Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 01:39 PM

47 posts, read 91,279 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in the mid-west (Dakotas). Thanks to COVID, I plan to work remotely full-time next year, which gives me the freedom to move away from my current city and state. It surprises me that Pittsburgh has many amazing suburb areas, such as South Park, Bethel Park, etc. I am wanting to buy a house in one of the Pittsburgh suburbs but know very little about them despite my online research. I would prefer to live in a nice area with little crime, affordable housing and lower real-estate and income tax.

I am not sure about the job opportunities outside of Pittsburgh in those suburbs. In case I need to return to work physically in the future, am I most likely commute to Pittsburgh for work? How good or bad of the traffic from the suburbs to Pittsburgh?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 01:55 PM

146 posts, read 133,711 times
South Park is a good choice. It's actually a pretty underrated suburb in my opinion. It has low crime, affordable homes, the small school district isn't amazing, but not terrible either, and T access to downtown.

The problem with South Park is that traveling Rt. 88 sucks bad and if you work anywhere other than downtown the commute can be terrible.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:59 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
adenlee, i think you can't go wrong in looking around North Park*. Except for total car dependency, modern living probably doesn't get much better than that. That area, collectively referred to as the North Hills, has nice shopping areas, two excellent school systems, etc.

There are areas of slow moving traffic, but i've lived in larger cities - this is kid's play. In some areas, for example north of McKnight Road/Peebles Road, the density is low enough that its pretty much free flow, easy driving at all times.

We have N. Hillians in this forum who likely can add to, correct, or edit my words.

*please don't be confused - there are actual county parks, North Park and South Park. But there is a South Park Township as well, but there is no North Park Township, in case you did not know.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:31 PM

99 posts, read 110,150 times
Having lived in Pittsburgh for a decade now across 4 different areas, I would recommend the South Hills. Look at Mt Lebo, Bethel Park, Dormont, or South Park.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:31 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
If you are looking for lower taxes look at Cecil township. It is in washington county but on the border of Allegheny county. If you want to be in Allegheny county collier township is another good choice for low taxes. Both areas have a more rural feel while being close to amenities.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:41 AM

70 posts, read 31,099 times
Can you tell us more about what's important to you?

Walkability to basic services?
Easy access to downtown for cultural and sporting events?
Regarding the potential commute to downtown: Are you willing to use public transportation?
How important is an actual "real" suburb vs. a city neighborhoods that "feel" like suburbia? (Brighton Heights or Observatory Hill fit this mold in my experience.)

Old 11-23-2020, 11:01 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Pittsburgh does have so many great suburbs.

I prefer the South Hills (Bethel Park, Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Claire) over the North Hills, because you have direct access to the T (Pittburgh's mass transit high speed light rail). If that is important to you, then that is something to consider.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:33 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
It's hard to beat Mount Lebanon. Taxes are on the high side but you get good value for it. A+ school district and a police force that really works hard. Beautiful unique homes. Walkabilty and the public transportation. Dormont is good second choice, Keystone Oaks is a good school district however the council is often a joke.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:33 PM

882 posts, read 335,353 times
Oakmont is very nice. Good school district, great walkable central business district, one of the best bakeries in the city, and convenient to the turnpike, 28 into town, and lots of back ways to get into town through the east end.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:40 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,684,713 times
Beaver Borough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh