Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 08:01 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
i think the north hills is great for a large percentage of non-obnoxious people sharing the same public space.

If you'd been with me in Wexford yesterday you'd think different, but that story would be off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 04:40 AM

10 posts, read 8,879 times
Thanks for all the replies. We looked at ~10 properties one day starting in Beaver and worked our way south before finding this house that we like. Didn’t find the quality we were hoping for plus taxes are on the high side there IMO.

I’ve been told by some friends in the area that there is never really a reason to venture to the “bad” parts of Aliquippa and they would not have concerns about our location (near the Ironwood Golf Center). When I look on a map it seems like we are close to actual downtown Aliquippa but again I do not know the area well. I have no concerns about the neighborhood we are in as it is filled with BIG expensive houses. I just wasn’t sure how much “buffer” we have?

I figure most of our shopping needs will be met up in Monaca or down in Robinson both of which are short easy drives. One thing that scares me is looking up a new place to go shop or eat, loading up the family and ending up driving through or going to somewhere in the wrong part of town. If one got off 376 onto Mill Street (which turns into Kennedy), how far down that direction before it would be best to avoid?

We also aren't exactly in downtown Aliquippa and I can't imagine everywhere in the county that has an Aliquippa mailing address is terrible as some are suggesting. But I may be wrong. The 15001 zip code covers a huge area.

Last edited by mad4268; 06-05-2020 at 05:06 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 05:10 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4268 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. We looked at ~10 properties one day starting in Beaver and worked our way south before finding this house that we like. Didn’t find the quality we were hoping for plus taxes are on the high side there IMO.

I’ve been told by some friends in the area that there is never really a reason to venture to the “bad” parts of Aliquippa and they would not have concerns about our location (near the Ironwood Golf Center). When I look on a map it seems like we are close to actual downtown Aliquippa but again I do not know the area well. I have no concerns about the neighborhood we are in as it is filled with BIG expensive houses. I just wasn’t sure how much “buffer” we have?

I figure most of our shopping needs will be met up in Monaca or down in Robinson both of which are short easy drives. One thing that scares me is looking up a new place to go shop or eat, loading up the family and ending up driving through or going to somewhere in the wrong part of town. If one got off 376 onto Mill Street (which turns into Kennedy), how far down that direction before it would be best to avoid?

We also aren't exactly in downtown Aliquippa and I can't imagine everywhere in the county that has an Aliquippa mailing address is terrible as some are suggesting. But I may be wrong. The 15001 zip code covers a huge area.

PS as a newer member to this forum (and a member of handful other ones) you guys sure like to pick fights with one another…
well, lets look at your post:

I’ve been told by some friends...they would not have concerns about our location...I have no concerns about the neighborhood we are in as it is filled with BIG expensive houses. I just wasn’t sure how much “buffer” we have?

...One thing that scares me is looking up a new place to go shop or eat, loading up the family and ending up driving through or going to somewhere in the wrong part of town. If one got off 376 onto Mill Street (which turns into Kennedy), how far down that direction before it would be best to avoid?....

Understandably, you are concerned for your own personal safety and feelings of comfort in where you will live. That is very understandable, and I hope if you get that house, you enjoy it.
In more words or less, I referred to having a buffer good enough from problem activity, that your daily life is more comfortable. I gave a quick (albeit not well composed) comparison to another area in an attempt to offer insight.

There is no fight here - your post is acceptable, but mine, which was to make a comparison with another area with a major shopping hub, was taken in a different context.

No fight picking here - this is just how we roll! The PC gestapo makes its rounds at times, then is sent away.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:07 AM

645 posts, read 1,540,118 times
Mad, here are some videos about Aliquippa you might enjoy, find helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftDzik15M-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEAMjGyVtnw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8m6asPHbKc

FWIW, I have enjoyed great meals at Bert's Wooden Angel/Wooden Indian in Beaver for 45+ years, and might be a place you and yours would enjoy as well:

Bert's Wooden Indian Restaurant | Family Friendly Fare

Wooden Angel

Great bakery in Beaver too:

https://kbakery.com/

And a place I love, filling a huge portion of my younger years is Bradys Run Park:

Brady's Run Park

Lastly, I would much rather live in many areas in the Aliquippa zip code, over say New Castle/Sharon which in my experience, shares a similar stigma... Something about the vibe of the area is a real turn-off, a vibe I find throughout much of NW PA.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:25 AM

10 posts, read 8,879 times
The videos are great! Thank you.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:10 AM

645 posts, read 1,540,118 times
Welcome Mad, and welcome to the area.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
One thing that scares me is looking up a new place to go shop or eat, loading up the family and ending up driving through or going to somewhere in the wrong part of town. If one got off 376 onto Mill Street (which turns into Kennedy), how far down that direction before it would be best to avoid?
My elderly mother in law lives in a mixed race neighborhood in Aliquippa, and she's not afraid to walk five blocks to the grocery store.

I drive through the heart of downtown Aliquippa, usually on my way to work, multiple times in any given week, and I've never had a bad experience.

My wife and I take our vehicles to a repair garage, in the heart of downtown Aliquippa. Often, it's most convenient to drop them off in the evening, after business hours. They have a key drop, and we park on the street, drop the keys, and go home. The vehicles sit overnight on the street. Sometimes, when the work's been completed, my wife will go down during the day and collect the keys, and we'll go down in the evening and retrieve the vehicle. We've never experienced a problem, either personal or with a vehicle. (And that's not to say that I'd want to walk to or from there at night, but I probably could.)

As far as the videos posted--Wow! I had no idea anybody had gone to the trouble of making them. Thanks, Jay_F for posting them. I saw places I've never seen, because I've never had any reason to go there, and most likely never will. Which is just as well. But I also saw my pharmacy, and the places where I do my banking, get my hair cut, get my fast food, get my auto parts, buy gas, etc. Had it not been for this discussion, it never would have occurred to me to think, Oh, no! I'm doing this in Aliquippa!

If you like that house, don't let the Aliquippa's reputation worry you. It'll never be a factor in your life unless you choose to make it one.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
My elderly mother in law lives in a mixed race neighborhood in Aliquippa, and she's not afraid to walk five blocks to the grocery store.

I drive through the heart of downtown Aliquippa, usually on my way to work, multiple times in any given week, and I've never had a bad experience.

My wife and I take our vehicles to a repair garage, in the heart of downtown Aliquippa. Often, it's most convenient to drop them off in the evening, after business hours. They have a key drop, and we park on the street, drop the keys, and go home. The vehicles sit overnight on the street. Sometimes, when the work's been completed, my wife will go down during the day and collect the keys, and we'll go down in the evening and retrieve the vehicle. We've never experienced a problem, either personal or with a vehicle. (And that's not to say that I'd want to walk to or from there at night, but I probably could.)

As far as the videos posted--Wow! I had no idea anybody had gone to the trouble of making them. Thanks, Jay_F for posting them. I saw places I've never seen, because I've never had any reason to go there, and most likely never will. Which is just as well. But I also saw my pharmacy, and the places where I do my banking, get my hair cut, get my fast food, get my auto parts, buy gas, etc. Had it not been for this discussion, it never would have occurred to me to think, Oh, no! I'm doing this in Aliquippa!

If you like that house, don't let the Aliquippa's reputation worry you. It'll never be a factor in your life unless you choose to make it one.

it sounds very convenient. why not live there, with all that possibly withing walking distance?

Old 06-05-2020, 07:43 PM

I grew up in the city, in the east end. Later I lived in another area of similar density. I think anybody who prioritizes 'convenient walking distance' is really just secretly afraid of losing their parking space.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I grew up in the city, in the east end. Later I lived in another area of similar density. I think anybody who prioritizes 'convenient walking distance' is really just secretly afraid of losing their parking space.

or, they like being part of the fabric, enjoy 'using' a town or city beyond driving through it, and likes to take in the sights, too, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh