Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 03:17 PM

1,170 posts, read 535,924 times

Advertisements

this is where the local news cycle has the potential to turn straight-up tragic in the next few months

for example, my favorite watering hole in shadyside (which also happens to be the mayor's favorite) has managed to make it through the summer by adding extra tables outside (thank goodness for the great weather we had), and by signing up with delivery services

the owner explained to me a few weeks ago the increase to 50% capacity didn't help him any because his dining area is so small that with the six-foot rule in place he really couldn't legally have more than like 12-15 customers in his place at a time

all the old guaranteed money-makers, karaoke night, trivia night, football and hockey games don't work anymore because of the you-must-buy-food-when-consuming-alcohol rule and the you-can't-sit-at-the-bar rule and the three drink maximum rule and the capacity rule

and with outdoor dining about to be eliminated by cold weather (unless the place has its own patio with a tent and heaters), i just don't see how most small local restaurants and cafes are going to make it through the winter, and i'm not even talking about places that only served drinks which are really in a bad way

i'm not gonna get emotionally worked up if a big restaurant group owned by someone i've never met has to close, but if a small cafe or restaurant owned by someone i consider a friend has to close - that's gonna be tough to take, for me, for the neighborhood and for the owner's family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 03:23 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Unless restrictions are lifted, many won’t survive, and they’ll simply be replaced by something else when restrictions are lifted.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:40 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,675 times
Yes, it is a shame for the current people who will not survive but my hope is they get replaces by something better. I think those businesses that have been well run for some time (IE making profit which is set aside) will make it through but those newer startups just won't be able to.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:20 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
My guess is many of the great Mom & Pop places won't survive during the winter if the shutdown continues. I will continue to frequent as many as I can along with getting takeout, but for sure some won't make it. Sad to see.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:29 PM

The longer the shutdown continues, it will make way for more chains/big business to move in when others are forced to move out.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:34 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
I dined indoors one of fav places, Mintt this past weekend. But their takeout is booming. Other non-takeout type places are hurting bad, mostly those which depend on alcohol sales.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:17 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Shame we have such lousy leadership. Peduto is too busy worrying about the Columbus statue and hair styles to be bothered with helping solve real issues. Them you have dictator wolf running our area like it is philly. PA is toast with who we have.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:17 AM

you know that line in the new testament "live by the sword, die by the sword" (matthew 26:52)

the modern version should be - play by the rules, die by the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
they’ll simply be replaced by something else when restrictions are lifted.
who in their right mind would ever borrow money to start a business and get all the necessary permits and inspections, knowing in the back of their mind the state could reinstate the existing restrictions or create new restrictions and shut it down at any time - that's why businesses that are forced to close will not be replaced

Old 10-13-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
you know that line in the new testament "live by the sword, die by the sword" (matthew 26:52)

the modern version should be - play by the rules, die by the rules

who in their right mind would ever borrow money to start a business and get all the necessary permits and inspections, knowing in the back of their mind the state could reinstate the existing restrictions or create new restrictions and shut it down at any time - that's why businesses that are forced to close will not be replaced
You obviously missed the part “when restrictions are lifted”....but chains and big businesses that will likely replace many of the failed establishments don’t have to borrow money.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You obviously missed the part “when restrictions are lifted”....but chains and big businesses that will likely replace many of the failed establishments don’t have to borrow money.
so "when restrictions are lifted" that's an absolute guarantee they won't be reinstated? if it happened once, it can happen again

and it's preposterous to believe a national chain is gonna have any interest in a tiny neighborhood cafe or restaurant with no parking and no drive-thru
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh