Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 02:17 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thanks. Makes sense. We need to hope for much more gentrification on the North Side, then, in order to lure more businesses, including banks.
If I had one the lotto last night I would have started but I missed it by 6 numbers. I think that the area from Avalon down to past where you are has so much potential just a lot of pockets of homes that need to be fixed up. More pockets the closer to the city but most great homes.

Issue is renters, not saying it only the renter but landlord also doesn't care as much not living there. I'd love to see some program to purchase those homes to bring them up to the bare min of it being safe/livable then sell them back at a discount/cost to responsible buyers who will maintain for say 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
If I had one the lotto last night I would have started but I missed it by 6 numbers. I think that the area from Avalon down to past where you are has so much potential just a lot of pockets of homes that need to be fixed up. More pockets the closer to the city but most great homes.

Issue is renters, not saying it only the renter but landlord also doesn't care as much not living there. I'd love to see some program to purchase those homes to bring them up to the bare min of it being safe/livable then sell them back at a discount/cost to responsible buyers who will maintain for say 5 years.
Stupid voice text. WON

Old 07-24-2023, 07:50 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I would imagine it would be very hard to get good employees to work in a McDonalds downtown considering how bad the atmosphere is now. Downtown is becoming a hole kind of fast and with Peduto's attitude, he can stick downtown up his you know where. He really makes me want to boycott it. Lucky for me, I can. It makes me sad though because when I used to ride my bike down there it was really nice at its peak. That was probably about 4 or 5 years ago. I was so proud of Pittsburgh for cleaning everything up. Pittsburgh needs a new mayor for sure. Wow, what an idiot!
For an outsider can you explain Peduto's attitude? I genuinely don't know - what's he doing to make things worse?

Anyway, From what I've seen this is fairly common when places are starting to transition. Fast food and gas station/convenience are the first places to go. I grew up riding my bike to the old record and comic book stores that were here https://goo.gl/maps/aYNYwyc8GVfYzX6K6 - and the whole town was pretty divey in the 80s/90s. A lot of commercial vacancies, a lot of vagrancy, a few bars, a few pizza shops, an arcade and other places that high school kids would hang out. That Ocean First Bank was a McDonald's with an upstairs dining room and was a huge hangout for the kids at the Catholic high school a few blocks away.

When it closed a lot of people lamented it like the final nail in the coffin for downtown when it was really just the beginning of the turn around.

Old 07-24-2023, 11:50 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
For an outsider can you explain Peduto's attitude? I genuinely don't know - what's he doing to make things worse?

Anyway, From what I've seen this is fairly common when places are starting to transition. Fast food and gas station/convenience are the first places to go. I grew up riding my bike to the old record and comic book stores that were here https://goo.gl/maps/aYNYwyc8GVfYzX6K6 - and the whole town was pretty divey in the 80s/90s. A lot of commercial vacancies, a lot of vagrancy, a few bars, a few pizza shops, an arcade and other places that high school kids would hang out. That Ocean First Bank was a McDonald's with an upstairs dining room and was a huge hangout for the kids at the Catholic high school a few blocks away.

When it closed a lot of people lamented it like the final nail in the coffin for downtown when it was really just the beginning of the turn around.
Peduto is no longer Mayor. He at least had some vision. Our new mayor doesn’t have any skills for the job at hand. He likes to make speeches loudly that have no purpose.

Downtown will reinvent into more residential. Pittsburgh has been declining for over 50 years. The East End is good. The rest not so much.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:45 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Peduto is no longer Mayor. He at least had some vision. Our new mayor doesn’t have any skills for the job at hand. He likes to make speeches loudly that have no purpose.

Downtown will reinvent into more residential. Pittsburgh has been declining for over 50 years. The East End is good. The rest not so much.
see, some days i come to this site and feel dejected at the perception of our city.

other days, i feel rejuvenated, thinking things is nuttin like the prevailing perspectives! and on THOSE days, its because i am out and among....and usually enjoying what is around me.

i think Homewood has come a long way....Uptown as well, although I would not say they are hot spots, exactly for new residents looking to take root.

Greenfield?
Beechview?
lower North Side?

all NOT in decline. all good places where people are making their 'American dream', for lack of a better generalization.

Shadyside? tony as ever - the young, the hip, the cool....

Squirrel Hill? Havent actually BEEN on foot in that neighborhood for YEARS now. I see from the car window, though, that the corner where Polis (Murray Ave.) and the Squirrel Hill Theater were is now a colorful, beautiful development, much improved.
The old theater is now a comedy club/bar kinda place.

This is not in support of Gainey by any means (nor a detraction). Just sayin', yo, that there IS life here, either at a stable standard or improving. Its a fun city. Mean anymore, cold, sure, but the world is like that all over.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:37 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:

Got it. Yeah, I think more residential downtown is the story everywhere. It's a bummer when you get saddled with an incompetent mayor. In Philly we had 8 years of that clown John Street sandwiched in between two highly competent mayors - Rendell and Nutter.

But yeah, my brother lived in Lawrenceville for about 10 years. He moved for work right before the pandemic but otherwise I'd been visit once or twice a year for that whole time. Always loved going to visit. Planning a trip back without him

Old 07-25-2023, 07:45 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Got it. Yeah, I think more residential downtown is the story everywhere. It's a bummer when you get saddled with an incompetent mayor. In Philly we had 8 years of that clown John Street sandwiched in between two highly competent mayors - Rendell and Nutter.

But yeah, my brother lived in Lawrenceville for about 10 years. He moved for work right before the pandemic but otherwise I'd been visit once or twice a year for that whole time. Always loved going to visit. Planning a trip back without him
Pittsburgh is a fun place to visit. Being from Philly, have you found any good food options here? I think the bar is much higher in Philly than here.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:17 AM

But I bet the dollar buys more fun here. Yeah in terms of food, I really like Philly's food culture. I think for me its also more like home growing up 45 min from there in NJ.

Old 07-25-2023, 02:49 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
But I bet the dollar buys more fun here. Yeah in terms of food, I really like Philly's food culture. I think for me its also more like home growing up 45 min from there in NJ.
NJ has some great food for sure. Pittsburgh isn’t a food city imho. I don’t go out much around here. I would like some good sushi. Anyone? Oh wait this is a McDonald’s thread. Lol

Old 07-25-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
NJ has some great food for sure. Pittsburgh isn’t a food city imho. I don’t go out much around here. I would like some good sushi. Anyone? Oh wait this is a McDonald’s thread. Lol
I'm sure there is a McD's somewhere that serves sushi just pass if its here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh