Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 07:40 PM

18 posts, read 15,885 times

Advertisements

Hi
I have the opportunity to relocate anywhere in the US
I have two kids 4th/5th grade. I would love some input on areas to look into.
Super important is a city that the kids can ride their bikes/walk around with their friends to go to things like parks, ice cream, trails etc. Places that we can take a nice walk together and go do things/have things to do within a reasonable walk.

Looking to purchase a home, single family for under 300k ish. I work from home so jobs in the area aren't an issue.
I am more on the crunchy liberal side, no religion, don't care about politics or religion to each is own and I prefer to know someone based on how they treat each other versus what their personal choice is.

A city with community is HUGELY important, welcoming to newcomers, and has decent farmers markets and other community events/family friendly activities.
I do like smaller-mid size communities but also feel it important to be within a reasonable drive to a larger city (90 ish minutes or so).

This is cross posted into a few areas I am considering.
I am totally open to hearing suggestions about local areas as well as any others you feel may fit the bill.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 08:19 PM

755 posts, read 471,953 times
In the city, the Highland Park neighborhood might be a good fit. There has been a recent influx of immigrants to that part of the city and there are active efforts to welcome newcomers. See https://Unionproject.org The park and zoo are at your doorstep. Nearby East Liberty is gentrifying with a developing shopping district alongside the more established sho]ing areas in Shadyside. HP, East Liberty, and not too distant Bloomfield all have farmer's markets. Plus this is one of the very few flat sections of the city with decent bike lanes.

Washington PA is a small town about 30 miles south of the city that might be worth a look. Things seem to be on the upswing there. Greensburg and Ligonier (smaller) to the east might fit the bill if you want to be outside the city/suburbs.

Last edited by Charley Barker; 09-25-2019 at 08:29 PM..

Old 09-25-2019, 08:27 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,850 times
The Township of Upper St. Clair Township Home Page this is not the type of neighborhood where you walk to the bar or restaurant but it has tons of parks, nature trails and activities for kids. It is close to many amenities and has a top of the line school district

Old 09-25-2019, 08:39 PM

18 posts, read 15,885 times
Thank you for your suggestions. I will go check them out.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:00 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
$300k won't get you too much in Highland Park or Upper St. Clair.

Maybe Mt. Lebanon. But I usually like Dormont. $300k will get you a lot. Keystone Oaks schools are very good. Maybe not Mt. Lebanon, but still. Dormont can be noiser and is more condensed. There's also Crafton. Anyway that's my two cents. Here's a nice home that leaves you some cash room for updates. Everything within walking distance. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-14939?view=qv

Old 09-26-2019, 10:36 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
There aren't a ton of homes for sale these days in the nicer parts of the city. I also think that 300,000 doesn't get you nearly as much as it did 5 years ago. Here property taxes will be a huge factor in the suburbs and in the city you have a higher income tax rate.

The other thing to consider is that our city isn't exactly flat. So, walking and biking may be more difficult depending on where you live. Aspinwall is very compact, with a great sense of community and awesome schools. But, 300,000 is borderline not enough these days. I also like Point Breeze. Close to parks and trails, good city school feeder pattern. Nice community feel. But, you have to walk to other neighborhoods for most things. Again, 300,000 may or may not be enough. Regent Square is nice too. But is a little confusing due to the school situation and property taxes. I like Morningside but not sure if I would want my kids biking there. Jancey and Chislett seem a little to busy. Under 300,000 sort of rules out or makes difficult a lot of the neighborhoods I like. I tried to give you neighborhoods where I would feel comfortable letting my kids roam.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:44 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I also think that 300,000 doesn't get you nearly as much as it did 5 years ago.
You're correct on that one.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:03 AM

755 posts, read 471,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
$300k won't get you too much in Highland Park or Upper St. Clair.

Maybe Mt. Lebanon. But I usually like Dormont. $300k will get you a lot. Keystone Oaks schools are very good. Maybe not Mt. Lebanon, but still. Dormont can be noiser and is more condensed. There's also Crafton. Anyway that's my two cents. Here's a nice home that leaves you some cash room for updates. Everything within walking distance. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-14939?view=qv
That's a pretty good deal. However, that part of Mt. Lebanon is pretty hilly. Actually that's pretty much true of the entire municipality except along Washington Rd, which has a very nice business district. Also, the Beverly Rd. corridor and surrounding neighborhoods are fairly level, but I am not aware of any designated bike lanes there. One nice feature of this listing is being near the Red Line of the "T" (light rail). You can board the trains with a bicycle and be on the South Side (20-25 mins.) to pick up the bike trails that intersect at Station Square and connect to all the other river side trails. In this regard the Blue Line to Library is better as it terminates at the connection to the Montour Trail so you can go inbound or outbound and hook up with a good trail system. Bethel Park is working to connect the Montour Trail spur that terminates at Irishtown Rd. with South Park via a restricted route through the industrial park, to the Community Center, then on to the park. This will be awesome once it is completed. Hope I live long enough to see it!

Old 09-26-2019, 11:16 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Burghers who know more, what about Bellevue or West View?

Old 09-26-2019, 12:28 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingmomma2019 View Post
Hi
I have the opportunity to relocate anywhere in the US
I have two kids 4th/5th grade. I would love some input on areas to look into.
Super important is a city that the kids can ride their bikes/walk around with their friends to go to things like parks, ice cream, trails etc. Places that we can take a nice walk together and go do things/have things to do within a reasonable walk.

Looking to purchase a home, single family for under 300k ish. I work from home so jobs in the area aren't an issue.
I am more on the crunchy liberal side, no religion, don't care about politics or religion to each is own and I prefer to know someone based on how they treat each other versus what their personal choice is.

A city with community is HUGELY important, welcoming to newcomers, and has decent farmers markets and other community events/family friendly activities.
I do like smaller-mid size communities but also feel it important to be within a reasonable drive to a larger city (90 ish minutes or so).

This is cross posted into a few areas I am considering.
I am totally open to hearing suggestions about local areas as well as any others you feel may fit the bill.

Thanks!

I am sort of confused as to what you want. Are you open to a small town or a suburb outside of a Pittsburgh as long as it it is less than 90 minutes? You use the word city and here the city means something specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh