesting neighborhood place, can pair with a trip to Wigle Barrelhouse and/or Threadbare
Superior Motors- just covered by the New York Times

Not listed above-

Bar Frenchman- their upstairs is lovely and $$$$ but the downstairs has wonderful food and a great wine list
Smoke- favorite place in Lawrenceville
Blue Dust Inn in Homestead pairs great with a visit to VooDoo Brewing
Stagioni's is our fave Italian

While in many cases regional "best of" lists are anything but, we find that we agree with Pittsburgh Magazine's annual ratings. We've hit about 75% of the list...and was just reminded that we MUST get back to Chendgu Gourmet and try the Vandal, Apteka and Bitter Ends...

Pittsburgh's Best Restaurants 2018

Old 08-08-2018, 12:40 PM

189 posts, read 166,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
The Summit is a def must visit. In my opinion, it is a top two bar in the city for cocktails.

PghYinzer,
So what's your number 1? I love craft cocktails and am always looking for new places to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh