Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 05:20 PM

807 posts, read 617,512 times

Advertisements

Here's a take on Florida's response from back in July:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...se-to-covid-19

Interestingly, the columnist accuses DeSantis of treating people like children.

From some other reporting, looks like Florida has had a hard time sharing data with the public.

Is humanity stuck between two paternalistic paradigms: shutting everything down so we don't get too hurt; or lying to us so we don't get too scared?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 05:36 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Here's a take on Florida's response from back in July:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...se-to-covid-19

Interestingly, the columnist accuses DeSantis of treating people like children.

From some other reporting, looks like Florida has had a hard time sharing data with the public.

Is humanity stuck between two paternalistic paradigms: shutting everything down so we don't get too hurt; or lying to us so we don't get too scared?
I love DeSantis, although I can see how he might hurt some feelings.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...r100klast7days

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...es-july-1.html

Anyone that’s scared should simply stay home.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:04 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I love DeSantis, although I can see how he might hurt some feelings.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...r100klast7days

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...es-july-1.html

Anyone that’s scared should simply stay home.
I also love DeSantis as he treats his citizens like adults. I am not a fan of being treated like a child. Wolf is horrible and so is Peduto. I like freedoms and like to think adults shouldn't be ruled like these democrats do. Can't stand them! Oh, I never voted for a republican president ever. I voted Obama and Hillary. I voted for the idiot Wolf.

I see where we are headed. No thanks.

Love Desantis. Oh, did I say that twice. Seems PA is going horrible and locking down again. Florida? All is great. Bands playing, people dinning people living, less depression and just joy during a pandemic. They are lucky. We aren't.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:59 AM

610 posts, read 746,459 times
I just moved home from N. Carolina. I was following Wolf's antics down there before we moved. Jeez - he's tight on restrictions. And as many say - it hurts the working class and small businesses hard. Rich folks like Wolf have no financial issues (and evidently he doesn't practice what he preaches as he got infected).

Someone asked why people keep voting for the same idiots? Tradition and stupidity (and greed). "Free stuff" is never free, it is paid for by someone.

Cooper in N.C. was also a Democrat, but his restrictions were reasonable.

COVID won't be tamed until it runs through most of us, or we have an effective vaccine. Nothing else will stop it. I hope and pray that the vaccine(s) are effective and am watching with great interest.

Hopefully by next Christmas, we can toss away the masks, eat out, and see the Phipps show (*personal sad* my sister had got us tickets to it for the holidays and kiss that fun goodbye.)

I hate COVID.

Old 12-13-2020, 06:14 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
COVID won't be tamed until it runs through most of us, or we have an effective vaccine. Nothing else will stop it. I hope and pray that the vaccine(s) are effective and am watching with great interest.

Hopefully by next Christmas, we can toss away the masks, eat out, and see the Phipps show (*personal sad* my sister had got us tickets to it for the holidays and kiss that fun goodbye.)

I hate COVID.
You're right. Anyone else remember the spring? 'Flattening the curve' meant that we were going to slow down when people got infected - but at the end of the day the same amount of people were still expected to get infected. Then somehow the liberals and the Dictatorship of the Epidemiologists moved the goalposts so that the goal became that none of us would get sick.

Regarding Phipps - I saw the way the wind was blowing and went to the show back in November. To be very honest, it was an underwhelming and somewhat disappointing Christmas show. Not one of their better ones at all... they did the best they could under the circumstances.. but still.. don't feel like you missed out on too terribly much.

I have the media - they're the antichrist who manipulate people and instill fear to draw peoples attention. I hate the overreaching reactions from politicians. I hate the manipulation and the pain induced by self-serving people and institutions far more than I hate COVID itself. The cure has become worse than the disease.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:36 AM

807 posts, read 617,512 times
Nazis and dictators and antichrists, oh my!

Old 12-13-2020, 09:52 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
You're right. Anyone else remember the spring? 'Flattening the curve' meant that we were going to slow down when people got infected - but at the end of the day the same amount of people were still expected to get infected. Then somehow the liberals and the Dictatorship of the Epidemiologists moved the goalposts so that the goal became that none of us would get sick.

Regarding Phipps - I saw the way the wind was blowing and went to the show back in November. To be very honest, it was an underwhelming and somewhat disappointing Christmas show. Not one of their better ones at all... they did the best they could under the circumstances.. but still.. don't feel like you missed out on too terribly much.

I have the media - they're the antichrist who manipulate people and instill fear to draw peoples attention. I hate the overreaching reactions from politicians. I hate the manipulation and the pain induced by self-serving people and institutions far more than I hate COVID itself. The cure has become worse than the disease.
Some states are doing it so differently. Loved Florida and Georgia' coastal areas. They are still living well enough and nothing is closing due to COVID. Most restaurants were doing fine. They also aren't spiking like we are up here in closed down Wolf country. Maybe staying open is the better option and closing everyone in isn't. Seems to not be working at all. Wolf is clueless and just too rich to get reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh