Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 06:06 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I moved here from Boston, having grown up in NYC and previously lived in Chicago. Pittsburgh is a gem of a city. It’s beautiful and has great amenities for its cost of living. I will say, however, that Pittsburgh does not do suburbs very well. Unless you are coming from the most expensive markets, you won’t find our suburbs especially cheap, and most of them like charm, development and amenities. I don’t see why one would choose to live in the Pittsburgh suburbs over say, the Chicago or Atlanta suburbs.

See I disagree, I love the Pittsburgh suburbs and find them very affordable. It depends on where but we live in the Ben Avon area and you can still find a nice large home for 200-300k though many larger/fancier go for 400k+. It is a quiet area with a very little business area but most of the homes have great character, decent yards, and schools are sought after. I dont think you could find that in an suburb 15min outside the city of Chicago or NYC. There are others that might be more like Sewickley or Mt Lebo but there are also some less then Ben Avon too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 06:07 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
I moved here from Boston, having grown up in NYC and previously lived in Chicago. Pittsburgh is a gem of a city. It’s beautiful and has great amenities for its cost of living. I will say, however, that Pittsburgh does not do suburbs very well. Unless you are coming from the most expensive markets, you won’t find our suburbs especially cheap, and most of them like charm, development and amenities. I don’t see why one would choose to live in the Pittsburgh suburbs over say, the Chicago or Atlanta suburbs.
Much like every area, friends and family keep a lot of people where they live. Personally, I couldn’t be paid to live in the city, but I have friends and family that wouldn’t ever leave the city for the suburbs.

I feel extremely fortunate to be able to get away from Pittsburgh winter weather for 5-6 months/year. If it weren’t for friends and family we’d only come back to the area to visit.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Much like every area, friends and family keep a lot of people where they live. Personally, I couldn’t be paid to live in the city, but I have friends and family that wouldn’t ever leave the city for the suburbs.

I feel extremely fortunate to be able to get away from Pittsburgh winter weather for 5-6 months/year. If it weren’t for friends and family we’d only come back to the area to visit.

Many like you, we have friends that just bought a home down in FL so they can do the same. I suspect if their older son didnt have a job here they would likely move FT to FL after their younger graduated from college.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Many like you, we have friends that just bought a home down in FL so they can do the same. I suspect if their older son didnt have a job here they would likely move FT to FL after their younger graduated from college.
Bingo

The Pittsburgh area has much too little sunshine and much too long of winter weather to ever consider moving here or to a similar area like it...but since we were born here and have friends and family here, being able to be snowbirds is the best of both worlds.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:15 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
See I disagree, I love the Pittsburgh suburbs and find them very affordable. It depends on where but we live in the Ben Avon area and you can still find a nice large home for 200-300k though many larger/fancier go for 400k+. It is a quiet area with a very little business area but most of the homes have great character, decent yards, and schools are sought after. I dont think you could find that in an suburb 15min outside the city of Chicago or NYC. There are others that might be more like Sewickley or Mt Lebo but there are also some less then Ben Avon too.
While not my favorite housing stock, you can find incredibly affordable housing, with good schools and fantastic amenities, 20 miles from the Loop.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Mt-Prospec...m_content=link

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Des-Plaine...m_content=link

Once you move up to the Wexford price range, you’re looking at McMansions. Same holds true for cities like Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. Pittsburgh is a great city, but is far less competitive when comparing suburbs.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
While not my favorite housing stock, you can find incredibly affordable housing, with good schools and fantastic amenities, 20 miles from the Loop.

Once you move up to the Wexford price range, you’re looking at McMansions. Same holds true for cities like Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. Pittsburgh is a great city, but is far less competitive when comparing suburbs.
I lived in Wexford for many years. Many residents/transplants find McMansions there wildly popular, especially those with a larger yard.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:01 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
I lived in Wexford for many years. Many residents/transplants find McMansions there wildly popular, especially those with a larger yard.
I wasn’t besmirching Wexford McMansions. I’m saying that for the price of a Wexford McMansion, you can get a similar house in a suburb of a city that offers more than Pittsburgh, making Wexford a less interesting proposition.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I wasn’t besmirching Wexford McMansions. I’m saying that for the price of a Wexford McMansion, you can get a similar house in a suburb of a city that offers more than Pittsburgh, making Wexford a less interesting proposition.
It’s all a matter of opinion. I liked Wexford a lot, and had a lot of transplant neighbors that were big fans of the area. If it weren’t for Allegheny taxes, and Wexford was as/more convenient than where I live now, I’d still be there.

Last edited by erieguy; 11-06-2019 at 09:08 PM..

Old 11-06-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:

I am not talking Wexford, that is a different type of area and yes newer homes and tend to have higher prices, you can always pick more costly areas but we are talking about the cheapest yet still meeting a certain standard. I talked about Ben Avon area which is 8 miles from the city vs the homes you are showing in Chicago are over 20 miles from the city. I do not know Chicago well, could you find a community similar to Ben Avon area under 10 miles from the actual city? This just sold last month around the corner for $270k. I'd much rather have this home in this area than any of those plus being 8 miles from downtown.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3-17116#photo7

Old 11-06-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Bingo

The Pittsburgh area has much too little sunshine and much too long of winter weather to ever consider moving here or to a similar area like it...but since we were born here and have friends and family here, being able to be snowbirds is the best of both worlds.

Yeah everyone has their own preferences. For everyone that hates the weather here and would love being down south there are also those that hate the weather down south. I was one, I lived in Florida for about 11 years and wanted to move to Pittsburgh. I will take cold and gloomy over hot and humid. Either way you are likely to stay indoors but at least to me going out in the cold I can bundle up while even walking around naked in FL in August is not comfortable (which btw is frowned on I think)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh