Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2021, 11:38 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,194,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Here you go... you may not care because you sound older and you may not be here to see it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wts...e-f965532718d8

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs...he-next-decade
Lol, I’ll be around...and all that says is that there will be a larger number of combined minorities than white folks...and there’s certainly nothing wrong with that. Assuming many would have a problem with that simply shows the paranoia some have about white folks, which of course, is prejudiced, which many have towards police offers, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 11:44 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
Quote:
Here you go... you may not care because you sound older and you may not be here to see it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wts...e-f965532718d8

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs...he-next-decade

so, what is your point? do you gloat? that is OK, right, because that form of racism is OK towards caucasians.

indy, i dont agree with your viewpoints, but you seem better than to be a fool, like so many americans are anymore. what happened to "post-racial" america? Not that it would have been a perfect situation, but at least one where we can see other people as PEOPLE - we all eat, sh*, hate work, love our kids, etc.
the basics are opportunity based on merit, access to opportunity based on need, personal safety, and living within the law. very easy. skin color not a pre-requisite. again, its not a perfect nation, but we have moved so far towards the ideals i've stated.

its OK to be prideful of your ethnicity, but it just seems w/ many black people, its not just pride IN, its pride AGAINST. your citing these stats sort of are an example of it.

and, those numbers may not hold up - as people become more affluent, they have less kids, you know. its not like blacks and hispanics will outnumber others - its more that the lower economic classes propogate more.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
so, what is your point? do you gloat? that is OK, right, because that form of racism is OK towards caucasians.

indy, i dont agree with your viewpoints, but you seem better than to be a fool, like so many americans are anymore. what happened to "post-racial" america? Not that it would have been a perfect situation, but at least one where we can see other people as PEOPLE - we all eat, sh*, hate work, love our kids, etc.
the basics are opportunity based on merit, access to opportunity based on need, personal safety, and living within the law. very easy. skin color not a pre-requisite. again, its not a perfect nation, but we have moved so far towards the ideals i've stated.

its OK to be prideful of your ethnicity, but it just seems w/ many black people, its not just pride IN, its pride AGAINST. your citing these stats sort of are an example of it.

and, those numbers may not hold up - as people become more affluent, they have less kids, you know. its not like blacks and hispanics will outnumber others - its more that the lower economic classes propogate more.
Because it’s easier to blame others for ones shortcomings than it is to take responsibility for ones actions/decisions. Many still blame today’s folks for 130+ years ago, and unfortunately, those same folks pass it on down the line.

Bingo

And in regards to the numbers holding up, it’s good clickbait.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Because it’s easier to blame others for ones shortcomings than it is to take responsibility for ones actions/decisions. Many still blame today’s folks for 130+ years ago, and unfortunately, those same folks pass it on down the line.

Bingo

And in regards to the numbers holding up, it’s good clickbait.

and what is so wrong with "indians". misnomer, yes, but the word itself referring to the inhabitants here has changed in meaning to mean....the inhabitants already here. how that is some racist thing is just ridiculousness...as if alcoholism on the reservations isnt more of a problem, but can't have whitey use the word "Indian".

and the cleveland baseball team - an HONOR to the indigenous people.

i mean, there SHOULD be a WIlkes - Barre Szug-bots. I'd be honoured!

Old 02-24-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
and what is so wrong with "indians". misnomer, yes, but the word itself referring to the inhabitants here has changed in meaning to mean....the inhabitants already here. how that is some racist thing is just ridiculousness...as if alcoholism on the reservations isnt more of a problem, but can't have whitey use the word "Indian".

and the cleveland baseball team - an HONOR to the indigenous people.

i mean, there SHOULD be a WIlkes - Barre Szug-bots. I'd be honoured!
Because the country has become hyper sensitive in conjunction with blaming everyone else for their self induced problems. Instead of once being happy to be honored and or “livin life”, they try to benefit off of anything and everything they can. Interesting how easily hurt feelings can be exchanged for free stuff, because muh reparations.

Last edited by erieguy; 02-24-2021 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-24-2021, 02:39 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:

I’m not gloating. The country is changing and many people have a problem with it. As I said it’s gonna be a struggle for the foreseeable future with older generations used to things a certain way. And please this country was built on slavery and exploitation of people. In the 1960s schools were still segregated. You all act like those things were a million years ago when it is pretty recent history, less than a lifetime ago.

Regardless I love this country. I believe in meeting in the middle and conservative values mixed with some liberal ideals. I just see a party that has become the mouthpiece of white grievance and bitterness that the country is changing and many folks don’t like it.

And AOC and the squad is likely the future of this country whether you and erieguy like it or not.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I’m not gloating. The country is changing and many people have a problem with it. As I said it’s gonna be a struggle for the foreseeable future with older generations used to things a certain way. And please this country was built on slavery and exploitation of people. In the 1960s schools were still segregated. You all act like those things were a million years ago when it is pretty recent history, less than a lifetime ago.

Regardless I love this country. I believe in meeting in the middle and conservative values mixed with some liberal ideals. I just see a party that has become the mouthpiece of white grievance and bitterness that the country is changing and many folks don’t like it.

And AOC and the squad is likely the future of this country whether you and erieguy like it or not.
It’s far longer than a lifetime ago.

Can’t stop laughing at “white grievance”. The “mouthpiece” that is BLM, Antifa, Dems, and libs have the most grievances.

The current and AOC regime has all but no affect on me. I made my money. I do hope AOC and the squad is the future. That would be more entertaining than the current regime that’s going to give away record amounts of money away while you were complaining about because Trump giving away $2000. It’s obvious that none of them paid attention in history or economics classes.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:

we'll have to disagree, but you make good points.

Look, the world has ALWAYS changed. when the roman empire was threatened, they told their settlers in far off Brittania to take care and have a good day. imagine that - all you've known, all that has provided for you, now GONE. that would be like no unemployment insurance is to come anymore, no police, no pothole repair. Electrical pole hit by lightning? it will stay that way, charred and disfunctional.

people adapt. you make it sound as if older people are bitter, fearful, they hate anything that came after 1995. you might have an old, antiquated archetype in mind, that is not "the rule", but definitely exists.

thats like an older person saying - all young people are into rap, vote blue, work at fast food, and are into x-box, and are dumb. (but they are addicted to instant gratification, probably.)

AOC - nope. she's temporary. you watch. she is just incapable.

This country was not "built on slavery". Yes, the US became an 1800s agricultural power, i guess, and slavery helped that when labor costs were zero (minus living expenses), but what's happened since the 1860s? Continued to be an agricultural powerhouse, because of science, better production, etc.

And, the WORLD has thrived on exploitations. Mine workers in scotland. Diamond miners in South Africa. Steelworkers in pre-union times, Pennsylvania, etc.

I never claim to be a genius. but i'm starting to think you aren't that knowledgeable, actually. you disguise your recycled talking points. its all the same bunk you find across the internet from miserable people who just like to wallow in negativity.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ryan View Post
Very true and school integration is what started the "religious" right movement because - gasp - public schools were integrating, but also segregation factories.

It's unfortunate that many still maintain such hatred, not just in the 60s, but even today. What started as this movement quickly became the catalyst for the GOP's Southern Strategy to exploit white "grievance" of "those people" taking "our stuff" merely by "those people" attempting to fairly assimilate in society.

It’s a shame many still live in the past and blame those in the present for it, especially everyone on the right. It’s as ridiculous as it is prejudiced.

It’s a shame there’s such hatred because generations ago, and a sense of entitlement because of it.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:54 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It’s a shame many still live in the past and blame those in the present for it, especially everyone on the right. It’s as ridiculous as it is prejudiced.

It’s a shame there’s such hatred because generations ago, and a sense of entitlement because of it.
Nobody is talking about entitlement. We are discussing the fact there is a lot of people that have issues with the fact this country is changing. The people who are butthurt are MAGA folks, deplorables that stormed the capital and others that channel grievance into politics.

I never said I agree with AOC either. I’m merely stating she is the future and is gonna be in politics a long time. Others are going to follow her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh