Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 04:00 PM

807 posts, read 617,842 times

Advertisements

Unscientific to be sure, but what does reddit/italy think of when they hear, "the Mussolini treatment."

https://www.reddit.com/r/italy/comme...ini_treatment/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 04:05 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Unscientific to be sure, but what does reddit/italy think of when they hear, "the Mussolini treatment."

https://www.reddit.com/r/italy/comme...ini_treatment/
LMAO at that link. History is obviously hard for some, and some obviously think the worst, rather than doing some research to better understand.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:59 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,902,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Don’t recall anyone saying they’re anti-vax, just simply being wary of a vaccine that has already shown to have serious side effects.
Bingo. I never claimed to be anti-vax in general - what I am against is anyone being coerced into taking this vaccine that has not yet had the opportunity to be fully scientifically tested over time in regards to both its efficacy and long-term safety.

Quote:
I don't agree with where PGH goes with his posts, although I still think Ty is way out of line with, at least, the dictator references -- whether or not he is sincere or being coy with the Mussolini references. I don't have the time or expertise to dig into the vaccine issue, although he certainly highlighted the refusenik issue for me. That said, we are seeking to get my 79 year-old mother vaccinated asap (not sure if he was just wildly speculating, but her cardiologist indicated that she might be able to get it by late January or early February), and I will certainly be vaccinated when it becomes available to me.
I very, very much doubt that it will happen by late January or early February..
"What’s clear, she [Rachel Levine] said , is that it will likely be months before any vaccine is available to the general public". https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...l-months-away/

Quote:
Definitely a serious issue for me (and I've argued to the mods that Ty should be given a time out). Further, Ty referenced the possibility that someone could take a shot at the Governor if he would try to mandate that folks get vaccinated; however, he seems to not want to acknowledge that irresponsibly throwing around terms like dictator, king, Nazi, could also inspire unstable folks and put the Governor at risk.
The words of an inconsequential poster on a niche, left-wing-leaning message board could put the Governor at risk because I could be the inspiration for violence against him? Come now, be serious.
As a result of the Governor's chosen mitigation efforts, how many people are now unemployed? Facing bankruptcy? Facing the loss of their home? How many have lost their businesses that were their life's work?
With all of the human suffering that has been unleashed by one man's decisions, do you truly believe that me referring to him as a monarch or tyrant or dictator could be the straw that breaks the camel's back and pushes someone to violence? I think not - I think that Tom Wolf himself has done quite an effective job of inducing people to hate him.

Let me ask you something - do you celebrate the Fourth of July?
I'm quite surprised if you do as its quite hard for me to imagine you being anything other than a Tory during the American Revolution. You criticize me for disparaging an elected Governor as a tyrant. During the Revolution, how could you have dared tolerate any criticism of His Majesty George III? George III was a king by divine right after all.

We do not have a monarchy in this country. If you prefer to live in a government in which privileges are granted to the citizens by the Crown, then Canada is quite a lovely land that is literally just up the road. I personally prefer to live in a country in which ultimate power comes from the people, and in which we the people have inalienable rights including the right to participate in our own governance through our elected representatives to the legislature.

Here's an extremely worrying tidbit from the Trib article that I referenced previously in this post.
Quote:
Levine said there is no particular case count or benchmark the state is eyeing in regard to lifting further mitigation measures.
“We certainly don’t have a specific metric,” she said, noting that a surge in cases could be coming after weeks of holiday travel.
https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...l-months-away/
Do you understand what that means? After 10 months, we still dont have a goal that we're working towards as to when we will allow life to return to normal. This state of emergency, under which millions of people are subject to having their freedoms suspended by the whims of one man, is utterly open-ended and undefined.

It's frustrating to me that you're so hyper-focused on the words that I use to criticize the Governor that you dont stop to consider if there may be any merit behind those words.
Ponder my question about the Fourth of July.. if you do celebrate the day and agree with the ideals upon which our country was founded, perhaps you should be a wee bit more critical of the Governor's actions than on the inconsequential words of a stranger on an internet messaging board. If you don't see anything wrong with the current state of affairs of how we are being governed and by the limitless power held by one man (and which has been unable to be stopped, even after a majority of the legislature voted to do so) over millions of lives, I really do think you should stop to ask yourself if you should continue to celebrate Independence Day.

Last edited by tyovan4; 01-04-2021 at 07:08 PM..

Old 01-04-2021, 07:05 PM

I should have added the caveat, please limit your response to no more than 2 sentences.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I should have added the caveat, please limit your response to no more than 2 sentences.
With mandates like that, are you hoping to succeed Wolf and be the next Governor of Pennsylvania?

Old 01-04-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
With mandates like that, are you hoping to succeed Wolf and be the next Governor of Pennsylvania?
Nice! Sorry, no time for much response (and to your credit, your pretty good at this fomenting revolution thing), but couldn't you still raise a super majority in the Pa legislature to overrule Wolf and Co.?

Old 01-04-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Nice! Sorry, no time for much response (and to your credit, your pretty good at this fomenting revolution thing), but couldn't you still raise a super majority in the Pa legislature to overrule Wolf and Co.?
I don't think that any members of the General Assembly are up for re-election in 2021. After that, it's going to be a gubernatorial election year anyway in 2022.

The only hope is the constitutional amendment.

I've visited Trotsky's house in Mexico City - he was pretty good, but hopefully I'll be better off in the long-term than he was. Just please stay away from me with any ice picks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh