Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 09:27 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,993,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
How easily the virus spreads

How easily a virus spreads from person-to-person can vary. Some viruses are highly contagious (spread easily), like measles, while other viruses do not spread as easily. Another factor is whether the spread is sustained, spreading continually without stopping.

The virus that causes COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in some affected geographic areas.

From: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html

It seems to spread very easily. If eschaton source says 70%, that is not good. No way do 70% of the population gets the flu. I have never even had the flu in my lifetime.
There is a very high possibility you have had the flu and never knew it because you had a mild infection and we're not tested for it.

I still say if it was as infectious as the flu, many more people would have been infected flying from China to the US.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:54 AM

233 posts, read 137,002 times
not sure how many here followed the news daily since mid of Jan when 8 doctors (whistleblower) being arrested in China for spread rumor of COVID-19, but here's few things people should know.

1. it is expansion of SARS and MERS, so it's is way more deadly than flu

2. death % does matter, for those who ignored % and think flu is more deadly, I am just speechless. China had over 88000 flu death in 2015 then stop provide any more flu info since 2015 but was never shutting down cities and making huge chaos as COVID. thinking flu > COVID.....that's beyond stupid.

3. As of Feb. 22, in the current season there were at least 32 million cases of flu in the United States, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 flu deaths, do some math and flu death % is 0.05%, not 0.5%, now with COVID 3%, that makes COVID 60 times more deadly than flu

4. there's no medicine yet to treat COVID, there's team in Taiwan recently developed one, but not yet being fully used. There was rumor Purrell had 1 success treatment, and Shanghai had news of AIDS medicine can treat COVID, but neither confirmed. There's no vaccine, and vaccine won't be ready any time soon, just like SARS, vaccine was never complete in time.

5. Incubation period is 14 days or more, Japan had 1 case that incubation period lasted 28 days, however, still contagious, especially with people walking around without mask and don't have the symptom for 14+ days, flu incubation period is 2 days.

6. virus can last between 2-9 days on non-living surface such as metal, wood, plastic...etc you can kill it with 70+% alcohol or 1% bleach in water.

7. wash hand

8. it's more deadly to elder and people with chronic disease

9. due to high medical cost and ignorant of many citizens, I doubt USA can do better than other country, it's just matter of time.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:04 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,702,142 times
Boutique virus is over. Go back to work people.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chao View Post
not sure how many here followed the news daily since mid of Jan when 8 doctors (whistleblower) being arrested in China for spread rumor of COVID-19, but here's few things people should know.

2. death % does matter, for those who ignored % and think flu is more deadly, I am just speechless. China had over 88000 flu death in 2015 then stop provide any more flu info since 2015 but was never shutting down cities and making huge chaos as COVID. thinking flu > COVID.....that's beyond stupid.

3. As of Feb. 22, in the current season there were at least 32 million cases of flu in the United States, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 flu deaths, do some math and flu death % is 0.05%, not 0.5%, now with COVID 3%, that makes COVID 60 times more deadly than flu

4. there's no medicine yet to treat COVID, there's team in Taiwan recently developed one, but not yet being fully used. There was rumor Purrell had 1 success treatment, and Shanghai had news of AIDS medicine can treat COVID, but neither confirmed. There's no vaccine, and vaccine won't be ready any time soon, just like SARS, vaccine was never complete in time.

5. Incubation period is 14 days or more, Japan had 1 case that incubation period lasted 28 days, however, still contagious, especially with people walking around without mask and don't have the symptom for 14+ days, flu incubation period is 2 days.

6. virus can last between 2-9 days on non-living surface such as metal, wood, plastic...etc you can kill it with 70+% alcohol or 1% bleach in water.

7. wash hand

9. due to high medical cost and ignorant of many citizens, I doubt USA can do better than other country, it's just matter of time.
Did you read the article I posted? It is very likely the death rate is being greatly overstated because we don't know how many people were never diagnosed. The denominator is higher probably much higher which makes the percentage lower. It will probably end up being similar to the flu.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/5/2116597...rate-explained

Old 03-09-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:

7. wash hand

There are many treatments and vaccines being developed including at treatment used in Washington where the patient rapidly improved.

You are the first person I have seen suggest the virus lasts on surfaces for days or over a week. Everything I see is hours.

My glass is half full.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:50 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,935 times
Just shut down this misinformation thread please.

Quote:

1. it is expansion of SARS and MERS, so it's is way more deadly than flu. Define way more and based on what? There is not enough data to clearly speak to this. Look at Italy 7400 cases and 366 deaths, S Korea 7400 cases and 53 deaths. The reporting is very inaccurate to get a death rate at this point.

2. death % does matter, for those who ignored % and think flu is more deadly, I am just speechless. China had over 88000 flu death in 2015 then stop provide any more flu info since 2015 but was never shutting down cities and making huge chaos as COVID. thinking flu > COVID.....that's beyond stupid. Yes % matters, you obviously do not understand statistics. There is not enough data yet, many many mild cases are not being tracked.

3. As of Feb. 22, in the current season there were at least 32 million cases of flu in the United States, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 flu deaths, do some math and flu death % is 0.05%, not 0.5%, now with COVID 3%, that makes COVID 60 times more deadly than flu. Stop, just stop.

4. there's no medicine yet to treat COVID, there's team in Taiwan recently developed one, but not yet being fully used. There was rumor Purrell had 1 success treatment, and Shanghai had news of AIDS medicine can treat COVID, but neither confirmed. There's no vaccine, and vaccine won't be ready any time soon, just like SARS, vaccine was never complete in time. Read a little, unless you are very young or old or have a compromised immune system this is not a deadly disease.

7. wash hand

Old 03-09-2020, 10:51 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,902,171 times
Quote:

I dont know.. regarding China, let's not forget that before this kicked off they were getting absolutely hounded in the international press about protests in Hong Kong, about human rights abuses in Xinjiang (including the concentration camps for Uighars), and about the potential for Chinese espionage if Huawei were allowed to develop 5G networks in Western countries, and about the massive 'social credit' surveillance state that they're building that would make the Stasi green with envy...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/20...yet-2019-12-17

And now? Crickets - no criticism of China or Xi Jinping over any of those issues.
And we're reminded how reliant we are on China for manufacturing of medical and pharmaceutical products.

This is all too a little convenient for China internationally, and for the left-wing American media domestically.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:55 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
I'm honestly not interested in debating this in great detail. If the virus has the same sort of growth curve we've seen in Italy - and if warmer weather doesn't slow things down - we'll be where they currently are or much worse within less than two weeks. Cases within Allegheny County should have arrived by then as well.

Let's wait and see, but in the mean time wash your hands folks! Certainly can't hurt.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm honestly not interested in debating this in great detail. If the virus has the same sort of growth curve we've seen in Italy - and if warmer weather doesn't slow things down - we'll be where they currently are or much worse within less than two weeks. Cases within Allegheny County should have arrived by then as well.

Let's wait and see, but in the mean time wash your hands folks! Certainly can't hurt.
The growth curve in the US is already much flatter than in Italy.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:20 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
The growth curve in the US is already much flatter than in Italy.
This country is doing a pretty horrible job of testing so far still too. Many people are not getting through to their health department and the CDC to get tested for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh