Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 09:14 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
Talking (and assuming) someone's financial position is rude. Telling them they have a problem because they are polite is rude. "If you don't like it go away" is rude. Exactly what my original post was about.
Bingo...and for anyone saying you shouldn’t frig with Western Pa girls, there are a lot of polite girls from Western Pa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 06:20 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo...and for anyone saying you shouldn’t frig with Western Pa girls, there are a lot of polite girls from Western Pa.
I listened to that audio for a bit. Any guy worth his weight in salt would not want to date women like that. The only kind of guys they will attract are guys that want a combative relationship or are wimps that want to be manipulated and walked on. Ugh. I'd hope that not that many women in the Pittsburgh area are like this.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:07 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I listened to that audio for a bit. Any guy worth his weight in salt would not want to date women like that. The only kind of guys they will attract are guys that want a combative relationship or are wimps that want to be manipulated and walked on. Ugh. I'd hope that not that many women in the Pittsburgh area are like this.
I didn’t even listen to the audio. I could just tell by the response.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:09 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Touché n'at!
Of course at this point, there's a lot of rudeness going back and forth. To a large extent, a poster sets the tone in their original message. Given what the OP wrote, it was predictable that many would be harsh. It makes me wonder how much rudeness the OP is actively eliciting in every day life too.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:00 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,562,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Having married a Bethel Park native, I can confirm this to be true.

I'm originally from Connecticut, and have lived most of my adult life in Georgia. Until a couple of Christmases ago, I had never been to Pittsburgh. So, I was very much a blank slate in terms of expectations on my first visit. What I did notice was not so much more or less politeness, but just a smidge more patience with unintended obliviousness. People didn't seem to be in nearly such a hurry, and were a little more forgiving to those who, oh for instance, weren't totally sure if they were in the correct left turn lane [which was totally not me, by the way].

Now, all of that said, indulge me for a paragraph in a story from that first visit. My warmest hoodie, and also my favorite hoodie, is a Red Sox hoodie. I can wear it all day every day in Atlanta, and nobody bats an eye, except maybe other Sox fans. Without thinking, I wore it on the day my then-girlfriend took me to Market Square. Nobody said anything, but I did get quite a bit of uncomfortable side-eye from passersby. The next year when we came up for Christmas? I didn't bother packing that hoodie

Old 08-24-2018, 09:53 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
Talking (and assuming) someone's financial position is rude. Telling them they have a problem because they are polite is rude. "If you don't like it go away" is rude. Exactly what my original post was about.
Just to be clear, Catia didn't make assumptions about your financial circumstances. When you use words like "if" and "maybe," you're not assuming. You're discussing one of many possibilities. If I say, "maybe it will rain today," I am not assuming it will rain. That said, whether it is rude to talk about (as opposed to assume) potential financial circumstances is more of a subjective issue.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:37 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I believe it's called satire....

Old 08-24-2018, 10:59 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
I think Pgh people are the friendliest people I've ever met, at least in the suburbs. Just the other day I had someone Pay it Forward in the McDonald's drive through lane. First time that ever happened to me. Ah, big deal. I only bought a Diet Coke for a grand total of $1.06, should have ordered the lobster.

Not sure how you can rate an entire area as rude or a certain group of people. Reminds of that old poster that used to say all the good drivers live above Route 80. I think it's more on a one to one basis. Rude people are everywhere, even more so today. Just look at the so called tv journalists and both political parties. I keep waiting for one of those clowns to tell someone You're mother wears army boots!

Guess it's my turn to Pay it Forward, maybe I'll hang out in Polish Hill and buy a beverage for SCR in Gooski's.(sp)

Old 08-24-2018, 11:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I think Pgh people are the friendliest people I've ever met, at least in the suburbs. Just the other day I had someone Pay it Forward in the McDonald's drive through lane. First time that ever happened to me. Ah, big deal. I only bought a Diet Coke for a grand total of $1.06, should have ordered the lobster.

Not sure how you can rate an entire area as rude or a certain group of people. Reminds of that old poster that used to say all the good drivers live above Route 80. I think it's more on a one to one basis. Rude people are everywhere, even more so today. Just look at the so called tv journalists and both political parties. I keep waiting for one of those clowns to tell someone You're mother wears army boots!

Guess it's my turn to Pay it Forward, maybe I'll hang out in Polish Hill and buy a beverage for SCR in Gooski's.(sp)
I agree with most of this. "Pay it forward" happens around here (unmentionable), too. I have no issue with Pittsburghers' friendliness.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:10 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:

Awwwwww Copanut, I like you! And, not only because you make me smile and laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh