Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 02:12 PM

755 posts, read 472,738 times

Advertisements

Why is the Pittsburgh thread almost singularly obsessed with socio-political discussion?

Looking just now at the most recent posts by state/region (https://www.city-data.com/forum/#u-s-forums) and we are definitely missing out on some less contentious, more fun/interesting discussions.

For example, in Hawaii, the most recent forum topic post is "Starting an Organic Farm". Or, from Louisiana, "who has the best onion rings" in Baton Rouge? I sure hope things lighten-up around here post-election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 02:43 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Are those areas as locked down and as barren as Pittsburgh these days? Have business
shutdowns, people fearing to leave the house, scared to patronize restaurants, etc..., as apparent in those areas as the Pittsburgh area? Weather also plays a huge factor in Hawaii, Louisiana, Baton Rouge, compared to the Pittsburgh area.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Are those areas as locked down and as barren as Pittsburgh these days? Have business
shutdowns, people fearing to leave the house, scared to patronize restaurants, etc..., as apparent in those areas as the Pittsburgh area? Weather also plays a huge factor in Hawaii, Louisiana, Baton Rouge, compared to the Pittsburgh area.
I just used those examples since I thought they were kind of funny. When I checked the list at the time of my post, there was only one other state that had a COVID, political, or social bent. It didn't seem to have anything to do with regional seasonal affective disorder. ;-)

Old 11-11-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
I just used those examples since I thought they were kind of funny. When I checked the list at the time of my post, there was only one other state that had a COVID, political, or social bent. It didn't seem to have anything to do with regional seasonal affective disorder. ;-)
Sounds like those folks are living life.

I’m sure it doesn’t have anything to do with seasonal affective disorder, however, the weather dictates a lot of outdoor options, especially outdoor seating at establishments....and when Wolf soon locks things down even more, there will be less options in the Pittsburgh area.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:42 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,338 times
Why is the Pittsburgh thread almost singularly obsessed with socio-political discussion?

BOREDOM!

Except for the one or two handful of Pittsburgh thread posters that are still here, everyone else moved on to greener pastures where there are more things to talk about than politics.

Other area forums have more active posters, so in turn, more topics to talk about in general.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:27 PM

I don't think we can use this forum (or any single forum) to make a broad generalization about the zeitgeist of the city. I mean there are new places opening all the time and folks are living their lives, if cautiously. https://nextpittsburgh.com/latest-ne...in-pittsburgh/

Rode the mountain bike trails at Hollow Oak preserve, part of Montour Woods, yesterday. Just gorgeous. Met very friendly and engaging folks along the way, conversing at a reasonable distance. Had a great beer and food experience at Spoonwood brewing last night.

I guess the answer to my question is it's just the mood of the active posters (not reflective of the mood of the city in my experience) at any given time.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
I don't think we can use this forum (or any single forum) to make a broad generalization about the zeitgeist of the city. I mean there are new places opening all the time and folks are living their lives, if cautiously. https://nextpittsburgh.com/latest-ne...in-pittsburgh/

Rode the mountain bike trails at Hollow Oak preserve, part of Montour Woods, yesterday. Just gorgeous. Met very friendly and engaging folks along the way, conversing at a reasonable distance. Had a great beer and food experience at Spoonwood brewing last night.

I guess the answer to my question is it's just the mood of the active posters (not reflective of the mood of the city in my experience) at any given time.
How long will yesterday’s weather last?

Do you think Wolf isn’t going to shut down as much as he can, very soon?

Old 11-11-2020, 05:54 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Lots of new people are starting threads that are repeated over and over. It is what it is. States that are red leaning are much better forums. Get used to the new leftist norm.

Thankfully I provide balance.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:02 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Lots of new people are starting threads that are repeated over and over. It is what it is. States that are red leaning are much better forums. Get used to the new leftist norm.

Thankfully I provide balance.
I just fell out of my chair after I spit coke on my computer screen.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
How long will yesterday’s weather last?

Do you think Wolf isn’t going to shut down as much as he can, very soon?
Don't know. But I ride almost all winter. Or hike. Like the Scots say: no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. Believe me, I lived in upstate NY for 15 years This is cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh