Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 09:17 AM

468 posts, read 124,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
russia took control of the donbas in FOUR MONTHS

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...aine-maps.html

now they're straightening out their supply lines as they prepare to continue demilitarizing US/NATO armed ukraine

the ukrainian army can't stop them - time to send in NATO troops and start WW3!
Certainly, the Biden Administration has always made clear that US/NATO troops were off the table. Now, if Russia attacks a NATO member, that would be bad, and could escalate. Further, no one seriously believed that Ukraine could prevent Russia from making gains (and even complete control of Ukraine is not out of the question). That said, capturing the Donbas is not the same as holding the Donbas or governing the Donbas.

Just editing to add that, in a practical sense, US national security aims have already (largely) been achieved here, in terms of a re-awakened, strengthened, and enlarged NATO, as well as a weakened Russia, that has more clearly identified itself as a rogue, pariah state, in league with other rogue, pariah states of the world. So, we can weep for the loss of Ukrainian and Russian lives, but US national security has already won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 09:22 AM

1,170 posts, read 536,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
Certainly, the Biden Administration has always made clear that US/NATO troops were off the table. Now, if Russia attacks a NATO member, that would be bad, and could escalate. Further, no one seriously believed that Ukraine could prevent Russia from making gains (and even complete control of Ukraine is not out of the question). That said, capturing the Donbas is not the same as holding the Donbas or governing the Donbas.
oh my god - THE DONBAS IS A SEPARATIST REGION - THEY WANT TO BE PART OF RUSSIA

What you need to know about Ukraine's separatist regions

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine...netsk-luhansk/

"When Ukraine's Moscow-friendly president was driven from office by mass protests in February 2014, Russia responded by annexing Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula. It then threw its weight behind an insurgency in the mostly Russian-speaking eastern Ukraine region known as Donbas.

In April 2014, Russia-backed rebels seized government buildings in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, proclaimed the creation of "people's republics" and battled Ukrainian troops and volunteer battalions.

The following month, the separatist regions held a popular vote to declare independence and make a bid to become part of Russia."

Old 07-05-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
oh my god - THE DONBAS IS A SEPARATIST REGION - THEY WANT TO BE PART OF RUSSIA

What you need to know about Ukraine's separatist regions

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine...netsk-luhansk/

"When Ukraine's Moscow-friendly president was driven from office by mass protests in February 2014, Russia responded by annexing Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula. It then threw its weight behind an insurgency in the mostly Russian-speaking eastern Ukraine region known as Donbas.

In April 2014, Russia-backed rebels seized government buildings in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, proclaimed the creation of "people's republics" and battled Ukrainian troops and volunteer battalions.

The following month, the separatist regions held a popular vote to declare independence and make a bid to become part of Russia."
The polling on that issue is pretty tough to read and (I think) has been a bit all over the place. Certainly, I recall one post-invasion report reflecting that, many ethnic Russians in the Donbas weren't so keen on joining Russia after being bombed into liberation.

Here's some info from 2019:

https://theconversation.com/most-peo...-survey-124849

Old 07-05-2022, 09:37 AM

1,170 posts, read 536,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
The polling on that issue is pretty tough to read and (I think) has been a bit all over the place. Certainly, I recall one post-invasion report reflecting that, many ethnic Russians in the Donbas weren't so keen on joining Russia after being bombed into liberation.[/url]
i swear there's a mischievous elementary school teacher in the city who has their students posting here

THE DONBAS WAS SHELLED BY UKRAINE, NOT RUSSIA

didn't i just post a video this morning of zelensky stating his intention to go to war with the donbas?

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video...EVa.mp4?tag=12

Old 07-05-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
i swear there's a mischievous elementary school teacher in the city who has their students posting here

THE DONBAS WAS SHELLED BY UKRAINE, NOT RUSSIA

didn't i just post a video this morning of zelensky stating his intention to go to war with the donbas?

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video...EVa.mp4?tag=12
When you say "go to war," hasn't there been a low level war going on in the Donbas since 2014? Do you have any good sources for what the people of the Donbas favor now? I mean, even that "vote" in 2014 is a bit sketchy -- here's just one article on the issue: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27360146

So, Ukraine bombed Donbas, therefore, Russia needs to bomb Donbas x100 or x1000 or (pick your superlative) to "liberate" these folks? How does that make sense?

Old 07-05-2022, 10:15 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
this thread is hilarious

wake me up when the criminal trials begin
Bingo

Old 07-05-2022, 10:29 AM

437 posts, read 187,823 times
Quote:
time to send in NATO troops and start WW3!

and if we need to implement a draft like during vietnam - that won't be a problem because there's "bipartisan support"
I really hope that all the individuals boasting that they "stand with Ukraine" are the first ones to be drafted. Same goes for all of those individuals who put that in their social media bios along with the flag of Ukraine. Same for all those with yard signs, car stickers and Ukraine flags flying outside their homes.

Really looking forward to see how long and fervent they "stand with Ukraine." More like curl up in a fetal position and crap their pants faster than Senile Joe in Vatican City when they arrive in Ukraine.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
I really hope that all the individuals boasting that they "stand with Ukraine" are the first ones to be drafted. Same goes for all of those individuals who put that in their social media bios along with the flag of Ukraine. Same for all those with yard signs, car stickers and Ukraine flags flying outside their homes.

Really looking forward to see how long and fervent they "stand with Ukraine." More like curl up in a fetal position and crap their pants faster than Senile Joe in Vatican City when they arrive in Ukraine.
You've gone all in on the ole "crap your pants" thing, as you've used it multiple times recently. I'm recalling, I believe, The Naked and the Dead, and the oft-repeated references to soldiers keeping a "tight ass-hole." So, maybe even professional soldiers have this issue from time to time.

You can try to lie and make it otherwise, but there is bipartisan support for US aid to Ukraine. Should we draft Kevin McCarthy and Mitch McConnell, who also supported the most recent aid package?

Old 07-05-2022, 10:36 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post

Bingo. They should be there already helping them fight, and should be sending them money to aid in their fight.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo. They should be there already helping them fight, and should be sending them money to aid in their fight.
Why should we be sending money over to fight? That seems just ridiculous? Our tax dollars are supporting this -- the "altruism" (if you believe in that concept or in the morality of this particular fight) is secondary -- this is in the US national interest and a bipartisan collection of representatives understands this, notwithstanding the fact that a cadre of Far Right, America Firsters, or Trump Apologists or whatever (including, recall, PA's own Scott Perry, recent of asking for a pardon fame; and trying to undermine the DOJ; and pushing bogus videos about Italian satellites changing ballots). So, yep, if you stand with Perry, then you're good to oppose the consensus, US national security position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh