Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 06:28 AM

769 posts, read 346,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Better than vacant, but with so many bank branches closing across the country as people do more online, this seems pointless other than expensive marketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 07:27 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,708,728 times
Yes I don't understand the recent wave of new banks opening offices. I thought they were closing more of them?

Old 07-19-2023, 08:57 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,965,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Yes I don't understand the recent wave of new banks opening offices. I thought they were closing more of them?
The new branches have limited staff and virtual banking capabilities. The spaces are more modern and well equipped for the future.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:10 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,135,139 times
People seem to forget banks don't really care about most individuals. They are there for the business needs and there are still plenty of businesses downtown needing an actual bank location.

Old 07-19-2023, 01:19 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,012,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
Better than vacant, but with so many bank branches closing across the country as people do more online, this seems pointless other than expensive marketing.
I look at it as a positive. Much better than a boarded up building. The business end is on the bank and not for me to judge. Banks will be going through a merging process over the next few decades I suspect, so positioning is key. PNC is in pretty good shape.

Old 07-19-2023, 08:29 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,063,408 times
Quote:
i am with you there. i am surprised at this. that Huntington Bank in the Strip on Smallman seems...so out of place, so 'different' from the facades of every other place in the vicinity.
i guess there'd inevitably be ONE bank in the general area (i am not aware of any others close by), but it just looks odd there.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:07 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,679,315 times
The geographical spacing of bank branches & ATM's doesn't always make sense either. The North Side has around 40,000 residents, yet we don't have many bank branches or ATM's at all. There is a growing nexus of affluence here, too, especially in the Lower North Side. When I need to withdraw cash from a "smart" PNC ATM (the ones that let you pick what bills you get and the ones that let you deposit cash and checks) I only have the options of PNC Park or Bellevue within reasonable proximity to me in Marshall-Shadeland. Dollar Bank requires us to do our banking Downtown.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:14 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,135,139 times
That also relates to the crime in the areas. My mother worked in banking her whole life, she actually ran a branch on the North Side. They are not there to really serve the public, they have certain requirements but the focus for most banks is business accounts so they will be located in areas with good business potential usually. Banks don't make any money off 99% of the people with accounts but business helps that.

As for the lack of ATMs also relates, bank's are not going to put their ATM somewhere its likely to be a pain to restock or be vandalized

Old 07-20-2023, 10:10 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,708,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The geographical spacing of bank branches & ATM's doesn't always make sense either. The North Side has around 40,000 residents, yet we don't have many bank branches or ATM's at all. There is a growing nexus of affluence here, too, especially in the Lower North Side. When I need to withdraw cash from a "smart" PNC ATM (the ones that let you pick what bills you get and the ones that let you deposit cash and checks) I only have the options of PNC Park or Bellevue within reasonable proximity to me in Marshall-Shadeland. Dollar Bank requires us to do our banking Downtown.
Hello - I know there is a Wesbanco close to you. I have friends who work there and they say only positive things. Never liked Dollar Bank.

Old 07-20-2023, 12:04 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,679,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
That also relates to the crime in the areas. My mother worked in banking her whole life, she actually ran a branch on the North Side. They are not there to really serve the public, they have certain requirements but the focus for most banks is business accounts so they will be located in areas with good business potential usually. Banks don't make any money off 99% of the people with accounts but business helps that.

As for the lack of ATMs also relates, bank's are not going to put their ATM somewhere its likely to be a pain to restock or be vandalized
Thanks. Makes sense. We need to hope for much more gentrification on the North Side, then, in order to lure more businesses, including banks.

Quote:
Hello - I know there is a Wesbanco close to you. I have friends who work there and they say only positive things. Never liked Dollar Bank.
Yes. I am aware of the Wesbanco on East Ohio Street. We have Dollar Bank because my husband works there, and we have PNC Bank because I find their ATM's to be the most numerous/convenient (despite only having ones at PNC Park).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh