Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 01:48 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,902,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The legislation, introduced by Councilwoman Erika Strassburger on Monday, would ban plastic bags in most instances. Rather than using the standard plastic grocery bags, shoppers would need to bring their own reusable bags or, if they don’t have one, retailers would instead have to offer a recyclable paper bag for a fee of at least 15 cents, according to the proposed legislation.

https://triblive.com/local/proposal-...in-most-cases/
Pittsburgh City Council - always tackling the important issues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 04:31 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,702,142 times
I am all for eliminating plastic bags, but what business does the city have by making retailers charge customers at least 15c a bag? I'd be all against that. More government intrusion. This would certainly have an effect on profits. Jeesh, let the businesses decide how to handle the situation.

Old 11-22-2021, 04:35 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
I’m all for it as places like Walmart and Giant Eagle put like two things in a plastic bag and go onto the next bag, so you have a ton of bags. Bring it on.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:12 AM

15 posts, read 8,774 times
Agreed! Employees just aren't taught to bag groceries anymore. Such waste.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:16 AM

716 posts, read 766,306 times
I have two conflicting thoughts on this:

1) They aren't really single use to me; I reuse all of them to scoop my cat litter.

2) Living in Lawrenceville, it's amazing how much plastic (amongst other litter) congregates in the gutters and along the sidewalk. Spending a lot of time down by the Allegheny, I see a ton of plastic bags that eventually end up in the sewer system that eventually end up in the rivers or along their banks.

If people could take some personal responsibility to not litter and/or to pick up litter and plastic that end up in front of their properties, maybe such a ban would be unnecessary. But Pittsburgh is riddled with such litter and I can't see that changing anytime soon. So may as well make the litter more biodegradable I guess.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:46 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
what business does the city have by making retailers charge customers at least 15c a bag?

I am surprised that the city council decided that. Grocery Stores in Philadelphia seem to have settled on 10 cents a bag.

Target and Walmart gave away as many cheap reusable canvas bags as you wanted in the lead up to the ban. Basically just everywhere carries the reusable bags now for a dollar or two.

The ban is a good thing and it's hilarious the state legislation tried to ban the bans for 'economic' reasons aka a plastic bag factory in Juniata County. Someone must have whispered in their ears and told them that was a third world move because Harrisburg has dropped efforts to stop any ban.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
I have two conflicting thoughts on this:

1) They aren't really single use to me; I reuse all of them to scoop my cat litter.

2) Living in Lawrenceville, it's amazing how much plastic (amongst other litter) congregates in the gutters and along the sidewalk. Spending a lot of time down by the Allegheny, I see a ton of plastic bags that eventually end up in the sewer system that eventually end up in the rivers or along their banks.

If people could take some personal responsibility to not litter and/or to pick up litter and plastic that end up in front of their properties, maybe such a ban would be unnecessary. But Pittsburgh is riddled with such litter and I can't see that changing anytime soon. So may as well make the litter more biodegradable I guess.
"If people could take some personal responsibility". I almost spilled my coffee laughing so hard. Thanks. The bar of humanity is getting lower and lower as we cater to the lowest common denominator of human life instead of striving for greatness.

I think the ban would be good. It would hit the areas of poverty the most as they are filled with debris and might clean it up a little over like 5 years or so and that would be a benefit to them in the long run.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:53 PM

755 posts, read 473,017 times
In spring I look forward to the leaves breaking bud and renewing my hope for the world; in fall I dread the blue and white and grey bags that hang all winter on the branches until the leaves emerge again. It's a bad look for the city, and, sadly, pretty much pervasive everywhere they are still used across the US.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:27 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
they might not have put enough thought into it.

like another here, i use mine again and again. often, its to carry a fresh shirt and socks (in the summer, for instance).

ultimately, i use them for the garbage i generate. think about it - take these away, then what do i use for my weekly garbage? me and thousands of others who are single household people who do not need large size, Hefty type bags just because we are socially conscious people who minimize waste?

heres the answer - a Hefty bag! 10x more poly-whatevers in that product.

cant go to paper - that is sloppy, messy, encourages vermin after being put out to the street for pickup...

rather than legislation, how about education?

Old 11-23-2021, 06:38 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
I routinely pick up litter in my neighborhood. Within days it looks like defecation again, and plastic bags comprise a lot of this litter. If Pittsburghers weren't such pigs I would have no issues with plastic bags. Since so many end up in our storm drains and rivers and curb lines, though, I am in approval of this ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh