Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 09:30 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

You had that amazing wedding planned at Heinz Chapel for a long time now and are excited for it? Not going to happen until after May.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...-until-may-31/

Old 03-12-2020, 09:48 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Seems to me the response in Pittsburgh has been handled very well. I was at the Giggle today and didn't notice any empty shelves or panic buying, plenty of PT available. Cancelling the parade was a good idea, they learned that the hard in Philly back in 1918. Personally, I'm in the high risk age group, but no existing medical problems. Stopped shaking hands, limit my exposure to crowds, and will pass on my weekly cigar bar visits for the foreseeable future. My wife's annual ski trip to Colorado was cancelled, damn, there goes my bachelor week. One of my friends on that trip was told by his employer that if he went he would not be allowed back into the office for 2 weeks upon his return, self quarantine. Biggest hit will be those living paycheck to paycheck. Hope this passes fast.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:21 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
I think everyone is going overboard on this virus. All this overreaction for nothing. That said I think it will have a tremendous lasting impact on the economy. If the panic drags on. I’ve lost thousands in this stock market collapse. For that I am mad.

Although it is entertaining to see Erieguy squirrelly on here trying to defend President chaos and downplay the virus .

I see fellow millennials, the brainless ones, calling this virus “the boomer remover”. Yo, who will be left to pay for all the freebies you want? It won’t be this upper middle class millennial.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:23 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Seems to me the response in Pittsburgh has been handled very well. I was at the Giggle today and didn't notice any empty shelves or panic buying, plenty of PT available.
You must have gone at a different time than I did. I stopped after work, like I often do, to pick up a few things, and it was chaos. I stood in line for 20 minutes. And this was the Parkway Center GE, which is NEVER crowded.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:51 AM

684 posts, read 419,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I think everyone is going overboard on this virus. All this overreaction for nothing.
You're an idiot.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:05 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You must have gone at a different time than I did. I stopped after work, like I often do, to pick up a few things, and it was chaos. I stood in line for 20 minutes. And this was the Parkway Center GE, which is NEVER crowded.

I stopped at the Centre Avenue Giant Eagle, which is usually buzzing anyway on weeknights. I might be wrong, but typically, Friday evenings/nights are the busiest. On Thursday, though, there was practically NO milk or orange juice left.

I disagree with the "over-reaction" argument, though. There is "reacting"...and then there is over-reacting. People are doing the former. They've gotten the warnings. EVERYONE filling their needs at one time makes it SEEM like it is chaos.

Well, the parking lot antics at the Shadyside Market District are sometimes just that - chaos, but still.

It is hard to fathom, though, the cancellation of sports - the March Madness, etc. All of this is unprecedented, but then again, in 1918* they didn't have the network of pro sports, schools, etc. as we do today. We are very, very lucky in so many ways.

*worldwide flu that killed scores of millions.

The stock market and economy are getting worrisome, though.

Last edited by szug-bot; 03-13-2020 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: reference to 1918

Old 03-13-2020, 06:32 AM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
You're an idiot.
It's pretty amazing though. They are wrong on every subject they try to speak to. Impressive.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:39 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I stopped in the Marshall-Shadeland Kuhn's yesterday on my walk home from the office because I was really craving eating a rotisserie chicken like a viking for dinner. The store was very busy. I bought the last chicken they had. Colleagues this morning who also shopped yesterday described similar experiences at other stores in other city neighborhoods.

I guess this will end up being a bust for restaurants, conventions, etc. but a boon for grocery stores, on-demand video purchases, and restaurant delivery services.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:06 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
You're an idiot.
I swear to God in a different thread he was saying that we needed to take this extremely seriously and that 9,000 people in the city could pass away.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:08 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Seems to me the response in Pittsburgh has been handled very well. I was at the Giggle today and didn't notice any empty shelves or panic buying, plenty of PT available. Cancelling the parade was a good idea, they learned that the hard in Philly back in 1918. Personally, I'm in the high risk age group, but no existing medical problems. Stopped shaking hands, limit my exposure to crowds, and will pass on my weekly cigar bar visits for the foreseeable future. My wife's annual ski trip to Colorado was cancelled, damn, there goes my bachelor week. One of my friends on that trip was told by his employer that if he went he would not be allowed back into the office for 2 weeks upon his return, self quarantine. Biggest hit will be those living paycheck to paycheck. Hope this passes fast.
I agree, I'm glad the city and state is doing what they can even without confirmed community transmission instead of waiting for it to happen like they did in Europe. With any luck, the response of states, local areas, and the business world to limit crowds early will help us a lot.

As an aside, went to work and too the bus like normally today, and it's definitely less busy than normal Downtown today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies