Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 04:19 PM

755 posts, read 472,554 times

Advertisements

Looks like South Side Works is moving in the right direction with this. Also nice to see an aggresive construction schedule, spring 2021: https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...-and-dog-park/

I talked with the manager of Sur La Table before they closed and she said that the previous owners did little to enhance the area while continually raising rents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 04:40 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Looks like South Side Works is moving in the right direction with this. Also nice to see an aggresive construction schedule, spring 2021: https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...-and-dog-park/

I talked with the manager of Sur La Table before they closed and she said that the previous owners did little to enhance the area while continually raising rents.
was just about to post that article. I have high hopes that the new owners/developers get it right this time. There is so much potential to make the Southside an amazing place to live.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:40 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
This looks like an interesting building. Hope it can be high end in that area and East Liberty can get back to its roots as a wealthier community.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...OB5L4PEAR3QEI/

Old 10-06-2020, 12:08 PM

1,170 posts, read 536,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This looks like an interesting building. Hope it can be high end in that area and East Liberty can get back to its roots as a wealthier community.

who remembers the post "An Alarming Number of Businesses Are Leaving East Liberty" from years ago (it's still on the forum) - well guess what - that post was way ahead of its time - the crown jewel of the "revitalization" ACE HOTEL is in deep financial trouble and the odds of it ever reopening are very slim - the restaurant scene is on life support - there's no need to live near the busway since no one works downtown anymore - these RE developers are simply going thru the motions because they have to develop something or else they're not developers anymore, and money is basically free because rates are so low - they can build it but there's no reason for anyone to live there - same goes for the proposed shakespeare development

Old 10-06-2020, 12:25 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:

That project has been in the works for a long, long time. Here's the latest plan.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:13 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That project has been in the works for a long, long time. Here's the latest plan.
Geez, I really am tired of the same old crappy buildings we seem to be getting stuck with. That doesn't look very good in a lot of ways. I certainly hope it is at least expensive. East Liberty needs to be a high end community. That is what is used to be prior to this little blip of run down mess due to the steel industry going belly up. I wish it could be restored more to a grand style than that thing. Ah well, it is what it is. Gone are the days of great architecture I guess. Just not feasible. Looks Russian projects in style.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:48 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Geez, I really am tired of the same old crappy buildings we seem to be getting stuck with. That doesn't look very good in a lot of ways. I certainly hope it is at least expensive. East Liberty needs to be a high end community. That is what is used to be prior to this little blip of run down mess due to the steel industry going belly up. I wish it could be restored more to a grand style than that thing. Ah well, it is what it is. Gone are the days of great architecture I guess. Just not feasible. Looks Russian projects in style.
Agree. Blech. Nothing special. But that's what East Liberty has become over the years. Just my taste. Others love it obviously. I'm more in line with what was done with Armstrong Cork Factory.

Last edited by svband76; 10-06-2020 at 04:30 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 04:04 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Agree. Blech, ugly. Nothing special. But that's what East Liberty has become over the years.
It used to really be beautiful before the steel bust. Then of course it went totally down hill crime and a mess, but it is coming back sort of. We really need more higher end places and less low income places to get it going more. The taxpayers already built enough low income places in Larimar and they are nice and new for now until they start... well you know the drill.

I wish it could be nicer. Ah well. Anyone try Brew Dog? They literally opened in the beginning of the pandemic. Wow, talk about a tough start!!! I looked at the menu and it seemed pretty expensive for bar type food, but it is good, maybe worth it. I want to try their beer.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:36 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Interesting. So this plan obviously is fully planned yet WPXI decided to report about it now and of course I noticed they found a few black people to interview about it complaining that it needs to be affordable. Guess I need to really be on my game more.

Anyway, Lawrenceville to East Liberty is going to all connect. That is pretty obvious regardless of COVID. COVID isn't stopping progress. Wonder how long it will take for the new Whole Foods to be built? That dump of an area needs that in a big way. Also, what will replace the old Whole Foods? Eschaton? You usually know.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:19 AM

1,170 posts, read 536,333 times
Quote:
Interesting. So this plan obviously is fully planned yet WPXI decided to report about it now and of course I noticed they found a few black people to interview about it complaining that it needs to be affordable. Guess I need to really be on my game more.

Anyway, Lawrenceville to East Liberty is going to all connect. That is pretty obvious regardless of COVID. COVID isn't stopping progress. Wonder how long it will take for the new Whole Foods to be built? That dump of an area needs that in a big way. Also, what will replace the old Whole Foods? Eschaton? You usually know.
whole foods is making a HUGE MISTAKE moving to penn plaza - the current store on centre is basically perfect

before amazon took over the company and ruined it, i could walk from my crib down highland, hang a left at eastside, hit the liquor store, the pet store, the PNC bank (no starbucks for me) and then the whole foods which used to have a great olive bar that amazon wrecked

in architectural terms, that's called a sequence or a procession, like walking down the center aisle (nave) of a church from the entrance to the altar

what really makes the store on centre special is the way the outdoor parking functions as a quasi-public square - it's well defined, has lots of trees, there used to be outdoor seating before the rona, there was always a good chance of seeing someone you know...

the store they're building on euclid has no outdoor parking so that whole public square experience is gone - indoor parking is basically creepy IMO - as a pedestrian who "lives in the village, wherever i go i walk to" (beastie boys) - there's no reason now for me to walk to that part of east liberty (unless i want mcdonalds french fries), and since they wrecked the olive bar which i loved i'm not going to make a special trip up euclid past the aamco transmission garage and the vacant pediatricians office and dopey houses and the COMPLETELY EMPTY storefronts (no windows or anything) on the the ground level of east liberty south

and if you study the plans and renderings, the outdoor seating they're providing at the entrance (penn and a rebuilt st. clair street) looks out to the other half of the site which is a huge vacant lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh