Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 09:50 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The Pittsburgh Business Times has an interesting article up - behind a paywall. The main point noted is that a 161-unit residential development on Centre (the one I believe which will be next door to Coda on Centre), along with the 200-unit expansion of Baumhaus is still going through, meaning another 361 units in the Baum-Centre corridor soon.

The article also notes a recent study by a Portland-based think tank (City Observatory) identified Pittsburgh as one of the key areas where youth migration into the city was accelerating. And even though the data was all pre-COVID, online apartment searches in the city are actually up - and the major leasing agencies have not reported a drop in interest over the last 3.5 months.

Basically, there's no sign people are leaving Pittsburgh as of yet.

I could see this being true. If true I think because Pgh is considered a moderate place, not somewhere like a Deblasio controlled NYC where I think apartment renewals are down by a massive amount already. I was predicting earlier Pgh might actually benefit from the general city chaos if it does it right. It has all the stuff in place for it to be a nice place to move for people wanting to get out of the more chaotic places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 12:00 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
What I find interseting is where are all the people going out of NYC going to go? you know its going to happen, it has to. De Blasio is a freaking moron and all the cops hate him, he hates them. nobody wants to live in a place where there are no police protections, and businesses are going to be jetting out even faster than residents. Pgh could get quite a few of them in the near future , like it or not.

I doubt they'll be going to Philly. or Boston. defintely not Baltimore.
They'll do what they've been doing for years, moving to Florida, North Carolina, Texas/New Mexico etc.

NYC really is an unliveable ****hole, and not even for the reasons you've citied. Unless you're filthy rich, of course.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:02 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
They'll do what they've been doing for years, moving to Florida, North Carolina, Texas/New Mexico etc.

NYC really is an unliveable ****hole, and not even for the reasons you've citied. Unless you're filthy rich, of course.
Can’t blame them for that.

I love NYC, but certainly wouldn’t want to live there.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:03 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I think this may lead to a rise in retrofitting more EXISTING suburban areas to be more “live, work, play”-friendly.

For example you can look at McCandless Crossing. You can live in a townhome there and walk to Cinemark, Trader Joe’s, Lowe’s, IHOP (ick), Dick’s (heh), Milk Shake Factory (yum), etc. I love living in an urban area because of the convenience of not necessarily requiring a car to do everything. My particular neighborhood is a bit sparse, but I can still walk to some things, which is great.

If I were to consider a suburban area it would NEED to be something like a McCandless Crossing. I foresee more of the North Hills (including Cranberry Township and Adams Township) offering more of those mixed-zoned neighborhoods in the coming years. I wish they could just blow up the entire intersection of 228 & 19 in Cranberry, bulldoze the adjacent properties, convert the intersection into a big roundabout, and put a little mixed-use “town center” in the center of the roundabout to give Cranberry Township a “Downtown”.
I'd love to live near McCandless Crossing. But between Burgatory and Milkshake factory, I'd be 1000 pounds and broke within a few weeks.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:07 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
And Gigi’s Cupcakes

Old 06-24-2020, 08:11 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times
Interesting. Apparently the only people finding Pittsburgh desirable are immigrants. Apparently the Trump visa restriction is the death stab to the region.

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...mpression=true

Old 06-25-2020, 04:25 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Well, medical professionals are exempt from the new immigration restrictions. So they'll still continue coming here for UPMC.
By putting a slight damper on the tech industry, perhaps this will help slow down the intense gentrification that occurred in this city over the last several years.
Its hilariously ironic and hypocritical to me that our local liberal leadership is more interested in importing highly-paid foreigners to displace local residents than they are in helping to keep the existing locals here.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:16 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Well, medical professionals are exempt from the new immigration restrictions. So they'll still continue coming here for UPMC.
By putting a slight damper on the tech industry, perhaps this will help slow down the intense gentrification that occurred in this city over the last several years.
Its hilariously ironic and hypocritical to me that our local liberal leadership is more interested in importing highly-paid foreigners to displace local residents than they are in helping to keep the existing locals here.
the 'intense gentrification' is not city-wide, exactly.

EVERY city is interested in keeping its population. What more can they do within reason? If they WERE successful in developing the old Arena site - well, that would just spike housing and create another wave of complaints about pricing out, etc.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:54 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
A lot of people don’t want to peel the layers of the onion back to get to the root of the problem.

I don’t have a problem with immigration. And I get the BLM movement. I just think it is directed at the wrong people. There are a handful of bad police officers most are good, but they are blaming a middle class working person for failure to cure the ills of society. Now we want money taken away from police and given to mental health and other things. But let’s look at the big picture.

Before the pandemic the Allegheny Conference projected nearly 80,000 jobs open and a local population that is not trained nor ready to take those jobs. They pointed responsibility at local schools and businesses, but missing one key ingredient. The cash cows that are CMU and the local tech startups. The liberal bastions that if used properly could save this city and result in great economic growth for all.

Andrew Carnegie may have been a bastard, but he had the right idea when he founded Carnegie Tech (now CMU). The schools mission was to provide high quality education to the working folks of the Pittsburgh area. It’s fair to say we are far off from that mission statement in 2020.

When the oil and gas industry first arrived here in the late 2000s and early 2010s they gave money to schools so their curriculum can be geared towards preparing students in that industry. They gave money and funding to schools in the tri state area nearby the cracker plant and drilling operations. They aren’t looking at immigration to solve issues. They Believe in the local population and school children here.

So why does the tech industry and an institution like CMU or Pitt not see it that way? Remember why CMU was originally founded. They have all the money and capital to help. They don’t have to go very far to find a young population they could train right in their own backyard. (Home wood, wilkinsburg or the poor mon river towns). They don’t need to rely just on immigration. Thousands of young people here waiting to be tapped. They only have to drive 1.5 miles to get there. Not worry about them flying to China or India. Pittsburgh public can use the help. It is in a sad state of affairs. Especially with this Hamlet guy. Black lives don’t matter to these local liberal institutions that could help correct endless poverty and hopelessness while training folks to start business that are already here. Why is it only children from India, China and Asian countries making up most of the student body? Does CMU not believe in the local white or black students?

Duo lingo is worth 1 billion dollars with 300 employees. Can’t they help out as well? It looks like a racist company to me. Against white and black Pittsburghers

This is where I think the local colleges have failed this region. They haven’t been the economic juggernaut they could or should be.

Everybody wants to bow down and sing the praise of CMU and Pitt, while less then two miles away there is a neglected hopeless youth killing each other. And Pitt, CMU did not show up yesterday either. They have been here a while.

In Pittsburgh the BLM movement needs to be redirected towards those institutions away from police. Education is the way out, according to Frederick Douglass. It certainly seems these liberal institutions aren’t doing their share. They are silent and have been. I guess they are ok with it.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:27 AM

684 posts, read 419,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Duo lingo is worth 1 billion dollars with 300 employees. Can’t they help out as well? It looks like a racist company to me. Against white and black Pittsburghers

Um...what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh