Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 05:28 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
For electrical engineering / computer science (my field): If you graduate from a state school with a BSEE and have at least a 3.0 average, you should be able to snag $60k to $80k starting, in this area. If you graduate with a BSEE/CS from CMU and are near the top of your class and have done specific research, you can probably snag $120k or more, starting, on the West coast or possibly certain other areas. If you were able to co-op for 1 year of experience, you can probably up your starting salary by $10k or more.

I've personally made offers to graduates for $70k (and this was 15 years ago BTW) and got turned down. Even after they co-oped with my department. They simply had a great resume and could snag more down south and with a large engineering firm that could offer so much more advancement, responsibility, challenge. Couldn't argue with their decision, if I was in their shoes I'd probably do the same. Ahh to be young and mobile.

Thanks for the feedbaxk. this is probably above the avg college grad tho, but I think its close
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 07:25 PM

615 posts, read 394,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
But all the cool kids are doing it...
Yep. I get made fun of for living in Weirton, but schools are better, its safer and taxes are much lower here than in the city. I’m the one stockpiling cash. I did not feel good donating my money into a black hole or towards heartfelt giveaways to artificially prop up the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
excuse me.....first, they are the least friendly demo one can encounter, usually freaking out or staring with suspicion when some ancient, creepy skeletal person (in their 40s) says 'hey', 'hello', or any small conversation starter.

but the city is misunderstood. in many neighborhoods, there ARE families, you know, and people of all ages.

depends on your line of work - in some industries / businesses, you get around and actually see the people living in all these houses, when they are outside. you'd be amazed at the cross-section of people, from such varying backgrounds.

There is an elitism in this city that is snobbish. I refuse to support those folks in the city and neighborhoods where they roam. I go to the south side or I drive to Cleveland if I want the big city feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yes, and most that I know who have BMW’s or Range Rovers don’t really work while those of us who DO work can barely afford rent. Must be a lot of trust funds floating around these days.
You happen to live in a single city neighborhood that happens to be desirable to these folks. No problem though. There are 80 other neighborhoods undesirable. Pick one of them, buy a house you will be much happier.

They work they are just the elite snobs that choose how they feel and what they want over reality.

I make more money than most of them anyways. Instead of overpaying for a house in Lawrenceville I have a 200K house here and another house with a Mountain View in deep creek I paid 450k for. I don’t rent it out either I make my own payments on both homes comfortably. I just choose to not mingle with that crowd and feed the monster down there in the east end. I’d rather give my money to Weirton where your voice can be heard and people are down to earth.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:30 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Back on topic a bit. We are in an amazing economy and possibly the best time in the past 50 years to be living in the USA. That being considered, is Pittsburgh doing okay? I keep thinking it is doing great, but the bar is very low. I grew up when there were people not able to feed and cloth their families. Thank goodness for the local churches helping, but it was VERY hard times. Nothing like today, but if you go to most any city most are doing great. Other than Detroit of course, but... well it isn't run very well.

Anyway, maybe Pittsburgh is just okay, but not really enjoying this great time to be alive? If you go to any souther city we look like a slum for the most part, but do we try and compete with them, or just stick to Buffalo, Cleveland and if we want to feel good about ourselves, Detroit?

We are flatlining in the best of times. Is that okay? East Liberty sure seems to have improved, but it is not nearly as nice as in our heyday. We need more gentrification and less low income stuff in the city so people will take more notice. The low income stuff is killing us.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:42 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Thanks for the feedbaxk. this is probably above the avg college grad tho, but I think its close
The average new graduate who actually finds a job that requires their degree, is most likely hitting the workforce in the 30-50k range. Yes, cs and engineering grads make more, but they are a very small percentage of college grads hitting the workforce.

Last edited by gladhands; 10-13-2019 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-13-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The average new graduate who actually finds a job that requires their degree, is most likely hitting the workforce in the 30-50k range. Yes, CVS and engineer and grabs make more, but they are a very small percentage of college grads hitting the workforce.

You must be thinking of liberak arts majors. outside of that I think the avg is above 50k, applied sciences and law/med are higher

Old 10-15-2019, 06:06 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
The thread is starting to talk about everything but the original topic, which is job growth for the region. Please continue the discussion in a civil manner and stick to the topic

Old 10-25-2019, 05:38 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
The airport area looks to continue to add jobs. Addictive manufacturing is the future.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201910250149

Old 10-25-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
The airport area looks to continue to add jobs. Addictive manufacturing is the future.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201910250149

Honeywell is opening a new research lab in the Strip. Hiring software engineers and robotics people. The whole area around north shore/ strip is really growing with software - also Microsoft is expanding its presence. With the new SAP building and the software center in the north side, and the new Facebook and Apple presence in the Strip, the fringe of downtown is really becoming a hotbed of not just robotics but just general software as well. I think Oracle just expanded there too.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:35 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
This should boost jobs in the Meds sector of our Eds and Meds economy. https://archive.triblive.com/local/a...urgh-locations

Old 10-26-2019, 08:10 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Honeywell is opening a new research lab in the Strip. Hiring software engineers and robotics people. The whole area around north shore/ strip is really growing with software - also Microsoft is expanding its presence. With the new SAP building and the software center in the north side, and the new Facebook and Apple presence in the Strip, the fringe of downtown is really becoming a hotbed of not just robotics but just general software as well. I think Oracle just expanded there too.
Yes I did see that. It would like to see more diverse jobs in the city limits other than software based. Regardless it looks like the strip and north shore is driving the new business growth coming into the city. Downtown has definitely cooled off as a destination for business. If it weren?t for the strip and north shore, the suburbs would be the main growth area for jobs especially west near the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh