Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 10:29 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Of 5,500 beds in the UPMC hospital system, only 2% are occupied by COVID-19 patients, as are 8% percent of intensive care beds, according to Yealy, who also said UPMC has strong supplies of protective equipment such as masks, shields and gowns.

Goodness, we aren't even taping into anything around here. Seems we are listening well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 10:38 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I am voting for Biden.

I've just been waiting for his supporters to get me "excited" for him. I was VERY excited to be voting twice for Obama. I was SO excited by Sanders that I donated money to his campaign and slapped a "Feel the Bern" bumper magnet on my vehicle.
Voting for a Biden or a Obama are one in the same. They aren't going to do much really. Just a figure head. At least Obama was a good speaker, but he did nothing. Trump is a go getter that does get things done. I am amazed by how much he goes after in only 4 years. Like him or not, he does go after a lot of things. Biden will do nothing for his 4 years until someone else runs against him, or he hands over to someone in his party.

Haven't decided on who I vote for yet. Not a fan of either of them, but if I want to kick the can down the road, I guess Biden. We know he will just be a puppet to the big companies. Who isn't these days.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:49 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
I am voting for Biden.

I've just been waiting for his supporters to get me "excited" for him. I was VERY excited to be voting twice for Obama. I was SO excited by Sanders that I donated money to his campaign and slapped a "Feel the Bern" bumper magnet on my vehicle.

Biden? I don't get that same sort of excitement or enthusiasm. I hope it finds its way to me soon because I'd LIKE to phone bank for him or donate to his campaign for a reason besides "he's not Trump".
Fair enough, sorry if I took your reply the wrong way. I know this is getting off topic, but I think candidate excitement is a little overrated as a metric. If it was the be-all end-all, Beto would be a senator for Texas, Andrew Gillum would be the governor of Florida, and Bernie would be the nominee.

I see Bernie a little different than you, he honestly didn't excite me at all. I think he's good if you want to rally people to an issue, but actually getting it done as president would be a completely different story. I think this year has shown a lot of the rural and working-class white people who voted for Bernie last time in the primary simply did it because they did not like Hillary. Plus, the average voter is still a late baby boomer or older and I don't think Bernie's comments about Castro and the USSR would have done him any favors amongst that Trump. Trump was openly hoping to have Bernie as the nominee for a reason (and was so desperate to dig up dirt on Biden to get impeached for a reason too), and I'm sure his team had clip after clip of his praising of communist countries ready to flood the airwaves

Old 04-23-2020, 11:25 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Voting for a Biden or a Obama are one in the same. They aren't going to do much really. Just a figure head. At least Obama was a good speaker, but he did nothing. Trump is a go getter that does get things done. I am amazed by how much he goes after in only 4 years. Like him or not, he does go after a lot of things. Biden will do nothing for his 4 years until someone else runs against him, or he hands over to someone in his party.

Haven't decided on who I vote for yet. Not a fan of either of them, but if I want to kick the can down the road, I guess Biden. We know he will just be a puppet to the big companies. Who isn't these days.
I think that's a fair assessment. Many people either fall into the tea-party "every thing Obama did was wrong" category, or the resistance "everything Trump does is wrong" category. It's hard to discuss things with those people because they can't usually see clearly or think rationally.

I would add to your post that there are major world-wide structural changes that are taking place right now and C19 will only accelerate things. The retreat of globalization, the containment of China, the return of manufacturing to Nafta countries, the withdrawal of the US as the worlds policemen. Not sure who gets us to the next phase in better shape... The status quo guy or the disrupter. But I do know that the next president will have a lot of opportunity to build a beautiful or terrifying future depending on their decisions.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:14 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
There were 61 new cases today in Allegheny County. Yes, that's a lot but there were 734 test results released, so in terms of the positive percentage, it's in line with what the average is for us.
Not to upstage you, Brad....
April 23...cases reported from last 14 days, starting with most distant:

29, 48, 21, 19, 15, 11, 21, 22, 62, 26, 7, 17, 29, 61

Old 04-23-2020, 01:27 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

Just think, around 85% of these cases go undetected.

What we really need is an antibody test.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I am voting for Biden.

Biden? I don't get that same sort of excitement or enthusiasm. I hope it finds its way to me soon because I'd LIKE to phone bank for him or donate to his campaign for a reason besides "he's not Trump".
why then not Joe, but for Bernie and Barack, you were gung ho? Makes no sense - Joe and Obama are basically are the same. Are you caught up in rhetoric, and cult of personality, or do you try to look for someone who can give you results, fix crap, set the economy in the right direction....? Bernie would do NONE of those things, by the way.

i am neither sold on donald or joe at this point.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Oh no, thank you for sharing this too. The 14 day average will be very important to follow him the future, as the state guideline for reopening to the next stage is 50 cases per 100k, which would be about 600 cases over that timespan, or 42 a day.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
why then not Joe, but for Bernie and Barack, you were gung ho? Makes no sense - Joe and Obama are basically are the same. Are you caught up in rhetoric, and cult of personality, or do you try to look for someone who can give you results, fix crap, set the economy in the right direction....? Bernie would do NONE of those things, by the way.

i am neither sold on donald or joe at this point.
Let's not forget that for a Democratic president to be able to get much done, you'd need a Democratic House and Senate, and given the map of Senate seats up this year, I think voters in NC and Arizona would be more likely to give a Democratic Senate a try under a President Biden over Bernie.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Let's not forget that for a Democratic president to be able to get much done, you'd need a Democratic House and Senate, and given the map of Senate seats up this year, I think voters in NC and Arizona would be more likely to give a Democratic Senate a try under a President Biden over Bernie.
it would be nice if what you said is untrue - that people care THAT much about a legacy of success that they actually DO cooperate, compromise, or sleep with Nancy (who said dat!)....rather than the polarization that is automatic, crazy, counterproductive, and damaging to the psyche of concerned citizens.

RIP maybe the last great one - John McCain (cue the boo birds for something he said or done like 40 years ago), who I believe, and I am not a die hard politico, was a good politician. fair, not batsh* insane like most americans are anymore, got his point across, and was willing to move forward if it meant give credit to the dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh