Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:05 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,000 times

Advertisements

The other thing that really contributed to the Hill's decline was the explosion of hard drug use that began to get out of hand in the late 50's. The Hill became a center of drug sales, and the many addicts turned to crime to support their habits, making the Hill a dangerous place. The riots in 1968 after ML King was killed, destroyed the 3 commercial strips (Centre, Wylie and Herron), transforming the Hill from a poor, but livable area, to a rapidly deteriorating slum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:27 PM

29 posts, read 90,022 times
For what it's worth, I was in the area for church on Sunday and there are a few townhome/condo developments that are going up. I'm not sure where Bedford Avenue ranks in relationship to the areas mentioned above (i'm new to the area), but from what I gather it's near or in the hill district. maybe things are going to turn around for that area....slowly but surely.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,000 times
Bedford Ave. is certainly the Hill. Most Hill residents also consider Uptown, and Soho to be part of the Hill as well.

One thing to correct Drover. The Detroit riots didn't occur in April of 1968. They occurred in July of 1967. There were several major riots prior to April of 1968.
New York in 1964.
LA (Watts) in 1965
Cleveland in 1966
Detroit, Newark, and Cincinnati in 1967.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:14 AM

374 posts, read 1,285,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvpitt View Post
For what it's worth, I was in the area for church on Sunday and there are a few townhome/condo developments that are going up. I'm not sure where Bedford Avenue ranks in relationship to the areas mentioned above (i'm new to the area), but from what I gather it's near or in the hill district. maybe things are going to turn around for that area....slowly but surely.
Yes, Bedford Ave. is the Hill District. I used to live on Bedford ( Bedford Dwellings) Between both Chauncys. The knew houses they are building I guess you would consider that the lower Hill.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 AM

85 posts, read 286,823 times
Yeah, you know, I always wanted to live in the kind of place where people get killed for a good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It is not, I have lived there for over 20+ years. Take note, very rarely does innocent by standers get killed on the Hill. It is a fact as of this posting not one person from the hill in the last 10 years has been killed for no reason

Old 08-06-2008, 07:09 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
I think he means that it's not random shootings, but people that know each other and that live a particular lifestyle.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:25 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Let me correct myself, people who are not involved in negative behavior are not the ones getting killed. Innocent people are not being murdered

Old 07-01-2009, 09:12 PM

9 posts, read 24,384 times
I love the history of this neighborhood, the beautiful (though rundown) rowhouses and mansard roofs. I hope that the recent development and restorations continue--work has begun to restore the New Granada Theatre, which is much needed and very exciting!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:02 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,951 times
The Hill District may just have the richest history in Pittsburgh but without money it's rebirth is not going to come anytime soon. An infusion of money to the infrastructure is needed before anyone is going to put money in to thier homes. Way over due, except for some newer development, it's possible it could come when the Civic Arena is razed and redeveloped. The land belongs to the neighborhoods there and they should have first dibs at it's purpose and future develoment/usage. Some of it MUST be residential.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:48 AM

371 posts, read 799,028 times
The Hill District was once a well-to-do neighborhood populated by people who worked in downtown businesses.The development of Pittsburgh's trolley system and the influx of settlers following the Civil War when many soldiers decided to settle in the cities rather than return to the farms changed the character of many city neighborhoods, including the Hill. These were followed, successively, by European Jews, Italians, Greeks, Syrians, Poles and, finally, African Americans.There were many factors which contributed to the Hill's decline, including the loss of the inclines which connected the Hill to the Strip District but, as noted before, the most significant was the two Renaissance efforts which forced the relocation of people from what is now the Point to the Hill and then construction of the Civic Arena which cut the neighborhood off from the city.It really is a beautiful neighborhood which deserves to be preserved and, hopefully, it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh